Clare Forum

Clare senior football squad

(Oldest Posts First)

Well lads with the Championship coming up does anyone have any news on the panel??? Injuries and players brought in and let off the panel. I was wondering does anyone know why John Hayes (Kilrush) and Conor Whelan (Doonbeg) are not involved this year? And hows David Canole. I heard he was injured but I'd love to see him back playing with Clare.

IrishRover (Fermanagh) - Posts: 488 - 14/05/2010 16:48:42    647342

Link

The two lads are just concentrating on there clubs, results dont seem to have been going well lately 3 defeats in challenge matches not good.

DALY15 (Clare) - Posts: 11 - 16/05/2010 10:36:15    648231

Link

they played sligo last thursday in headford,galway and drew.

techland (Galway) - Posts: 494 - 17/05/2010 13:09:23    649536

Link

Really...........DALY15 why would John Hayes concentrate on Kilrush football????.............thats not going to get him as far as playing County would....and the man is only 23/24 years old. He is a good player and a worthy addition to the panel....and i know Whelan has put alot into the Clare jersey but he would be an addition to the squad aswell he muct be only 30/31.....id still have him full back and we are struggling center field...he has played well there for Doonbeg....any news on Paul Hehir???? is he still involved??

IrishRover (Fermanagh) - Posts: 488 - 17/05/2010 19:57:03    650299

Link

I would think its more of an excuse than anything as they wont play for M MD

DALY15 (Clare) - Posts: 11 - 18/05/2010 09:55:04    650630

Link

Why wouldnt they play for the man?????

IrishRover (Fermanagh) - Posts: 488 - 18/05/2010 15:53:47    651050

Link

Because in my view they are poor players thats my view. They probably in my view not able to play up to the standard and commitment
and dedication and discipline that the Manager requires! These are my views only and I hope Administrator you print them for fans to respond to.

steel (Clare) - Posts: 694 - 20/05/2010 14:16:59    653347

Link

Seriously Steel are you for real they are both fine footballers and with regards to Whelan i dont think he needs to prove either of your statements. Anyone who knows anything about Clare Gaa will tell ya so.

DALY15 (Clare) - Posts: 11 - 20/05/2010 15:04:44    653467

Link

I fully agree with Daly15

clarefootball92 (UK) - Posts: 76 - 20/05/2010 15:38:54    653534

Link

Look Lads, in my view typical of the response I expected where ye would defend the two players but also typical in my view of the particular response I expected in relation to Whelan!

In my view he has got sent off in a lot of games playing for the county and in my view lost the chance for Doonbeg to retain the Munster Club Title against UCC in 1999 in Limerick.

In my view how can ye defend these players when one of them has decided to play for the County Junior side despite making excuses in my view that he couldnt play for the County Senior Team due to work commitments!
Does that say it all about the non training in my view thats not carried out for the munster junior championship?
or is he willing to train in my view at a lower intensity for the county junior team and not able for it at Senior??

Could this be something to do with Doonbeg players being jealous of a kilmurray manager managing Clare especially given kilmurrays national stage?

steel (Clare) - Posts: 694 - 21/05/2010 10:28:45    654200

Link

Daly 15 if you dont agree with my view, how come so you admitted that they are making excuses as dont want to play
for Michael Mc Dermott??

steel (Clare) - Posts: 694 - 21/05/2010 10:40:40    654230

Link

"in my view" STEEL your a pain in the ****, you must be the most negative and **** stiring person on here. You are a very angry man inside and "in my view" need to just chill out and wish our Clare footballers the best in the championship. If your statements you always make on various posts around Hogan Stand had a solid base people might listen to you and for that reason i will comment no further to any of your replies. No one man is the down fall of any team and i think you will find that Gerry Killeen and Paul Hehir were sent off in that final so your next post can have two more people to give out about although you should find it hard to give out about Gerry Killeen. I would not be a million miles away from Doonbeg and prob not there biggest fans of past but you say they are jealous of KIB maybe you are right i am jealous of any team that wins a clare championship and if you are not hurting when your team looses then you should be at home on the internet "in my view" slating the people that are hurting and who are trying to play ball even if they so choose not to play ball with there county. The panel is there and i wish them all the best against Waterford.

