Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Supersub 15: brave predictions there! Limerick just about; Offaly and Tipp to win too.
Dual: Agreed with your prediction too. And you dont have to be close to the team to predict it.
Think Carlow are good enough to beat this Leitrim side.
Will be interesting to see the table after the results of this round of games.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 02/03/2013 11:10:36    1341194

Link

Fulbach as old McDonald said you dont have to be close to the team to predict who will play! Every regular on here could name the Carlow team at the moment. I presume with Shane Redmond named at '10' he will be playing as the sweeper instead of Ray Walker who is lining out at '14'? Be interesting to see how Ray does as full forward. Cant understand why the management dont play Ray either midfield or wing forward where he does his the most damage. Why not put big John Murphy in at full forward? Anyway the best of luck to the lads - 3 in row for a Carlow football team!!!!!!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 02/03/2013 15:34:00    1341270

Link

Tomorrow is the real big one for this team and the league. If a win is secured it really sets them up. To win it will take a lot of hard work, a gioal or two and good direct football plus of course a tight defence that will not give away easy frees. That is a big ask but this team is now capable of delivering on all fronts. Best wishes to the team tomorrow.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1510 - 02/03/2013 18:45:35    1341336

Link

Win for Limerick tonight against Waterford in a low scoring game 8pts to 6pts. This keeps Limericks 100% winning record going. Well called Supersub one of your 3 predictions right so far!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 02/03/2013 20:43:51    1341365

Link

good win for limerick tonight over an under-performong waterford. 2 point win. dont know what final score was but waterford they kicked 13 wides and the limerick keeper had a stormer.

seany buckley came on for limerick late in the game and steadied the ship kicking a great point....... but it could have been waterford's game.

that leaves waterford on 4 points and limerick on top with 6 points. if (when) we win tomorrow we will have 6 also going into game against limerick next sunday.

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 243 - 02/03/2013 20:55:11    1341380

Link

im at a loss for words on todays game

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1278 - 03/03/2013 15:52:57    1341695

Link

I feel that it was the weight of expectation which effected Carlow today. Teams will always take points off each other in this division.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 03/03/2013 17:29:02    1341798

Link

Nonsense. Game was lost because we are still making the same mistakes in selections and way we play. Hoped we had turned the corner but no improvement and we should have conceded at least 2 more goals. Depressed.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 03/03/2013 18:26:30    1341846

Link

Depressing stuff and a long way from Tipperary. Played very poorly and still it was a game we could have won but instead we made Leitrim look good. When they went down to 14 early on the game was ours to take but what happened ..... Same old story. When we needed to keep our discipline we didn't a d gave the initiative. Ack to them.

Then we went from 1-9 to 0-10 down early in second half to 1-16 to 0-10 down shortly before the end!!! Players looked very heavy legged when they needed legs in the second half.

We need Sean Gannon back in and likewise JJ Smith as it is clear we have too many are are just not going to be good enough despite their effort and commitment. At the moment it see where we will get another win on today's form.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1186 - 03/03/2013 18:42:38    1341867

Link

dont tell me onion breath you threw this game away ASWELL!!!!!!!!

rockville (Laois) - Posts: 19 - 03/03/2013 18:48:29    1341875

Link

Fairly depressing stuff at Dr. Cullen Park today. Leitrim were the better team by far today. We saw signs in the London match that things were'nt all that different from previous years and were lucky to come away with a 1pt win. In my opinion its wrong team selection in certain positions and to be honest we could have Gooch Cooper or Bernard Brogan in our forwards but they would never be passed a ball! Lads ballooning balls from long distances preferring to shoot themselves instead of bringing our forwards into the play. One or two lads are going to have to take off their blinkers and pass to other people who arent their club colleagues! At one stage Brian Murphy was our only forward inside the Leitrim half - is this the game plan or what? As for continuing with Ray in the role of a sweeper its such a waste of his talents in my opinion if Anthony Rainbow wants to continue with that system why not just use Shane Redmond in that role but teams are running through with such ease. And whats the story with John Murphy - yet again brought on with about 3 mins to go when the match was over and of no benefit to either him or Carlow -is he not fit enough for even a half a match?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 03/03/2013 19:22:37    1341916

Link

The extra defender is not being used well. Leitrim could have scored 3 more goals today but messed up themselves. Changes are being made too late as well Dual. Anyone at all the games can see the same errors being repeated on the line and on the pitch. Groundhog Day.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 03/03/2013 20:02:21    1341947

