Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

^ He scored a class point early in the game, and started well, but that was about it from him. Decent player, but not someone made for being part of a 2 man full forward line.
Its unfair on him as thats not a role he is good at or used to.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1113 - 11/03/2013 19:59:41    1347567

Link

Totally agree.I was simply pointing out that we did indeed have a forward score from play. If we are going to play so defensively mabey we need Brendan Murphy as target man. Any sign of JJ Smyth coming back?Sean Gannon played well when introduced yesterday.Derek Hayden and John Murphy could be a decent mid field partnership imo.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 11/03/2013 20:29:59    1347608

Link

Minchin is not up to it in my opinion.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 12/03/2013 09:35:19    1347738

Link

Rainbow was criticised for team selection in earlier round and took a change of course in Limerick. He is still finding out about players and it will be a few more games before he knows his best fifteen and best positioning.
I see his comments about the ball being brought forward for the winning free. This is player indiscipline and proved costly.
Most of Limerick's scores seem to have been from frees; was this because of Carlow fouling, great defending or poor Limerick forward play?

This morning's Carlow People report was cheer leading. We need them to report on the game and give us good analysis.

We have a negative scoring difference but are conceding low scores. Forward play appears to be the issue and there is no marquee forward in the team. Do we have any in the county? Intercounty teams would need to be scoring 16+ per game on average to have any hope of victory. If that isnt realistic for us, maybe Rainbow needs to be even more defensive. It seems we won't win a shootout.

Entertainment is for the circus; intercounty football is judged on success. I would be very happy if we had won all our games by a point instead of losing them narrowly as we have done for the past few Leagues.

What do you think?

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 12/03/2013 10:29:38    1347778

Link

Winning the last 3 games is a big ask alright. But the toughest one by far is in Tullamore. Paddy Power have Offaly at 1/2 to win the game. I think this is great value on Offaly actually. If we can somehow win that, then two home games against Clare and Waterford (who could well be out of the hunt at that point) to win promotion looks a lot more achievable.

Tactics for Tullamore: Hayden (if he's eligible. Can someone confirm?) in the forwards, Walker with a less restricted role, and a more concrete tactic for using Brendan Murphy. I can only assume that what we're seeing at the start of games, the idea is that if Carlow win the throw up the player is supposed to boot it straight down to Murphy who might catch the defence off-guard and get a score. Otherwise, why move him outfield after the 1st minute? I like the idea of him close to goal for more of the game. He's a huge threat when he gets running with the ball.

I can see what Rainbow is trying to achieve defensively, but you cant win games with the low scores we've been putting up the last couple weeks

thinlizzy (Carlow) - Posts: 263 - 12/03/2013 10:43:05    1347790

Link

Chicken and egg Thin Lizzy! If we bring a man back we are better in defence and concede less. If we leave him forward we should score more but will we also allow teams score easier against us.
Brendan at full forward might be an option. If he can catch that ball, turn and run at the full back, anything could come of it. He will probably win penalties every game as it looks to me he dives and pulls his marker down with him. Was pulled up twice on Sunday. I know he gets a lot of attention too.
It will be no different to the other games - a point or two one way or the other.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 12/03/2013 11:13:15    1347828

Link

Its fine having an extra defender if it actually works - we have continued with this plan for the last 7 games and teams are running through us with great ease. Limerick should have been much further ahead in the first 20 mins were it not for poor shooting and the crossbar not because Carlow were defending brilliantly. As soon as the backs send the ball up the field its back just as quick. I think our backs are our top scorers from play at present mostly because they have no option but to go for a score themselves as they cant find a carlow forward! This type of football is so negative and puts so much pressure on our defense. How long do you persist with a game plan before you decide its not working? Perhaps Sean Gannon will add a bit in attack if he is played in the half forward line - the problem is who do you drop for him - someone will be have to disappointed if they lose out having been there since October?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 12/03/2013 12:16:21    1347899

Link

Dual Its all very fine attending training for 3 months but you must show some results for this when you are given the chance. IMO several Carlow players have been given more than enough time to prove themselves, 3 OByrne cup games and 4 league games and they just havent done it. Time to change the record. Everyone at games can see this but not the management apparently. One change last Sunday that has been glaring since last year but 2or3 more needed. Forwards are a huge problem and this is not being faced up to. 3 of them need to go now.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 12/03/2013 18:12:07    1348274

Link

With Sean Gannon coming in, obviously the panel must still be open. Great to see him back, badly needed. At this stage, we need scoring forwards in too.
Is it too late to get Eric McCormack, Paul Broderick & Hughie Gahan involved?? Those 3 as a full forward line would be full of scores.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1113 - 12/03/2013 18:32:41    1348291

