Carlow Forum

CARLOW SFC

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

We all like to give out but I think in fairness, the fixtures are run off well enough in Carlow, a lot better than in some counties. Not an easy job dealing with clubs who look for games off during the year for no reason. I know Dublin are very successful but they've held their senior finals on Friday & Monday nights in the past. If that happened in Carlow we'd slate them.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1086 - 27/09/2019 10:35:21    2239583

Link

Replying To fergie:  "We all like to give out but I think in fairness, the fixtures are run off well enough in Carlow, a lot better than in some counties. Not an easy job dealing with clubs who look for games off during the year for no reason. I know Dublin are very successful but they've held their senior finals on Friday & Monday nights in the past. If that happened in Carlow we'd slate them."
That plays a big role in it, clubs looking for games to be moved quite often with little or no reason, over all id have to say I'm fairly happy with the fixtures. The debacle over this weekend's games probably could have been averted though by either moving the intermediate game to mid week or running of the hurling shc earlier, I think there is a big case for the latter as we only have 4 teams at present

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1272 - 27/09/2019 13:28:47    2239629

Link

Replying To hogg:  "Well you should refuse to fulfil the fixture. Only way to deal with this. Whinging on forum won't get it done."
I don't whinge on a forum. I have been involved in this type of scenario before. So I m just informing you of how it is. Not fulfilling the fixture solves this immediate problem which is a short term fix. The problem is bigger. I can give you as many examples of as you want how clubs are treated differently in terms of fixtures and postponement, and how player welfare isn't considered and how one code seems to have preference over another. I say that from experience.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2602 - 27/09/2019 15:09:59    2239661

Link

Replying To fergie:  "We all like to give out but I think in fairness, the fixtures are run off well enough in Carlow, a lot better than in some counties. Not an easy job dealing with clubs who look for games off during the year for no reason. I know Dublin are very successful but they've held their senior finals on Friday & Monday nights in the past. If that happened in Carlow we'd slate them."
Slight difference in the number of clubs and how long dublin are in the championship to compare us and them!! But I like your optimistic outlook!!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2602 - 27/09/2019 15:42:04    2239669

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "That plays a big role in it, clubs looking for games to be moved quite often with little or no reason, over all id have to say I'm fairly happy with the fixtures. The debacle over this weekend's games probably could have been averted though by either moving the intermediate game to mid week or running of the hurling shc earlier, I think there is a big case for the latter as we only have 4 teams at present"
Dragging out the SHC is THE problem.it should be played long before the football. Playing SHfinal in October is nonsense. This has crept in over the last few years and I can't understand why.play hurling in the summer months on the top of the ground not in the wet Autumn.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 28/09/2019 15:34:56    2239835

Link

Listening to kclr, the semi between btown and eire og didnt seem to be much of a game.
1.30 to 0.5 for e og. It seems they have abandoned their defensive system from last year.
Gutted for btown who have done so well in all grades in their first year.
Should be decent co final but pal will need to up their game and not let eire og go ahead early..

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 251 - 28/09/2019 21:33:51    2239897

Link

Replying To novalis:  "Listening to kclr, the semi between btown and eire og didnt seem to be much of a game.
1.30 to 0.5 for e og. It seems they have abandoned their defensive system from last year.
Gutted for btown who have done so well in all grades in their first year.
Should be decent co final but pal will need to up their game and not let eire og go ahead early.."
I don't think they have abandoned it. They set up with the 45 loaded with players but it was clear from the 1st minute it was going to be a one-sided affair as most would have predicted, so they pushed up but id be expecting normal service to resume for the final.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1272 - 28/09/2019 22:15:07    2239906

Link

After Eire Ogs performance last night,I think the final is already a one horse race.bagnalstown simply never played or put in any real effort.Palatine will be up against it v Eire Og who are really peaking at the right time.The question really is now how low can Pal keep the score down ? Their forwards were brilliant last night

Upthemiddle12 (Carlow) - Posts: 16 - 29/09/2019 07:48:07    2239938

Link

Replying To Upthemiddle12:  "Bagbalstown will be a real test for Eire Og...confidence is high and will not fear them.Palatine will really test Rathvilly,Pal should pull through with superior fitness.Brian Murphy will be a big addittion if he plays which might give them the edge."
I don't think Eire Og will see it as a one horse race. They will not allow complacency to set in. Palatine are a proud club with a great tradition and will put it up to Eire Og no doubt. I think Eire Og will triumph as I see their forwards having too much for Pal. Eire Og by 5 I think.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 203 - 29/09/2019 13:53:32    2240025