Link

Disappointing result, few v worrying signs that previous failings are not being addressed. Run through team :
(1) Trevor O'Reilly - Played well, good shot stopper, kickouts could be better however.
(2) Shane Murphy - Struggled with step in pace to inter-county, replaced at half time. Hope he stays at it tho, seen him a couple of times for his club and always impressed.
(3) Shane Mernagh - Lack of pace a worry. Good attitude, reads game well but will surely be back up to Lawler when he gets back.
(4) Benny Kavangh - Excellent game, v sticky marker and doesnt foul. Pick of backs.
(5) Kieran Nolan - Fit lad, v committed but lack of size and poor kicking lets him down. Would be better corner back.
(6) Derek Hayden - Supremely talented but discipline once again lets him (and us) down. Didn't see incident where he was sent off as it was off the ball, ref didnt see it either but went on linesman advice.Strange that when 2 involved in altercation, 1 gets yellow and 1 gets red. Worth sticking with, he is learning....slowly!
(7) Tony Bolger - has been poor.
(8) Dara Foley - Started brightly but faded badly. Kicked some decent frees but also kicked 1 terrible one into keepers hands. Reports that he was sick during week so will be better.
(9) Shane Redmond - Played well, won a good amount of ball around middle and generally laid it off well. Not sure about midfield for him tho.
(10) Ray Walker - Played ok in 1st half but was all at sea in 2nd. Blame has to lie with Rainbow here, no way is Ray a centre back and no way should he have been left marking Leitrims best player for entire 2nd half. Mulligan had a field day in 2nd, had freedom of park.
(11) Reid - Battled hard, tackled well and showed for everything. Faded in 2nd, mightnt have a full hour in the legs anymore.
(12) Eoghan Ruth - My Carlow man of the match. Worked tirelessly, won a lot in the air, kicked some lovely scores.
(13) Willy Minchin- Never got going but service was poor. Replaced at half time.
(14) Brendan Murphy - Mixed the good with the awful. Still doesnt look 100%. Rainbow has a big job on his hands to get the max out of him, decision making really poor at times as he ignores the easy option while constantly trying the million dollar shot or pass. When they come off great, but too many dont.
(15) Brian Murphy - Worked hard to be fair and kicked some decent frees.

Overall- Rainbow has correct tactics with extra defender. When it was 14 v 14 Leitrim players poured through too many gaps in our backline. We need an extra defender back there to help out, just not sure that Walker is that man. Also Lawler, Gannon, John Murphy, maybe Padraig Murphy are badly needed. All outfield players need to take on more responsibilty and not just look to Brendan all the time. Need a ball winner inside for longer balls, we are v 1 dimensional with everything going through Brendan and slow build ups which modern massed defences will soak up every time and then just hit us on the break.

Danoli (Carlow) - Posts: 62 - 03/03/2013 20:06:29    1341954

Link

Was at game today. Very frustrating to any one standing on the line looking at that display. A county team training since october 4 time a week at least and not bing able to sustain a 70 min game. There is some thing not right with the preperation of the team.
Playing a sweeper from the start of the game against ateam who have not won a game is total negative. Leitrim took at least 5 quick out in the first half and score 3 point off them, with our man standing in the back line looking on. Why not push one player forward from each line for their kick outs and make them kick it long where our mid fielders can compete for it.
Their goal came from Brendan Murphy shooting from 47 m with 2 runners on his shoulder.
In the 2nd half we kicked 4 wides from the corner. 2 gaol chances and their goalie never moved to stop them, they hit him!!!!
How can every one in the place see shane redmond out of position and ray walker in the same boat. Ray is a strong carrier of the ball and would breal tackles going across the half forward line. Shane is natural facing the ball and would be suited to playing no 6.
three 45m frees and all players in the square waiting for them to land in Can we not develop some tatic to stop this rubish. they know daniel is out and no one else can kick the ball over from there. develop a tatic please.

We dont need to train or play harder just smarter

stock (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 03/03/2013 20:32:27    1341989

Link

Benekerry
County: Cavan

We played two and won two but not decisively, in fact both by the minimum, it's great to have four point at this stage, however should Carlow be fortunate enough to get promoted with anything less than clear cut victories from here on it's no good. We don't at this stage have an established or settled starting fifteen, Leitrim are looking at Carlow and London for four points, and make no mistake about it they have us earmarked for the first two, they had a very successful FBD campaign, ok so they got off to a bad start in the league for reasons better known to themselves and thats what makes me approach this game with extreme caution as they are much better than their opening league results.
I would prefer to set in place this year a committed, and established team that selects it self with a bench of the same standard, work towards achieving third place in the league table this year and pull out all the stops for promotion next year, there's not much point in getting promoted this year if we can't stay up, and get relegated the following year, anyway we are a bit away yet from being a promotion prospect at this stage, but just a bit.

