Clare Forum

Under 21 / Minor 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Actually no. I think center back is the most difficult position on the pitch to master.

I am not sure what it is about Clare but we have had a necessity to create full and center backs over the last few years. David McInerney was a midfielder as was Colin Ryan. Pat O Connor was always a wing/center back but is now a full back. Cian Dillon is the only current natural full back in the Clare team and he is generally played in the corner or as a sweeper.

Full back is certainly one of the more difficult positions to master but in my experience (i played full and corner back) if you kept your man quiet in this position you were deemed to have had a good game. The full forward would often not roam as much as a center forward either as they would be instructed to be near the goal mouth. The center back not only has to keep his man quiet but maintain a high level of spacial awareness to ensure there isnt a gaping hole through the middle. Clares first goal v Cork in the replay in 2013 is a key example of this. William Egan (I think was center back that day for Cork) allowed himself to be pulled out of position instead of holding his area and Donnellan was allowed a direct path to goal. In doing so, Egan immediately cost Cork at least a point, which ended up being a goal.

I dont believe the same pressure is on the full back."
Brian Murphy was centre back for Cork in 2013 and J allowed the Cork c back to leave huge gaps on both days which was a huge error.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 716 - 08/07/2016 20:30:09    1878662

Link

what do ye think of yer chances tomm night lads in u21 just saw the waterford team there full forward line on paper looks frightening?

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 840 - 12/07/2016 17:56:48    1882027

Link

yeah its going to be very tough - they won the minor 3 years ago, they have an excellent forward line as you say the inside line is exceptional. although i would expect shane bennett to start in the half forward line with dj foran going to full forward. foran is a very under rated player, i saw him when we faced waterford this year in the intermediate game and he was fighting a lone battle that day, he was by far their standout player. hes very strong in the air. interesting to see also how tom devine performs at this level. then gleeson at centre back is the best young hurler in the country - he has every skill in the game.
clare team is more or less as expected (close enough to the team i predicted last week) unfortunately ian galvin and stephen ward are injured - they would be 2 major additions to the forward line - galvin in particular who got 6 points against waterford last year.
our half back line though does look very good, mccarthy who was a minor last year is an exceptional hurler, mcguane and o'gorman are both very good players as well. best of luck to the lads but its going to be tough, hopefully our lads will be fresher than the likes of gleeson, curran and bennett who played last sunday..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1854 - 12/07/2016 21:00:41    1882118

Link

is walsh from eire og injured? Not on paper as strong a team as last 4 years but will be very well coached and fit, looking forward to it!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 13/07/2016 09:16:59    1882318

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "is walsh from eire og injured? Not on paper as strong a team as last 4 years but will be very well coached and fit, looking forward to it!"
No he's not injured anyway, he was sent off in the intermediate munster final.. I thought he would have started instead of cooney at corner back

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1854 - 13/07/2016 15:54:02    1882615

Link

very disappointing performance,it looked like a strong team on paper.thought the senior players on the pitch showed little or nothing.why in the name of god play short puck outs in first half when ye played with the gale?surely with duggan and shanaher ye should have been more direct.granted this is a very good waterford team and watching them tonight,they are the team to beat.not sure where we stand now cos all of our 21 team tomorow night were involved in defeats to clare in the past week.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 13/07/2016 21:01:37    1882788

Link

Well that was a very disappointing result. We were well on top and hurling really well for the first 20-25 when we lead by 6 points. 1-9 to 6 points. Waterford came into it then with 3 points, to leave us up 3 at half time when it really should have been more. Only 2 points on the board in the second half was a little embarressing!
Second half was a shambles, one of the worst ive ever seen from a clare team. Cooney got caught out for the first goal after having a very tough first half as well including getting booked, surprised he made it out for the second half. Fitzgerald then made a bad mistake for the second goal missing the ball completely leaving stephen bennett with a simple task for his second goal. Although we knew firzgerald is a class huler but full back is just not his position. Waterford were then uttery dominant for the entire half as clare capitulated.. Really poor showing from clare after a very bright first 25 mjnutes but waterford class told. What was very disappointing is that clare big name forwards were well below par - shanagher and duggan only getting 1 point each. I cant remember duggan hitting a single ball from open play, a disaster from our best player - we really needed so much more from him.
Credit to the like of david conroy and jason mccarthy who never gave up and were our 2 best players in my opinion. We knew it would be tough and so it proved to be. 8 of that team will be overage for next year so a big rebuilding job ahead and hopefully we can be better next year. When waterford started hurling they were very impressive and will be favourites to go on and win the all ireland..

