Clare Forum

Dublin v Clare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

i posted this on the other thread but might be better off here..

dublin played a high intensity game and hunted in packs, and swarmed all over t kelly n mcgrath when they got the ball, they looked fitter and sharper, but one thing i will say, its a lot easier to deny clare space in parnell park, but doing that in thurles or croke park is another story. this clare team are built for big open spaces and hurling. i respect mullanes opninion but its not the only way to beat clare, to deny us space will leave gaps open at the back n on a number of occasions yesterday Clare got a one of one with shane o donell n p kelly but o donnells first touch was poor. he should have been taken off n conor mcgrath switched in to full and left one on one with kelly, who was on a yellow.

however, at the end of the day tho i wont get too alarmed. dublin were good but there is another 40% improvement in clare. win our 2 home games n we will be fine

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 24/02/2014 13:55:11    1550645

Link

Clarenan I think that denying clare space will be the most interesting aspect of season tactics wise. If teams leave 6 backs in their orthodox positions on face of it that seems to be the answer. However Clare then could revert to sweeper so will the 6 survive the onslaught of extra ball? Will be v interesting.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 24/02/2014 14:26:40    1550657

Link

just on the full backline i think seadna was n trouble most of the game yesterday. i think he is much more suited to playing out the field, i would love to see him tried at midfield. i expect o donovan to be recalled to the full back line although i think flanagan is worth taking a look at so maybe give dillon a rest the next day. with duggan i fully agree that he should be given more game time as he is excellent in the air, but the issue with him is that once he catches the ball he rarely takes the correct option after with the use of position, he often tries to overplay it or shoot from huge distances, so i can undrrstand why davy might not fully trust him. but he is very talented and as he matures im sure he can make it at the top level.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 24/02/2014 15:08:30    1550684

Link

Fitzy knows that the full back line needs change and that is why he has Morey in there. They conceded 6 goals (coulda been 8)in 2 games to a team up until then that had scored 1 goal all year. Last sunday exposed the Clare F back line to the high ball and that is now another area of concern. There are options with Flanagan and Mac is still prob the best 3 in Ireland but I doubt fitzy will revert to what was there last year.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 25/02/2014 09:01:18    1550980

Link

I think switching POC and morey may be the way to go

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2011 - 25/02/2014 11:44:15    1551053

Link

team i would play versus tipp would be: 1kelly 2donovan 3mcinereny 4flanagan 5bugler 6donnellan 7o'connor 8galvin 9morey 10conlon 11kelly 12ryan 13p.collins 14mcinerney 15mcgrath

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 25/02/2014 16:51:02    1551232

Link

i would leave POC where he is. he a class hurler n hes delivery to forwards is best we have, bugler still bangs it anyway far too much for my liking. maybe morey midfield wit galvin n tony floating, but this galvin in the forwards malarkey has to stop.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 26/02/2014 09:26:37    1551451

Link

i,d like to know ye,re opinion on jamie shanahan.i,m surprised he isn,t getting more game time.to me he is a very good hurler and very physical,i,ve seen him from his time in ard scoil and definitely felt he would make it.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 966 - 26/02/2014 18:17:12    1551705

Link

i would have thought shanahan would be a better option than Golden, esp at wing forward, and hes a better hurler too as well as big n strong so not sure the story there but im sure we will get his chance.

we have had a lot of underage success in recent times, so i suppose there is a clamor for every lad who shone in those teams to get a chance, but tbf to mgmt they have to get the blend right, if All Irelands were won based solely on talented hurlers then galway would have 10 in last 20 years. building a team is a whole different business

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1009 - 27/02/2014 10:21:03    1551833

Link

yeah i agree with the above, i think shanahan is a really class hurler he is a very skillful stylish player. he is also a strong quick player, since he overcame his injury troubles. i think his best position is wing forward as he can also be a good option for puckouts as he is very strong in the air. i have a hunch that davy might have been attempting to keep him and cathal mcinerney for his fitzgibbon team in lit. so now that they are out it will allow him to play those lads much more, if that is the reason they have not seen much action of late

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1855 - 28/02/2014 20:39:11    1552587

Link