Clare Forum

Clare v Limerick

(Oldest Posts First)

Anybody at the game today?

dingle1 (Clare) - Posts: 805 - 13/02/2011 21:01:36    866870

Link

was at it, and truthfully we experienced a typical tough game from ye, but to be totally honest about it, and i know we're no kilkenny, ye were very poor, genuinely not trying to rub it in, just giving an honest assesment of what I saw and I was disappointed to see such little fight in clare, only one point from play..ye're fullback and honan were excellent, but too many errors. overall not a spectacular game, i have no doubt ye'll up it considerably as the year progresses, i hope so for ye're sake

Shaughs (Limerick) - Posts: 101 - 13/02/2011 21:20:41    866909

Link

I am very angry about that Clare performance yesterday. For me only Nikki O Connell and Dillion did themselves any justice. Sparrow has played McInerney a full back numerous times now and he has always failed. He got roasted in there today by a kid (although I thought he did well when he went wing back).

Clare were second to every ball, caught on their heals, slow and looked unfit. Liam Doyle and Danny Chaplin need to take a long hard look at themselves because their training is not working. Overall, I think the mamagement have a lot to answer for. We need better trainers for the players.

On a side note, the Tipp referee yesterday was poor. He did everything in his power to prevent the game from flowing and gave Limerick everything.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2011 - 14/02/2011 09:10:18    867006

Link

Shaughs are you serious about honan, were you even at the same match??

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 14/02/2011 12:09:31    867183

Link

Yesterdays match was awful from both sides but at least Limerick had a bit of method in them, you would wonder what we are doing in training our touch handling & striking team play decision making all these were absent.
Also our free taking was brutal.

Donal Touhy is a good stopper but is very wild in his puckouts and distribution couldent understand when Lynch went C Forward and his best skill is catching but he directed all the puckouts on Conlan.

No Silverwear on Shannonside this year I am afraid

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 532 - 14/02/2011 13:01:41    867240

Link

to be fair, clare were terrible yesterday, limerick looked alot fitter than clare and we're no world beaters, dillion was the only clareman that could walk away
with any pride. a tough game for clare next day up north and if they lose that , division 2 looms again next year,

sixofone (Limerick) - Posts: 209 - 14/02/2011 20:31:53    867807

Link

where do clare go from there?? that was truly awful..i mean to only score 1 point from play in 70 minutes of hurling.. they only had 1 point on the board at ht and that was a free..the only players that came out of it with any credit were cian dillon, nicky o connell and james mac when he went wing back.. the rest were awful id like to see them stick with cooney at full back (the only natural full back on the panel) he might not be the tallest but at 5ft 10 he is the same height as noel hickey.. as i write this nuig are being trounced by l.i.t and n.u.i.g have a few clare panellists.. i feel our biggest problem area is midfield.. anyway this is the team id like to see the next day..
tuohy,
earlie,cooney,glynn,
o connor, dillon,mcinerney,
donnellan,o connell,
conlon,mcmahon,ryan,
mcgrath, mcineney, honan.

asitstands (Galway) - Posts: 116 - 15/02/2011 14:46:11    868236

Link

asitstands

Take out McInerney and stick in Lynch and I will agree with you. He was our only scorer from play the last day. McInerney is not a February/March hurler.

I am devastated with the way the team played on Sunday. Can't believe I came down from Dublin to watch it. It seems to me that something is wrong with the training set-up. They either over or under trained for that game...so slow and laboured.

People on other forums are really bashing Conlon - not improving since the under 21s - looks unfit etc. To me, it seems as if the lad is burnt out. He has had no break really over the past couple of years with Clare Seniors & Under 21s, Clonlara Seniors and Under 21s and NUIG.

Sparrow is a good man but seem to be out of his depth. The backroom team needs a shakeup if you ask me and a quality trainer hired. I dont know what sort of real credentials Liam Doyle and Danny Chaplin have when it comes to intercounty training and coaching.

On a more positive note, Limerick seem to be blowing this out of all proportion and if Clare can sneek a win against Antrim then we should be on course for the final. I wouldnt write us off just yet. It doesnt seem to have been picked up on that Clare has an awful lot of wides against Limerick and Honan missed two good goal chances. With a bit more guile we could have won the game. The referee was an absolute disgrace. i have heard some pudits say he made bad calls against both Clare and Limerick but from what I could see he only really started giving Clare frees half way through the second half when he must have realised he had screwed them badly throughout the game. As would happen in soccer the powers-that-be should sit down with this ref and review his performance which they would also have to agree was poor.

Limerick only managed 2-9 and I would put fault for both goals at the feet of Sparrow. Surely at this stage he realises that McInerney is a wing back and not full back. Mc Inerney got cleaned for both goals although I though he was very good when he switched to wing back.

