Clare Forum

Gaelic Grounds as Clares Championship stadium

(Oldest Posts First)

Hey guys. I know you are proud Claremen and Cusack park is yere home ground. However its a bit shabby at the moment and until its fixed up why not have the Gaelic Grounds as your home venue?. You could go into home and away arragements with Cork and Tipperary and have any Limerick match there aswell if you wanted. At the moment it makes sense,It doesnt look like the finances are there to bring Cusack park up to standard any time soon..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 03/04/2014 10:13:46    1569783

Link

Cusack Park is a disgrace and an embarrassment, its needs serious renovation. maybe this sky money might be allocated to upgrade grounds like this..

id say bloodyban if it was upgraded, they might use SMB grounds, although Limk would be an option for bigger games..

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 03/04/2014 11:55:25    1569855

Link

i agree with the concept of home and away arrangements as i think you can get bigger crowds (obviously in favour of home team but evens out next time they play) but at moment ennis is miles behind the standard needed, i see wtfd are upgrading their pitch, but capacity is only gonna be 20000 i think? other 3 teams have fine stadia (ok cork needs some work but has the capacity)

id love to see the munster championship played off in a 6 nations type format, over a 2 year trial period, each team plays everyone once and top in final, 2 home games n 2 away games, reverse the following year? winners straight into semis like we have now, with losers into 1/4 finals, teams finishing 3rd and 4th could go into AI qualifiers with teams 3/4th from leinster (who i think should adopt same format). that way everyone is guaranteed 4/5 games a year and you still retain provincial championships?

sorry went off on a tangent there...but any thoughts on it? its wrong that lads train like professionals for 2 championship games in a lot of cases, most club sides get 3 games minimum nowadays as the group structure is very common in most counties..

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 03/04/2014 12:07:12    1569866

Link

Dont think Cusack park is that bad, would sooner see monies pumped into grass roots hurling & FOOTBALL than a stadium. At the end of the day, Cusack park isn't going to any Munster c'ship game anyway

locks (Clare) - Posts: 239 - 03/04/2014 14:05:32    1569955

Link

You said it locks. Id rather have a stadium like Cusack Park and be Ai champs than have the Gaelic Grounds and be massive under achievers

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 03/04/2014 20:18:42    1570148

Link

Any thoughts on my new format proposal lads?!!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 04/04/2014 10:20:10    1570236

Link

believe it should be evaluated for sure - two groups - six teams per group - two games - home and away - total 10 games per team - total of 30 games per province - grand total of 60 games - thereafter Qf and SF and Final - need to consider player welfare, supporter finances (away games), would have to be played every other weekend for four months - would kill the club ethic - - not sure it would ever work - I believe you can get too much of a good thing

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 04/04/2014 11:29:44    1570271

Link

its a decent idea but as was said it will not work. it would be totally unfair on club players and their fixture schedule is scandalous as it is.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 05/04/2014 18:14:07    1570747

Link

With Sky there ll be more games in the years to come...Your suggestion is a little bit much for now..Rather see munster championship played as is and separate. and the all ireland series a totally european cup kind of format.

I was only being nice when i insinuated that Cusack park should be renovated. It need not be.. But the gaelic grounds as a home venue for Clare is surely worth further discussion.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 05/04/2014 19:14:24    1570774

Link

oh your were 100% correct in saying that cusack park needs to be renovated. the dressing rooms are a disgrace to the county and an utter embarrassment. the pitch has terrible drainage and always holds water so is almost unplayable most years for county semi finals and finals. the seated stand i am sure is the most old fashioned and uncomfortable stand in the country. the score board as well is the most outdated score board that will be seen at any county ground with the card board numbers having to be changed by hand. the lack of parking in the area is also an issue but there is not much that can be done about that now, the county board should have bought the site that aldi is on to be used as a car park because due to its size and location would have been ideal

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 05/04/2014 19:51:05    1570788

Link

Those Cusack park dressing rooms, only loved by sti"s and veruccas. I Played matches there and the dressing rooms are very spartan.

Loftus road is on a tiny site like Cusack Park, but by god is it a cool little stadium. Parking is something that is only a secondary consideration. Come earlier.. I love Clare supporters but by god are ye odd and do you guys rush in and out of matches. Ye cant all be back milking cows.
Limerick supporters get there about 3 hours beforehand,lay claim to the area,dominate and leave when all amenities are used up,or overstayed our welcome. Dalcassians and Limerick Vikings, a different breed.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1243 - 06/04/2014 12:05:49    1570909

Link