Carlow Forum

CARLOW SFC

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I have been really impressed by Bagenalstown this year from what I saw. Their win over Palatine in the group wasn't a fluke as they worked hard all over the pitch, plus the win last week will give them a massive boost of confidence. They are a very fit side and have a number of experienced players like John Doyle in midfield who has been impressive this year and the last number of years at senior level. The two Clarkes have really stepped up and are showing their county experience has helped them massively.However I think Éire Óg might just have that bit too much for them this weekend with the likes of Gannon, Hayden and Kavanagh, plus others, having the experience of seeing out tight games and winning championships. Bagenalstowns time will come I reckon in the next few years but this weekend might be a step too far. Éire Óg by 3 I reckon.
Rathvilly and Palatine will be a tight game. Rathvilly will want to get one over on Palatine after last years semi final where they didn't register a score in the first half if my memory serves me correct. They have been playing Murphy on the edge of the square with the hope of killing off teams early. If Palatine can stop the ball out the field they have a good chance. Palatine had a good win last week over Tinryland. They were comfortable really despite the score being close in the first half. The late goal will worry them however. I'd say this game could be low scoring but I reckon Rathvilly will win by 1 or 2 points.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 60 - 20/09/2019 10:52:56    2237783

Link

Replying To GAA_WayOfLife:  "I have been really impressed by Bagenalstown this year from what I saw. Their win over Palatine in the group wasn't a fluke as they worked hard all over the pitch, plus the win last week will give them a massive boost of confidence. They are a very fit side and have a number of experienced players like John Doyle in midfield who has been impressive this year and the last number of years at senior level. The two Clarkes have really stepped up and are showing their county experience has helped them massively.However I think Éire Óg might just have that bit too much for them this weekend with the likes of Gannon, Hayden and Kavanagh, plus others, having the experience of seeing out tight games and winning championships. Bagenalstowns time will come I reckon in the next few years but this weekend might be a step too far. Éire Óg by 3 I reckon.
Rathvilly and Palatine will be a tight game. Rathvilly will want to get one over on Palatine after last years semi final where they didn't register a score in the first half if my memory serves me correct. They have been playing Murphy on the edge of the square with the hope of killing off teams early. If Palatine can stop the ball out the field they have a good chance. Palatine had a good win last week over Tinryland. They were comfortable really despite the score being close in the first half. The late goal will worry them however. I'd say this game could be low scoring but I reckon Rathvilly will win by 1 or 2 points."
The Clarke's interco experience???what their experience of sitting on the bench for 95%of games over the last 2 years. Rathvilly were shocking tonight.brendan Murphy kept them in it singlehandedly in 1st half. Second half was a joke. After 25 mins they had scored 1 point (from a free)and Brendan went off injured that was that. Too many old timers who are not able for senior football anymore. Stephen Reilly is a serious player.was he asked in to county ever,does anyone know?

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 21/09/2019 21:56:31    2238150

Link

Replying To GAA_WayOfLife:  "I have been really impressed by Bagenalstown this year from what I saw. Their win over Palatine in the group wasn't a fluke as they worked hard all over the pitch, plus the win last week will give them a massive boost of confidence. They are a very fit side and have a number of experienced players like John Doyle in midfield who has been impressive this year and the last number of years at senior level. The two Clarkes have really stepped up and are showing their county experience has helped them massively.However I think Éire Óg might just have that bit too much for them this weekend with the likes of Gannon, Hayden and Kavanagh, plus others, having the experience of seeing out tight games and winning championships. Bagenalstowns time will come I reckon in the next few years but this weekend might be a step too far. Éire Óg by 3 I reckon.
Rathvilly and Palatine will be a tight game. Rathvilly will want to get one over on Palatine after last years semi final where they didn't register a score in the first half if my memory serves me correct. They have been playing Murphy on the edge of the square with the hope of killing off teams early. If Palatine can stop the ball out the field they have a good chance. Palatine had a good win last week over Tinryland. They were comfortable really despite the score being close in the first half. The late goal will worry them however. I'd say this game could be low scoring but I reckon Rathvilly will win by 1 or 2 points."
The Clarke's interco experience???what their experience of sitting on the bench for 95%of games over the last 2 years. Rathvilly were shocking tonight.brendan Murphy kept them in it singlehandedly in 1st half. Second half was a joke. After 25 mins they had scored 1 point (from a free)and Brendan went off injured that was that. Too many old timers who are not able for senior football anymore. Stephen Reilly is a serious player.was he asked in to county ever,does anyone know?