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Not sure if that's the case. I think the all Ireland qualifiers pushed back county final dates."
No it is the case. The football championship could be run off in two months in Carlow if the county board wanted to, but because the provincial championships don't start until mid October they space it out. As I have said this is the same in every county, except Dublin. With the All Ireland club championship finals scheduled to be played earlier from next year, we could see the club championships played earlier in the year

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 60 - 29/09/2019 19:24:55    2240087

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "I don't think they have abandoned it. They set up with the 45 loaded with players but it was clear from the 1st minute it was going to be a one-sided affair as most would have predicted, so they pushed up but id be expecting normal service to resume for the final."
Agree with you on the defensive system, however their defence wasn't threatened much as Bagenalstown didn't pose much of a threat up front except maybe young Kane. Everything Eire Og touched turned to scores. Some of their scores were excellent especially in the conditions. They definitely would have preferred more of a test for next week. It'll be hard to see where Pal will stop their attacking threat. Pal will have the match ups for maybe 2 or 3 of the Eire Og forwards but I don't see them having the players to stop all 6 forwards, plus the 2 or 3 to come off the bench like last night. Does anyone know if Moran will be back for Pal for the weekend? I thought he was arguably Carlows best player this year and last year and would be a boost to have him back. Pal will pose a threat going forward with the likes of Jack Brennan, Crowley, Kenny and O'Neill. I reckon if Pal can stop Eire Og from getting the ball in quick and get their match ups right then they have a chance, but I think Eire Og's forwards and bench will be the winning of the game.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 60 - 29/09/2019 19:40:27    2240094

Link

How did Bagnelstown reach the semi final?? Is the standard that bad?
Conceding 31 scores is any senior championship football game is unheard of let alone a semi final. Shocking stuff

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 255 - 30/09/2019 10:09:38    2240213

Link

Replying To GAA_WayOfLife:  "Agree with you on the defensive system, however their defence wasn't threatened much as Bagenalstown didn't pose much of a threat up front except maybe young Kane. Everything Eire Og touched turned to scores. Some of their scores were excellent especially in the conditions. They definitely would have preferred more of a test for next week. It'll be hard to see where Pal will stop their attacking threat. Pal will have the match ups for maybe 2 or 3 of the Eire Og forwards but I don't see them having the players to stop all 6 forwards, plus the 2 or 3 to come off the bench like last night. Does anyone know if Moran will be back for Pal for the weekend? I thought he was arguably Carlows best player this year and last year and would be a boost to have him back. Pal will pose a threat going forward with the likes of Jack Brennan, Crowley, Kenny and O'Neill. I reckon if Pal can stop Eire Og from getting the ball in quick and get their match ups right then they have a chance, but I think Eire Og's forwards and bench will be the winning of the game."
I think palatines biggest problem is that they don't believe they can beat eire og in a final. But they definitely won't go out as cavalier as bagenalstown did Saturday night. I'd be expecting to see pal pack out the back line and try catch eire og on the counter. Eire og are set up for that though so it could be a very low scoring affair. It would be a huge shock if eire og were beaten and I can't see it happening I'd be expecting them to win by 5-6 points

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1272 - 30/09/2019 10:11:49    2240216

Link

Replying To GAA_WayOfLife:  "Agree with you on the defensive system, however their defence wasn't threatened much as Bagenalstown didn't pose much of a threat up front except maybe young Kane. Everything Eire Og touched turned to scores. Some of their scores were excellent especially in the conditions. They definitely would have preferred more of a test for next week. It'll be hard to see where Pal will stop their attacking threat. Pal will have the match ups for maybe 2 or 3 of the Eire Og forwards but I don't see them having the players to stop all 6 forwards, plus the 2 or 3 to come off the bench like last night. Does anyone know if Moran will be back for Pal for the weekend? I thought he was arguably Carlows best player this year and last year and would be a boost to have him back. Pal will pose a threat going forward with the likes of Jack Brennan, Crowley, Kenny and O'Neill. I reckon if Pal can stop Eire Og from getting the ball in quick and get their match ups right then they have a chance, but I think Eire Og's forwards and bench will be the winning of the game."
Think Moran is gone for the year.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 30/09/2019 19:08:09    2240433

Link

1st championship games I got to this year.