Clare were desparate that is true but it can only get better from what I saw on Sunday. Let Limerick keep patting themselves on the back and we will catch them with their pants down in the final.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2011 - 15/02/2011 16:10:03    868379

Link

a total discrace.a lot of them players living on past glories.no pride in wearing jersey.management to blame. for a such important game to have a team so flat.never was a clare team so bad.how does sparrow persist with touthy in goals.said it last year need outside management.LIAM SHEEDY.

yankee (Clare) - Posts: 134 - 16/02/2011 11:07:42    868865

Link

I was at the game as a neutral and thought clare were very disappointing. Honan and cian dillon were the best of a bad bunch. Conlan needs a break, but he did get one durin pre-season when he injured his hand i understand, however he was supposed to be running himself into the ground dueing this. Is dillon better at centre back than full back i ask you? Clare's subs looked poor when introduced, i think morey only touched the ball twice when introduced, this man is supposed to be one for the future and playin well for nuig. maybe he deserves a chance? i think the management have to take the bulk of the criticism... mcgrath needs to be played at corner forward where he works excellently with honan.... hopefully clare will be better next time out as i enjoy watching them and would love to see them go a long way this year.

Up the banner

In_the_corner (Mayo) - Posts: 10 - 16/02/2011 12:10:41    868933

Link

Wasn't at the game but posters here seem very harsh on some of these lads. Many of these players are still learning their trade at senior grade & hurlers like Morey, Honan, Conlon etc. don't become poor players overnight.

It's barely eighteen months since many of these lads were All Ireland U21 Champions & they should be given the chance of finding their feet at this level. A bit of breathing space lads is what I'd say.

dingle1 (Clare) - Posts: 805 - 16/02/2011 18:51:21    869459

Link

as it stands that half foward wouldnt break eggs.antrim are going to take them.never did i see a worse clare team. them lads thought mike mac wasnt good enough.i well tell you one thing no clare team went out on the feild like that performance against limerick and another thing limerick were bad too.

yankee (Clare) - Posts: 134 - 17/02/2011 16:39:07    870084

Link

With respect Honan is not up the standard required, he only has one side, if ye are depentant on him for scores then Clare Hurling is in serious trouble.

freetaker1 (Limerick) - Posts: 744 - 22/02/2011 12:54:57    873518

Link

freetaker1

It's clear you havent a clue what your talking about. Honan will always struggle this time of the year. he is a class act. You will see in the league final

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2011 - 22/02/2011 13:26:39    873549

Link

LohansRedHelmet

Well i beg to differ, i saw him play for UCC totally out of the game, saw him play against limerick U-21's only scored due to the full back falling over in front of goals.
Saw him in the same game one on one with the GK shot must have been 2 ad hordings wide!!!!. Saw him against limerick very poor again. Totally one sided. Actually done think hes cappable of using the other side.

I base jugement on the basis of what i personally can do and compare i would never miss like that, playing well in an U21 final does not mean that your up to Inter county standard, enough people in Limerick know that.

freetaker1 (Limerick) - Posts: 744 - 15/03/2011 17:42:25    889623

Link

Firstly, it obvious you dont know what you are talking about when you say "he played well in one under 21 final" because if you had seen that final he was not fit and didnt play well, in fact didnt score. He injured his calf I think the week of the final and didnt train. He was also hit hard near the end of the first half and didnt really seem to recover after that. Secondly saying that he only has one side is also COMPLETELY incorrect as I will prove-

RIGHT SIDE

Here is a brilliant goal using his right side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_boj-maQ4c (watch from 3.00)

Here is an unbelievable point on his right side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeUp5hypTrc (watch from start)

Another unbelievable point on his right side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeUp5hypTrc (watch from 0.38)

Once again another unreal point on his right side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeUp5hypTrc (watch from 2.39)

LEFT SIDE

Goal of the season in 2009 under 21 championship from his left side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWkElQ6f_A (watch from 2.32)

Another unreal opportunistic goal in last years munster championship on his left side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSERrld9a2Q (watch from 1.05) - In a game in which it seemed like he only touched the ball 4 times and scored 1-3 from play. not bad for your first Munster Championship game.

Genius point on his left side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeUp5hypTrc (watch from 1.30)

I trust this puts the matter to bed and look forward to your apology to Darach.

Ps: Notice that much of the above clips are infact against Limerick. In the 2009 and 2010 under 21 championship he destroyed ye in both games. Granted he didnt play well in the league this year but you will only see the best of Honan on hard ground!! Hopefully we will get to the league final and I will be confident of him proving it to you! Remember bar you goaly pulling off two great saves he could have had two goals in the league game in Ennis! Also, he if I am not correct is still under 21 this year. He was under 21 All Ireland player of the year when he was just 19!!!

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2011 - 16/03/2011 11:07:19    890022

Link

Sorry but alot of the marking in the clips are awfull or did you chose to ignore that?? In one clip the back is 4 ft away and that was Limerick player and clealry not up to it.
Dry day Hurler means he doesnt fancy the cold soft day in otherwords is all pace and no Hurling!!

freetaker1 (Limerick) - Posts: 744 - 17/03/2011 11:39:32    890655

Link

"He was also hit hard near the end of the first half and didnt really seem to recover after that"

I think that comment just proved my point

freetaker1 (Limerick) - Posts: 744 - 17/03/2011 11:41:10    890657

Link

"Totally one sided. Actually done think hes cappable of using the other side"

I think I proved you are completely wrong!!! You dont even make sense!!!

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2011 - 18/03/2011 08:59:17    891007

Link

Look i see hes your hero and you stick with that but he would not even make a Limerick 15.

freetaker1 (Limerick) - Posts: 744 - 18/03/2011 20:26:56    891499

Link