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 21/09/2019 21:58:43    2238151

Link

Replying To hogg:  "The Clarke's interco experience???what their experience of sitting on the bench for 95%of games over the last 2 years. Rathvilly were shocking tonight.brendan Murphy kept them in it singlehandedly in 1st half. Second half was a joke. After 25 mins they had scored 1 point (from a free)and Brendan went off injured that was that. Too many old timers who are not able for senior football anymore. Stephen Reilly is a serious player.was he asked in to county ever,does anyone know?"
Ye he played a couple of O Byrne cup games few years ago.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1086 - 22/09/2019 09:08:06    2238188

Link

Replying To fergie:  "Ye he played a couple of O Byrne cup games few years ago."
Was he Yeah! Definitely worth another shot if he's interested.excellent attacking defender.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 23/09/2019 01:43:07    2238409

Link

anyone else think it was absolutely the right call to call off the IFC semi final and the SFC semi yesterday? pitch was like a river and at the end of the day player welfare is the most important. Arm bands needed to get down the tunnel by the looks of the picture!

I see the games are Re-fixed for next saturday evening, is this definite? i taught it was a hurling weekend next weekend which would surely rule out Baganalstown (sfc semi/ ihc) and myshall and kildavin with players from the latter hurling with ballinkllen?

LetItIn6 (Wexford) - Posts: 20 - 23/09/2019 07:22:22    2238414

Link

Replying To LetItIn6:  "anyone else think it was absolutely the right call to call off the IFC semi final and the SFC semi yesterday? pitch was like a river and at the end of the day player welfare is the most important. Arm bands needed to get down the tunnel by the looks of the picture!

I see the games are Re-fixed for next saturday evening, is this definite? i taught it was a hurling weekend next weekend which would surely rule out Baganalstown (sfc semi/ ihc) and myshall and kildavin with players from the latter hurling with ballinkllen?"
B'town are in the IHC final so they've no game. Might be few from myshall playing inter in both & couple from KC with Ballinkillen but still probably best option.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1086 - 23/09/2019 09:49:20    2238434

Link

Yeah, it ll be interesting to see if the right call is made on those overlapping with hurling teams - including our own club. As a ballinkillen supporter, I d have huge issue with expecting the lads to line out in 2 big games in less than 24 hours. Wouldn't happen with certain clubs, of that I am sure.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2602 - 23/09/2019 11:14:11    2238462

Link

Could they have put the intermediate football game on Thursday / Friday night. Give those few affected a bit of extra time to prepare for the hurling semi final on Sunday.

The relegation game has been put on tomorrow evening.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1813 - 23/09/2019 12:11:50    2238478

Link

It's a bit of a mess alright. With Bagenalstown already confirmed to be playing in the Leinster Intermediate hurling championship, I would presume it would be best for the county board to play the football this Saturday as the senior football county final is the following week. That would allow the county board to fix the Intermediate hurling final depending on how Bagenalstown do in the football.
For the hurling, would the county board not cancel the semi final this weekend and play it the following weekend with the final played two weeks later (on the 20th October)? This would have no bearing on the provincial dates as the winners aren't out until the first weekend in November.
*On a sidenote it would throw up an interesting dilemma for Bagenalstown if they were to win the senior football as they would be out in Leinster on the same weekend for both codes.*

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 60 - 23/09/2019 22:53:09    2238660

Link

Replying To hurlingguru:  "Could they have put the intermediate football game on Thursday / Friday night. Give those few affected a bit of extra time to prepare for the hurling semi final on Sunday.