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1854 - 13/07/2016 21:14:33    1882792

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "very disappointing performance,it looked like a strong team on paper.thought the senior players on the pitch showed little or nothing.why in the name of god play short puck outs in first half when ye played with the gale?surely with duggan and shanaher ye should have been more direct.granted this is a very good waterford team and watching them tonight,they are the team to beat.not sure where we stand now cos all of our 21 team tomorow night were involved in defeats to clare in the past week."
These limerick and waterford teams met in 2 minor finals and limerick won both of them. However you could argue the waterford lads have been developed better with their seniors since! If we get over tipp, which we really should as we did comfortably at minor and there only real name is ronan maher, then it will be some munster final!

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 957 - 14/07/2016 03:37:30    1882880

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Well that was a very disappointing result. We were well on top and hurling really well for the first 20-25 when we lead by 6 points. 1-9 to 6 points. Waterford came into it then with 3 points, to leave us up 3 at half time when it really should have been more. Only 2 points on the board in the second half was a little embarressing!
Second half was a shambles, one of the worst ive ever seen from a clare team. Cooney got caught out for the first goal after having a very tough first half as well including getting booked, surprised he made it out for the second half. Fitzgerald then made a bad mistake for the second goal missing the ball completely leaving stephen bennett with a simple task for his second goal. Although we knew firzgerald is a class huler but full back is just not his position. Waterford were then uttery dominant for the entire half as clare capitulated.. Really poor showing from clare after a very bright first 25 mjnutes but waterford class told. What was very disappointing is that clare big name forwards were well below par - shanagher and duggan only getting 1 point each. I cant remember duggan hitting a single ball from open play, a disaster from our best player - we really needed so much more from him.
Credit to the like of david conroy and jason mccarthy who never gave up and were our 2 best players in my opinion. We knew it would be tough and so it proved to be. 8 of that team will be overage for next year so a big rebuilding job ahead and hopefully we can be better next year. When waterford started hurling they were very impressive and will be favourites to go on and win the all ireland.."
Jaysus. We fell apart in the second half completely. Fair play to Waterford, they really turned the screw like Tipp did to them in the Munster final.

They will be hard to beat this year at this grade but I expected more from Clare.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2011 - 14/07/2016 08:23:52    1882892

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Well that was a very disappointing result. We were well on top and hurling really well for the first 20-25 when we lead by 6 points. 1-9 to 6 points. Waterford came into it then with 3 points, to leave us up 3 at half time when it really should have been more. Only 2 points on the board in the second half was a little embarressing!
Credit to the like of david conroy and jason mccarthy who never gave up and were our 2 best players in my opinion. We knew it would be tough and so it proved to be. 8 of that team will be overage for next year so a big rebuilding job ahead and hopefully we can be better next year. When waterford started hurling they were very impressive and will be favourites to go on and win the all ireland.."
Clare took savage hits by taking the ball into tackles,, real bone shakers,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 14/07/2016 08:44:34    1882901

Link

We were awful in 2nd Half no fight in us at all the 3 seniors offered nothing as someone who thought that Bobby Duggan was being hard done by in the Seniors i think last nigh showed why he is not making it only for frees you would not have known that he was on. David Fitz for all his prowess on the high ball showed that he has a way to go missed a simple ball like he did in the championship. i spose the management have to play the hand they have but there are a few very poor players in that team and they were very poor in the Intermediate final as well

Rare to see a team coached by Donal Moloney so poor Waterford were brilliant though and if they are that good you would have to say that these systems by Derek Mc Grath are strangling the like of these players.

Good luck to Waterford now hope they win the All Ireland u21

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 525 - 14/07/2016 09:16:49    1882911

Link

worst disppaly since 2007 at this level. No excuses for that second half i expected an 7/8 p defeat beforehand but after the start we had, you could handle a 3/4 loss as wateeford very good and had the wind, but clare totally collapsed. Duggan showed why is still a long way off senior, lovely hurler but doesn't fight for the ball and drifts away when things are bad. Needs to improve on that. Jason McCarthy will be a serious hurler for clare yet in my opinion.

i think limerick will have a major say in it yet Hex, very good team with most of last years side.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 14/07/2016 09:24:41    1882914

Link

agreed clareman if limerick play to their capabilities...they have the quality to beat waterford but the form theyve showed since the last under 21 match isnt great. much will depend on tonight but if limerick get over tipp tonight john kiely will have the whole panel with no interuptions for the next month...whereas derek mcgrath wil have first call on nearly half of the waterford team as i see them beating wexford and be gearing up for an allireland semi in or around the same time as munster final.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 840 - 14/07/2016 11:24:24    1882995

Link