Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Do ye never get tired of talking about Carlow footballers. They are going backwards at a rate of knots

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 09/03/2013 15:38:35    1345900

Link

very interesting results today with tipp beating clare and london beating waterford.

I said after carlow crept past london that it may prove to be a decent result and londom
may yet do us a few favours.

Should give our lads a boost for tomorrows match.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1054 - 09/03/2013 15:41:10    1345901

Link

Full Times

Clare 0-8 Tipp 1-13
London 0-14 waterford 1-10

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 09/03/2013 15:45:03    1345903

Link

hmm, tipp have opened the door for themselves

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1280 - 09/03/2013 16:54:06    1345941

Link

It really is up to the players now. Every chance being presented by the results.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1510 - 09/03/2013 18:18:45    1345992

Link

Limerick appear to be in the driving seat going into tomorrows game with Carlow and are firm favourites to collect two more points.
With a bit of self belief, play a bit smarter, and with the right calls from the line I belief Carlow can take this game to Limerick and come away with a good result. Carlow IMO, went into the Leitrim game with the fear of loseing in DCP, that pressure is off now and the fear of loosing should be gone.
It makes little or no difference wheather Shane Redmond plays at CHB or not if the rest of the team don't deliver. CHB or mid field will not be the positions where the game will be won or lost, all positions will have a say in the final match result.
Man marking is a must, less of the ball to go through Brendan Murphy for a change unless it's the thing to do and makes better sense at the time.
Murphy in fact should be anchored on the edge of the square and the ball should be pumped into him at every available opportunity, if that had to be the case in the Leitrim game then the corner backs would not have made the free runs up the full length of the pitch for fear of loosing posession and the ball being pumped back in to a n unmarked Murphy.
There will be much to write about should Carlow win this one, but there will be a hell of a lot more if they dont, - - - - and thats not directed at the players.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1999 - 09/03/2013 20:13:02    1346059

Link

By all accounts Limerick should not have beaten Waterford last week .. Waterford had 13 wides and the Limerick keeper kept them in the game. Waterford beaten by London today .... a good London side that we beat. Tipp won well today against Micko's Clare. We beat Tipp also.

LIMERICK have won their 3 games by only 2 pts, 1 pt, 2pts. By a kick of a ball they could just as easily be sitting at the bottom with no points.

So what are we afraid of. Lets go down there tomorrow and play with passion and we WILL get the result. Just BELIEVE!!!!!

Really looking forward to it. Have the sandwiches packed.

Up Carlow

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 243 - 09/03/2013 20:39:37    1346083

Link

nothing to be afraid of i was at limericks last game,they are very beatable, the best thing about their goal keeper is his kickouts and calls, im sure the carlow management were at the game last week and have their homework done?

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1280 - 09/03/2013 21:28:56    1346125

Link

romotion looks to be gone for another year

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 10/03/2013 16:33:19    1346333

Link

Couldn't make it down to Limerick today but listened on the radio. By the sounds of it we deserved a draw?

Looking at the league table and the remaining fixtures, it seems to me that as the other results went our way this weekend, if we can win our next three matches then we will definitely finish second and be promoted!! I'm basing this on the fact that if we win our next three then the only county that can also get to 10 points is Tipp and if I am not mistaken we will go up on the head to head (as scoring difference only counts if more than two finish on the same points).

Huge game in Tullamore next Saturday so!

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1197 - 10/03/2013 16:37:45    1346340

Link

Assuming Limerick don't also drop four points of course.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1197 - 10/03/2013 18:02:51    1346412

Link

Just back from Limerick - thats one hell of a cold spot!! Carlow could have come away with a draw but at the end of the day they squandered so many chances ( as did Limerick). It may have been the conditions but it was one of the worst games of football from 2 teams i have ever seen - the standard was just awful. For the first 20 mins Limerick tore through our backs with such ease and we were only saved by their wayward shooting and the crossbar. But for all their possession they couldnt pull away from us and Carlow went in at the half in the lead. Brendan Murphy started at full forward and stayed in there for just one ball and then went out to midfield - crazy when you consider the strong wind we were playing with! Benny Kavanagh played full back in the first half - it must have been to mark their no 14 i cant think of any other reason why he was there. Good to see Conor Lawlor back and Keith Jackson got a bit of a run as did Sean Gannon. Ray Walker played in his usual sweeper role!

Onion Breath we are lying 6th in the league table - Tipp, Offaly, Waterford,Clare ahead of us on the same points but with better scoring difference and then Limerick with full marks - 4/4. Leitrim and London are on 2 points below us.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 10/03/2013 19:08:35    1346482

Link

fullback: that was the best post on here. You were right. We had nothing to fear about Limerick.
Cant believe they are top of the table. I thought they would do a Leitrim on us early on. They cut through Carlow but didnt score when they could have had 2/3 goals.
After that they hardly shot from play. Even with sweeper we were cut open at start. Then they started messing around with ball like we do all the time. Ref blew Murphy for diving twice. He usually gets away with it and we get a few scores from resultant frees. Martin Doyle started instead of Tony and scored two fine points.
Conditions were bad and the two teams struggled.
But thats maybe making excuses.
The hurlers played in the same conditions but they are playing intelligently and as a team. The footballers are not. That was the big difference between the performances. I wonder would the hurlers beat the footballers?
Carlow hurlers moved ball fast and to a man running. The footballers need about five footballs as they all take too much out of it. They havent improved their game in any aspect....frustrating

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 10/03/2013 19:35:00    1346522

Link

I havent been to see carlow footballers since they played derry and after to days debacle i have no intentions of changing that, instead i support the carlow hurlers, saw them loose to wexford last sun.and loose to limerick to day, they could have won both but i am not complaining two great performances and more to follow, they are making good steady progress, its about time we woke up and realised we are not a football county

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 287 - 10/03/2013 21:18:59    1346654

Link

Yesterday in Limerick was bitterly disappointing. A clean lift off the ground by the corner forward and he was through, one on one with the keeper, surely to score and srape a draw for the hurlers. A bit more composure and it could've been a great result.