Link

Pennypincher - 100% agree with what you said. The only thing I would say is that perhaps there are a couple of lads who havent been given that chance yet. I would like to see Alan Callinan, Keith Jackson just to name two get a chance. There are others but i think they may be injured. If we are to ever get out of this Division we need our best team possible on pitch.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 12/03/2013 18:38:30    1348297

Link

Carlow went into the Leitrim game with the fear of loosing, hence , they lost.
They travelled to Limerick with the fear of loosing gone, came away with an encouraging final score result of 0-10 to 0-09, most agree Carlow could have come away a draw, but could easily have come away with a seven or eight point drubbing, the thing is the last two games Limerick played was bottom of the table div. 4 stuff yet they came away with the league points, and are still table toppers, I think they had a bit of luck, but they play smart too.
I said before a ball was kicked that this is not the year for Carlow to apply to challenge for promotion to div.3, Luke Dempsey left in tact the back bone of a solid Carlow team from 1 to 14 straight down the middle with a suitable replacement for each of those seven players, all his successor has to do is fill in the positions on the wings and he has most of them, in some cases it's just a matter of switching a few lads around instead of looking for replacements, however a couple may have to be found.
I also said before last Sundays game that Brendan Murphy should anchor himself to the edge of the square at least for the first half, too much ball is going through Murphy and more often than not for a variety of reasons not reaping the rewards intended. Brendan I think puts in huge effort,he takes on too much at times, in other words he plays his own game, so the team then is not really playing as a unit.
Carlow scored 1-14 in their first game, 0-13 in the second, 0-12 in the third and 0-09 in their fourth game, that's anything but encouraging, mathematically Carlow can still get promoted, but what good is that if they come tumbling back down next year, that would set them back years, this is Anthony Rainbow's first year in charge and I can't see him doing it at his first attempt, in fact I can't see him doing it at all unless there is a coach appointed, ie a manager and a coach, along with that the U/21's need a new manager ASAP.
All this will happen if the CB are taking Carlow football seriously.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1996 - 12/03/2013 20:28:55    1348376

Link

whats your thoughts on the game with us lads ?.we have being up and down this year but if we well we should beat ye by a couple points.enjoy tullamore anyway lads great town for the crack

liffo (Offaly) - Posts: 649 - 13/03/2013 11:18:37    1348607

Link

hard to know liffo, i think it will be very close a point either way

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1278 - 13/03/2013 21:48:01    1349144

Link

Carlow will be under pressure to gain two points after loosing the last two matches.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 14/03/2013 14:01:21    1349422

Link

Jack L
County: All

Carlow will be under pressure to gain two points after loosing the last two matches.

No pressure on you though,- - - your on 2026 now and rising.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1996 - 14/03/2013 15:41:10    1349510

Link

Team named for tomorrows game. Same as the team that started against Limerick.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1113 - 15/03/2013 09:58:27    1349809

Link

Pennypincher, you say willie minchin is not up to it for county yet he was the only forward to score from play against limerick, in that case our entire forward line is useless. We are not a scoring county, we rely on ledger, foley and brian murphy for frees but struggle from play. To concede 10 points and still lose is ridiculous, our defenders are playing really well. It must be hard to take to watch time after time players taking foolish shots from 30+ yards, ballooning it wide, after all their(defenders) hard work to put in a tackle and get a turnover. IMO there are at least four or five forwards that shouldn't be on the starting team at the moment, but willie minchin is not one of those players.

townman10 (Carlow) - Posts: 40 - 15/03/2013 10:41:22    1349845

Link

Pennypincher, you say willie minchin is not up to it for county yet he was the only forward to score from play against limerick, in that case our entire forward line is useless. We are not a scoring county, we rely on ledger, foley and brian murphy for frees but struggle from play. To concede 10 points and still lose is ridiculous, our defenders are playing really well. It must be hard to take to watch time after time players taking foolish shots from 30+ yards, ballooning it wide, after all their(defenders) hard work to put in a tackle and get a turnover. IMO there are at least four or five forwards that shouldn't be on the starting team at the moment, but willie minchin is not one of those players.

Willie is having a good League.
We are not a scoring county... what does that mean? Do you mean the team's scoring return has been poor in this league?
To concede 10 points and still lose is ridiculous ...... what does that mean? Why? Can it not be true that the opposition are equally good defensively?

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 15/03/2013 14:04:21    1349996

Link

Offaly are hard to figure out. They were always a proud county but in recent years they don't seem to be pulling together and a lot of their better players coming and going from the panel. On their day they have great forwards but they dont have too many of those days now.
A bright Carlow start might knock the fight out of them and we could scrape a win.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 16/03/2013 08:59:09    1350268

Link

'We are not a scoring county'
Love it!! Sound bite analysis at its best
We're not a ball winning county either
We're not a defensive county
We're not funding our own minors county
We're not getting out of Division 4 in the next ten years county
We're not a league county
We're not a championship county
Maybe..
We're not a football county!