Well this really takes the biscuit...
Carlow cannot win in the eyes of some contributors on here. You are prepared o make allowances for Leitrim who lost their two games but criticise Carlow for winning there two games!
Can I suggest you don't ever put your name forward for team management!
Having opinions is all well and good but really who benefits from these posts?
What does a post like this add to Carlow football?
The only thing posts like this do is undermine players confidence in themselves and in the management team. I mean what are you going to write if we do lose a game or two?

I don't want to say I told you so but I did see this result coming, to qualify some of that Leitrim now have their batteries recharged after their recent success in the FBD league and after beating all the big guns on their way to the final. We can count our selves lucky we were not beaten by more, for example their corner back (2) missed the easiest of open goal chances, they were also denied a legit penalty, their full forward also missed an open goal chance, we had no answer to their power house center forward (Emlyn Mulligan) and their full forward ( James Clancy), in fact their full forward line was always in control, Leitrim were more committed and played with great heart, they won all the short kick out's.
The positives for us, we are not at all as bad as the score line suggests, we allowed Leitrim to dictate the game, we were not man marking, we gave away a lot of posession we had as, ie bad passing and taking the wrong options, we too had some bad wides, Carlow battled on as best they could, 'till the final whistle, to go to Limerick next and come home with two points is a big ask,- but, sure there's no harm in asking.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1996 - 03/03/2013 20:58:30    1342023

Link

After been on the front toot for the early partof the league, sunday's match against Limerick is a 4 pointer.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 04/03/2013 09:04:37    1342103

Link

supersub 15
Sorry but disagree. Carlow won the first two games. End of story. They both set out to win yesterday. One team better organised, better teamwork and playing to strengths. Carlow were not that team yesterday.
Commitment is not in doubt and graft won first two games. But yesterday saw flaws that they must eradicate. Nothing that cannot be corrected if the management see them and act now.
Team selection continues to raise question marks though - based on what we see on the pitch.

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 04/03/2013 09:34:51    1342116

Link

The front toot - Jack L? I hope you were the only one indulging on Saturday night!

I am not trying to stir trouble and I wasn't at the game, but I am shocked by the team selection and Rainbow's crazy tactics. He was a ridiculously dumb appointment to begin with as I said at the time and I am not changing my mind on that. He was part of the same failed management team of last year who played guys out of position and selected others who are just not up to it.
What Carlow need is an experienced tactician. A Micko or a Boylan or if we can't afford that, a very very experienced club manager who knows the game inside out.

The sweeper system makes some sense when you consider how leaky our backs have been in recent years. But why use Ray Walker there and play Shane Redmond as a forward? Then why when your centre back is put off, continue to use last years centre back as a wing forward And leave the best club midfielder in the county as a centre back? It's hair brained.

And why bring on John Murphy with 3 minutes left when the game is over? If he's not fit do not play him at all or if he is being him on with 25 minutes left.

Leitrim are a very poor side, mainly because most of their good players have left Ireland - they hammered Carlow yesterday, at home.

Carkow have a talented bunch of players right now, who seem to be committed, but the county board has handed them a management team who are clearly out of their depth. If they had the testicles, they'd bring in a manager to help him right away and leave him as a coach.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 04/03/2013 09:58:47    1342148

Link

Surely it is a bit early to be blaming management which seesm to be the culture when there is a bad result. People were delighted to see rainbow installed as manager. Now people are questioning his team selections.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 04/03/2013 09:59:59    1342156

Link

Jack L, I never once criticised Luke Dempsey during his four years. That was because Luke's mission was to stabilise things in Carlow - which he did.

After Luke, we needed to push on to the next level. However, the county board replaced an experienced manager who had stabilised things and only really messed up last year when he became stale, with an unproven manager. We needed someone who knows what they are doing!

I was hoping they would appoint either a very experienced outsider or if that was not possible go to Joe Murphy or even Turlough.

What we have now is the worst of all worlds, a rookie manager who obviously doesn't even know what position suits the players, learning on the job.

How could anybody could leave Shane Redmond as a forward while Ray Walker is totally of position and their centre forward is running amok? Even a 15 year old in the stand would know that was crazy. It's such a pity because we have the best squad that we have had for years. They deserve a proven manager.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 04/03/2013 10:35:41    1342189

Link