The footballers were even more frustrating, after leading for most of the game. But with 10 mins to go, even though we were 2 points up still, it felt almost inevitable that Limerick would shade it. Carlow had too many squandered scoring opportunities and missed frees in the 2nd half - though to be fair, I've kicked a wet O'Neills ball on a heavy pitch in freezing (and it was bloody freezing!!) conditions and it aint easy. Foley has been a bit off the last couple weeks, normally he's ultra reliable.

Anyway, Limerick deserved it, let's be honest. They could have been out of sight after 25 minutes only for poor shooting and the crossbar. Can't understand not playing Brendan Murphy in at full forward for the 1st half. With that strong wind, every ball should have gone straight in too him. Instead we're playing with 13 fellas (including the skillful Ray Walker and the potent Derek Hayden, though not on the field today) back in our own half, and one or two fellas up front who, no offence, struggle to even make the team, never mind create and take their own scores.

But the main problem right now is that Carlow seem capable of putting themselves in a position to win games, but then don't know how to finish them out. Hopefully that can be learned. Disappointing not to have 3 wins from 4 and a share of the top spot in the Division, but promotion is still there to be taken if we can get a positive result in Tullamore next weekend. Ahead of that game, I'll say that there isn't a thing wrong with Shane Redmond as a centre back, and Lawlor and Mernagh seem quite capable at number 3. So with Derek Hayden back, he should be back in the forwards where he's capable of causing other teams a lot of trouble

thinlizzy (Carlow) - Posts: 263 - 11/03/2013 09:26:21    1346748

Link

thinlizzy, agree with most of that.

thought the defence was better than against leitrim though and lawlor is a big plus as is John murphy.

Our problem as always is lack of scoring forwards. At 2 points up we had 4 wides from different
players, all close but we couldnt get the gap we needed.

Derek Hayden must play in the forwards next week against offaly.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1054 - 11/03/2013 11:46:44    1346884

Link

I heard the Derek is out for 2 matches which means that he will miss the match next week against Offaly - anybody know if this is correct? And why was Benny playing full back yesterday with Conor and Shane in the corners?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 11/03/2013 12:41:39    1346953

Link

Was down in Limerick yesterday and it was the first chance i got to see the footballers this year. Although the conditions were dreadful, i can understand the frustration felt but most of the supporters on this forum about this current footballing set up. Why oh why is a superb ball carrier and play maker in Ray Walker playing virtually in the full-back line? Secondly why put Brendan Murphy full-forward for one ball and then let him donkey around out the field without purpose? Surely by playing him close to goal he would cause mayhem (As in seen in the Antrim qualifier gamd in belfast 2011). I understand that Rainbow is trying to park the the bus in front of the Carlow goal but lads we were lucky not to be 10 points down after 20 minutes as Limerick drove straight through on goal time and time again and kicked wide after wide along with the Goal attempt which struck the crossbar which somehow let us off the hook. At no stage yesterday did we look like scoring a goal and this has been a problem over the last few years. However on the other hand we were unlucky not to come away with a result yesterday. Im uncertain as how we are going to find a way out of this division as I cant see us taking full points from the Offaly,Clare and Waterford games although stranger things have happened. I really hope we can turn things around!

Dirtyowlgearbag (Carlow) - Posts: 86 - 11/03/2013 15:09:45    1347166

Link

Good defensive effort yesterday, but to win games we need to score. 2 points in 2nd half is not on. All our points came from frees or backs coming forward. Never going to get enough scores with the defensive set up.
Backline was superb yesterday, having Lawlor back was huge and he had a great game. A full back line of Mernagh, Lawlor, Kavanagh is prob best in Div 4. Finally Bolger was dropped and his replacement Doyle scored 2 pts and didn't mess up at all. Huge improvement at LHB, no idea why its taken so long to spot this.
Was from here up we suffered. Murph was started at FF, but within seconds ended up back in mf, John Murphy too working around the middle. Both had good games but left us seriously short in fwds.

Minchin and Brian Murphy v 3 dfs will never work. Despite all this we still led by 2 with 15 to go, then we just stopped even trying to play and all sat back. Was far too early to revert into total defence, and it proved that.

All is not lost tho, 3 games to go...win all 3 we get promoted.
Big ask tho, no idea where the scores to win games will come from. Prob lose a 8-7 game in Tullamore on Sat to finish us off

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1113 - 11/03/2013 19:19:42    1347522

Link

Real 1944, Willie Minchin deserves credit for a nice point early on in game

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 11/03/2013 19:33:08    1347531

Link