The relegation game has been put on tomorrow evening."
People will give out regardless what night they're on. Already seen comments online elsewhere about tonight's game being refixed so no win situation for county board. I'm sure they don't want to move either county final date back just over last weekend.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1086 - 24/09/2019 12:31:16    2238756

Link

Whatever about moving football fixtures, but to have 2 teams in the same parish out in the one night is just madness. Ballinabranna and n brid out tonight in big games for both. Why was this necessary? The relegation final can be played anytime. N brid are one club with a proud hurling tradition and supposedly the county board want to build it back up. So they place a football match against it. While there might not be the usual overlap of players, what chance to they have of enticing lads to hurl, or fans to come support them if this continues? We re caught with players playing on Saturday to be asked to play another big game on sunday. Massive games for both clubs. Currently that's the case. How can we continue to support an organisation like this?? I cant anymore. It's not about my club, it's about doing the right thing and we re sadly lacking it here.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2602 - 24/09/2019 23:48:26    2238949

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Whatever about moving football fixtures, but to have 2 teams in the same parish out in the one night is just madness. Ballinabranna and n brid out tonight in big games for both. Why was this necessary? The relegation final can be played anytime. N brid are one club with a proud hurling tradition and supposedly the county board want to build it back up. So they place a football match against it. While there might not be the usual overlap of players, what chance to they have of enticing lads to hurl, or fans to come support them if this continues? We re caught with players playing on Saturday to be asked to play another big game on sunday. Massive games for both clubs. Currently that's the case. How can we continue to support an organisation like this?? I cant anymore. It's not about my club, it's about doing the right thing and we re sadly lacking it here."
Well you should refuse to fulfil the fixture. Only way to deal with this. Whinging on forum won't get it done.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 321 - 25/09/2019 22:53:40    2239240

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Whatever about moving football fixtures, but to have 2 teams in the same parish out in the one night is just madness. Ballinabranna and n brid out tonight in big games for both. Why was this necessary? The relegation final can be played anytime. N brid are one club with a proud hurling tradition and supposedly the county board want to build it back up. So they place a football match against it. While there might not be the usual overlap of players, what chance to they have of enticing lads to hurl, or fans to come support them if this continues? We re caught with players playing on Saturday to be asked to play another big game on sunday. Massive games for both clubs. Currently that's the case. How can we continue to support an organisation like this?? I cant anymore. It's not about my club, it's about doing the right thing and we re sadly lacking it here."
Utter madness. The county board drag out the championships every year in both codes. Football and hurling at all grades should be well finished by now. They have three week breaks at the group stage of the football and then another two or three week break before the knock out stages. Mad stuff altogether. If a club wins a senior championship It would have 6 games max or even 5 spread over about 3 months. If the final were to go to a replay then the winners of the replay could be out the following week in Leinster. Crazy.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 203 - 25/09/2019 22:55:04    2239241

Link

Anyone any previews on how the Senior semi final and the Intermediate semi final will pan out this weekend?

Baganalstown going to spring a shock and put paid to Eire Óg winning the 3 in a row?

can Kildavin/Clonegal overcome Naomh Eoin and take another step towards senior football for 2020?

LetItIn6 (Wexford) - Posts: 20 - 26/09/2019 08:20:30    2239275

Link

Replying To ontheball85:  "Utter madness. The county board drag out the championships every year in both codes. Football and hurling at all grades should be well finished by now. They have three week breaks at the group stage of the football and then another two or three week break before the knock out stages. Mad stuff altogether. If a club wins a senior championship It would have 6 games max or even 5 spread over about 3 months. If the final were to go to a replay then the winners of the replay could be out the following week in Leinster. Crazy."
They play hurling during those football breaks.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1086 - 26/09/2019 10:29:15    2239314

Link

Replying To fergie:  "They play hurling during those football breaks."
I know. But in all fairness they could run the championships off much quicker if they really wanted to.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 203 - 26/09/2019 13:56:20    2239380

Link

Replying To ontheball85:  "I know. But in all fairness they could run the championships off much quicker if they really wanted to."
They could but they hold it out so teams don't have a long break going into the provincial championships. Almost every county does this.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 60 - 26/09/2019 21:43:59    2239491

Link

Replying To GAA_WayOfLife:  "They could but they hold it out so teams don't have a long break going into the provincial championships. Almost every county does this."
That is to the benefit of one team. Running fixtures better on the whole benefits every club. (I make a deliberate distinction between club and team.)

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2602 - 26/09/2019 22:19:50    2239505

Link

Replying To GAA_WayOfLife:  "They could but they hold it out so teams don't have a long break going into the provincial championships. Almost every county does this."
Not sure if that's the case. I think the all Ireland qualifiers pushed back county final dates.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1272 - 26/09/2019 23:38:04    2239531

Link