Clare Forum

New Manager next year?

(Oldest Posts First)

Is Davy fitz the correct man for the job going forward?

locks (Clare) - Posts: 239 - 24/07/2014 19:21:22    1625546

Link

he will get another year for sure, he won us the all ireland last year!, but if he has antoehr year like this yea, he will be under pressure as likes of the u21 guys plus Dalo will be interested, as would some high profile non clare names. its an attractive job now.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 25/07/2014 09:54:00    1625676

Link

I'd also stick with Davy next year, we will never forget 2013 and the architect for that was Davy. This could be Daly's last year in charge of Dublin and with a year out he would surely be interested in his second coming as Clare boss in the next few year's. Gerry O Connor and Donal Moloney would also have their supporters and in fairness their record is amazing, most successful Clare management ever if you count trophies won, but on top of that their coolness under pressure on the sideline and how they deal with the media and in particular the style of hurling their teams play. Question is though with both of them in full time employment and Gerry on the road with work would they have the time. Surely they would have to make time.

happyh10 (Clare) - Posts: 78 - 25/07/2014 10:26:34    1625690

Link

Davy deserves another year without a doubt. A little bit of luck against Wexford and we would be playing Limerick this Sunday. We must play better next year though, Championship is where teams are judged and we let ourselves down every time we took the field. Needs to be looked at. All the siege mentality is brilliant, but the referees don't like us for a reason, a different approach from Davy when talking to or about referees might help haha but then that wouldn't be Davy. The bottom line is there would be no All Ireland without Davy. Id love to see us win a Munster, 1998 was a long time ago lads.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 25/07/2014 11:40:50    1625743

Link

agree bannerboy,davy needs to lay off the refs, over time these decisions even themselves out. i think he needs to let louis mulqueen do the interviews. if it comes across as he is sulking then so what, its better that way as anything he says is highlighted, magnified and twisted, rightly on wrongly!

Dalo is a totally different character, comes across very well after games and he is always looking at the positives. if dublin had a truly top class inside forward i think they could be all Ireland winners..in clare he would have that.

to me, davy deserves another year or 2 but sooner or later i think people will look to see Dalo have another crack.

agreed the 2 lads at u21 level also big contenders, but not sure if that approach would work at senior level, but i could be wrong. the joint approach in Limerick was a total disaster.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 25/07/2014 12:02:01    1625763

Link

Completely agree Clareman, I'd have Louis do the interviews and leave Davy out of it for awhile. Everything he says rightly or wrongly is jumped on. I would prefer he was just concentrating on getting us ready for the big challenges that lay ahead. Daly will come again in Clare I would love to see that, but Davy has more to give. The little man is a genius. Id love to leave the two U/21 boys where they're, cause they have been out of this world.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 25/07/2014 12:11:21    1625771

Link

locks you've got to be kidding.The banner is blessed to have one the greatest managers in the country.It's not a matter of will we take him back but will he come back.? Can one even imagine all the pressure caused by ,for the most part unnecessry criticism he takes.SO lay off and let him lead us to a few more ALL IRELANDS.WE'VE GOT THE talent AND DAVY HAS THE KNOW HOW. Yes, he can tweak his performane in some areas.One thing I would suggest is to recognize what a talented back 0 DONOVAN is.But who can blame him for being totally disgusted with the officiating??dont you think a better solution would be to choose officials who will penalize players because of some personal problemd-s the referee may have?

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 25/07/2014 16:01:47    1625898

Link

This was not a knee jerk question !? I wanted to throw it out there to see what reaction I'd get. Im not forgetting 2013 but he needs to tone it down on the line. The browne thing frustated a lot fans v wexford

locks (Clare) - Posts: 239 - 26/07/2014 10:51:56    1626046

Link

The decision not to sub Browne was the one thing I was totally shocked with. And the O'Donovan not playing at all....but who knows how training is going etc. Davy has my support, my full backing!!!!! Clare will come back stronger next year of that I'm sure. There are far less talented teams still in the championship. We won in 2013 and had 6 months of parties, and celebrations. We had everyone patting us on the back and telling us how great we are. Now we can get on with the real business of what it's about.....creating a history of winning titles. That's what we want and Davy can lead us......one things no one can deny is Davy LOVES CLARE!!!!!!!!!

