Clare Forum

Sparrow - "we looked like a second division team"

(Oldest Posts First)

Not a great amount of team confidence coming from this statement from management is there? I thought the win on Sunday for Clare was a good result especially when down to 14 men for most of the second half & against a strong wind & a strong Antrim side in Casement. I would have expected Sparrow to have been more upbeat in trying to instill confidence in the team especially the youngfellah's.

'Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh siad' (praise the youth and they will come on) is what I would be doing in his shoes rather than rating them as second rate.

dingle1 (Clare) - Posts: 805 - 25/02/2011 21:29:31    876670

Link

they looked like a div 4 team.

yankee (Clare) - Posts: 134 - 01/03/2011 15:42:53    879060

Link

Yankee - can't agree with you there although posters on main forum don't have much sympathy for Clare at present with some even touting a rift within the Clare camp. Clare hurling is above Div 2 standard & some good young players coming through in my opinion.
They need time & space to develop & plenty of enthusiastic support. Classing them as Div 2 standard or below that level will do nothing to improve their confidence & their performance. Stuff like that is grist to the mill for their detractors on the ditch (both within & outside the county - the Limerick snipers wallowing in Clare's distress at present!!).

dingle1 (Clare) - Posts: 805 - 01/03/2011 18:59:21    879274

Link

its obvious you werent at limerick game.clare often got better players off different minor and u 21 teams that never won anything.some clare people think there is a convare belt of players comming thru.big step up to senior level.i dont think present management up for job.i hope they prove me wrong.i think we need a outside manager that knows what it takes to compete with top teams like tipp and kilkenny and maybe galway to preprare clare teams mentally and physically to compete at top level.always hear people saying how coaching so good in kilkenny.people dont relise why kilkenny won so much was that the rest were so bad.say they was no back door kilkenny would have won all ireland easily in 2010.senior club hurling at a very low standard in clare and until that is rectified its going to same old story. in saying that i think if clare took a big team it would give them huge confidence sadly it wont happen in div 2.

yankee (Clare) - Posts: 134 - 02/03/2011 10:44:55    879482

Link

clare do not have the skill and craft of most county teams like offaly but to be fair, ye have great heart.

jagermister (Galway) - Posts: 399 - 05/03/2011 21:35:20    882136

Link