Kil/Clon vs N. Eoin. Conditions played a big part in this game so in the end a fair result.
Cillian Redmond although listed among the subs had an outstanding game for K/C
I know he is committed to hurlers but what an addition J.M. Nolan (N.E.) would be to the footballers.

Bagenalstown v E Og was a miss match. The pace and accuracy of the EO forwards finished off the game in first 10 mins. B Gaels defence were way off their men so no tackles were made.
E Og brought on 3 subs with 20 min to go and they must have scored 10 points between them. Very strong panel. Pal will need to be at their best on Sunday to mount a challenge.

Unfortunately will miss the final but would expect a 4/5 point win for EO.

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 243 - 01/10/2019 14:11:29    2240641

Link

Replying To fullbach:  "1st championship games I got to this year.

Kil/Clon vs N. Eoin. Conditions played a big part in this game so in the end a fair result.
Cillian Redmond although listed among the subs had an outstanding game for K/C
I know he is committed to hurlers but what an addition J.M. Nolan (N.E.) would be to the footballers.

Bagenalstown v E Og was a miss match. The pace and accuracy of the EO forwards finished off the game in first 10 mins. B Gaels defence were way off their men so no tackles were made.
E Og brought on 3 subs with 20 min to go and they must have scored 10 points between them. Very strong panel. Pal will need to be at their best on Sunday to mount a challenge.

Unfortunately will miss the final but would expect a 4/5 point win for EO."
Agree with you thay E O forwards could do no wrong v Bagenalstown Gaels is and their subs scored very freely also. The YI's did look in a different class on the night which in very difficult playing conditions. What effect will that match have for both EO and Pal? Will EO know their best team... will they get swelled heads... will Pal be overawed ? Or will Pal be motivated.ro really pull out all the stops? Interesting final awaits !
Pa looked.very good going forward against Rathvilly who were out of sorts in a number of areas with some frees going wide that would normally be scored and when Brendan went off injured, Rathvilly had no focal point for their outfield players. He was an early menace for the Pal team and they were decidedly uncomfortable with him in the no 14 position.
If Pal get a good start they have a chance... if EO get their noses in front it is hard to see Pal getting back to win.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1508 - 01/10/2019 15:58:15    2240690

Link

Should be 2 entertaining games on Sunday.
2 excellent minor teams Bagenalstown and Eire Og. ....this grade is now u-17 so most of the players are 15/16 year olds.

Senior should be a close game. Pal have come back from a disappointing start to make rhe final as have Eire Og but looking at the semis Eire Og seem to be peaking at the right time.

Would go for a 2 point win for E. Og.

A POINT:
semi finals were €15 admission, very expensive for family. I hope they dont try to push it up to €20 or I for one will turn around at the gate and listen to it on radio.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 251 - 05/10/2019 01:09:01    2241445

Link

Bad conditions again for Kildavin and Myshall. Better game this time around although the rain does seem to curtail some of the silkier forwards. Blues v Kildavin should be a cracker if the weather is dry. Eire og to win senior by 2-12 to 10.

anFhrainc (Carlow) - Posts: 62 - 06/10/2019 12:43:01    2241585

Link

Bad conditions again for Kildavin and Myshall. Better game this time around although the rain does seem to curtail some of the silkier forwards. Blues v Kildavin should be a cracker if the weather is dry. Eire og to win senior by 2-12 to 10.

anFhrainc (Carlow) - Posts: 62 - 06/10/2019 13:05:17    2241588

Link

Oh that was probably the worst county final I was at. Two teams playing at very different levels. I thought after the semis it would be hard to see palatine being competitive and it proved to be the case. Well done to eire og they seem to have abandoned the negative football and have a good panel with plenty of pace in the forward line. They could go on and win 6 or 7 in a row as I don't see any teams emerging to take them on. Not sure how good they are as football is fairly low atm in the county

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1272 - 06/10/2019 18:05:58    2241634

Link