Podge and Tony Kelly, McGrath, Davy McInerney, Honan, Colin Ryan, Connor Ryan to name a few are all only young lads, Banner are still rising.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 26/07/2014 13:32:15    1626104

Link

In limerick we would all like to see him stay on

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 27/07/2014 20:07:38    1626795

Link

disillusiondfan
County: Limerick

In limerick we would all like to see him stay on

Thanks DF although I don't you speak for the people of Limerick because you never leave the Hogan Stand website to go out and converse with your county men.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 28/07/2014 10:20:27    1627011

Link

its a hard one to call, i personally think davy was great for clare last year, but i do believe there element of suprise is gone and other teams now know how to play them. We need a new game plan and i really dont think we have one. we have a great bunch of young players and i would really hate to see them be ruined by our management because of there own short comings!! so maybe a change wouldnt be all the bad...but who would be the right person for the job???

claregal (Clare) - Posts: 22 - 29/07/2014 09:11:53    1627754

Link

I think this is ridiculous. Of course Davy deserves to stay on. Ok this year was terrible, but he brought us our first all-Ireland in 16 years in only his second year in charge. I think Davy has changed hurling were the most skillful player benefits. He changed the traditional style of hurling Clare play to a more skillful game to suit the players at his disposal. Clare players are now confident, and don't care who the opposition is. Is tactics are usually spot on too. He allows Podge to play in a roaming center forward role picking off pints and then this allows T.Kelly to go deep where he can score from mid field and drag the center back out of position. The sweeper system was also a success. He definitely deserves to stay on, for another while anyway. People are so fickle, it was only last year we were singing is praises!. Clare wont be able to win the All-Ireland every year, but as long as we stay competitive and win more All-Ireland's with this group I'll be happy!.

Cookie_Monster. (Clare) - Posts: 16 - 29/07/2014 11:29:13    1627820

Link

More than DF in LK would like Davy to stay on. If we dont be in a position to win All Irelands we certainly would far prefer to see Clare win them than any of the 'big three'. At the Munster final a Cork supporter went on that Clare 'got a soft All Ireland last year'. I had to remind him that his county got not one but two chances to beat ye and they could not do it so he should spare his argument for the crows. I agree however that Davy should step back from those interviews

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2394 - 29/07/2014 15:33:37    1627989

Link

well said oldtourman, hurling needs non big 3 winners, i think ye have a great chance of beating kk and there is f all between the Munster teams on any given day so it is there for ye if ye can make the next step. best of luck

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 29/07/2014 17:20:46    1628068

Link

ya fitz needs to not do the post game stuff cos his emotions are boiling. As Jonny Giles always says, those post game interviews are pure nonsense, however if he doesnt them them, he is considered a sore loser!! I thought he did a decent job as a pundit on Sunday though, once hes all relaxed hes grand! bottom line is the players are mad keen on him so thats all that counts

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 29/07/2014 17:23:13    1628070

Link

I hope you are right as he has 3 more years in the bag, think he needs to give 2 Collins a ultimatum. Football or hurling

locks (Clare) - Posts: 239 - 29/07/2014 17:58:50    1628089

Link

not directing this at the original poster but just a general comment to say it would be absolutely crazy to change manager a year after he was a massive factor in us reaching the holy grail last year. i suppose theres no harm in debating the matter anyway

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 11/08/2014 17:39:35    1635168

Link

2 years would have been loads, 3 years too much. If he has another flop of a year in2015 then he has to go

locks (Clare) - Posts: 239 - 11/08/2014 21:36:23    1635339

Link