DALY15 (Clare) - Posts: 11 - 21/05/2010 11:15:14    654280

Link

Steel you are very wrong there with what you said about Conor Whelan.....he has served Clare well since 2000 and played for Clare and Captained them...this is the first year he wasnt available to play with them......if this has anything to do with Michael Mc Dermott id be very disapointed......but Whelan is a Doonbeg man i know he wouldnt behave like that......Quilty and Doonbeg have a strong rivalry but they have great respect aswell....and does Tubridy not play for McDermott???? so steel thats rubbish lad.....Whelan who i would like to see still involved has given alot to the Clare jersey and maybe just felt his time had been done....and a new manager would take his new ideas in a fresh direction........but John Hayes....he should be involved 100% a fine young player....i know well he was injured but he is back now playing and when fit a fine player.....he should be out with Clare sure he is only 23/24 and shouldnt be wasting his time playing concentrating on the Shams....he is a county player.

IrishRover (Fermanagh) - Posts: 488 - 21/05/2010 15:51:41    654743

Link

what is the clare junior team thats selected for tomorrows match??

happyh10 (Clare) - Posts: 78 - 22/05/2010 16:42:54    655399

Link

Lads in my view if thats the best Clare football team then they should give it up in my view!
Once waterford got the only goal of the game to only go two up, in my view it
appeared that Clare especially the forwards and the midfielders threw in the towel completely and that was with 24 minutes still left to go in the second half!

The team has fair backs I will admit but Clare has no good midfielder or consistent forwards at all.
It appears in my view that the entire forward line and midfield are depending on Garry Brennan to do it all for them and to be consistent.

Also the older players in my view such as David Russell, and Michael O'Shea are not delivering up front and are not definitely consistent in my view.

The midfielders in my view are non existent with the exception of when Brennan moves in and out of there.

When all is said and done this Clare Team in my view was not much changed from last years championship team.
The same midfielders, most of the same forwards aswell. So I think its a year on year on failure from league to championship to backdoor to league to championship to back door and so on and so on.

Then finally when you hear people in the 'supposedly' GAA circles talking out through their ****, about the qualifiers some 5 weeks away as if Clare were going to win the All Ireland then that says it all. The mentality is not right and to be looking forward to qualifiers already before end of May after another poor performance in Munster is simply
in my view living in ****** land!

Its time in my view for fans to stop following football in Clare. 6 backs wont win a match for you if you cant win the ball in the midfield area and consistently score in the forwards!
Its a simple game really but Clare in my view should accept now they have or never had it since 1992! and as for Munster Club success it means nothing at all as any team now could win a munster club. Kerry and Cork dont take that competition as serious anymore.

I am afraid its time in my view for Clare to concentrate on tourism and traditional music. 1992 was a once off good team, and nothing has
come since either in the physical shape or skilful shape.

I just hope the hurlers cause a shock but also very unlikely one would have to say in my view. CLARE GAA is at an all time low at senior level in both codes.

In my view even when we had poor county senior football teams in the past and wow was there many of them (except in 1992!)
every year and still is, at least we had most years a county team that could at least compete with the weaker hurling counties in Munster
even if Clare lost.Now Clare have u21 all ireland winners and yet I still fear Waterford will hammer Clare in June 7th next which proves winning underage titles can actually sometimes signal an all time low for Senior Success, whyever I dont know but in Clare it appears to be the case.

No Senior County football team worth talking about in my view and no County Hurling Team either that one would even give a chance of
creating a shock in my view and thats pretty bad coming from a hurling county is it not in my view?

steel (Clare) - Posts: 694 - 24/05/2010 10:50:08    656236

Link

Steel, I think you are being way overly harsh on Clare yesterday.
A very well taken goal by Gary Hurney was really the main difference between the teams. Clare dominated the 1st half and should have have been 4 or 5 points in front at half time. Instead, Waterford went into the break only a point behind with the breeze in 2nd half and once they got the early goal Clare were always on the backfoot.
Clare did manage to tie up the scores midway through 2nd half but Waterford finished much stronger despite Clare missing a good goal chance towards the end.
Our backs played reasonably well. We struggled big time in midfield particularly in 2nd half. Our forwards did not show any real penetration but worked hard none-the-less. Apart from the top 6 or 7 teams in the country, every county complains that they just don't have enough quality scoring forwards are Clare are most definately in that category.
While it was disappointing to lose yesterday I have to say that I was very happy with the level of effort & spirit shown by Clare, and I believe that it is grossly inaccurate to say that they threw in the towel once they conceeded the goal.

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 24/05/2010 13:40:35    656533

Link

Steel you are extremely harsh.....no way should you go that far.

IrishRover (Fermanagh) - Posts: 488 - 24/05/2010 15:54:09    656749

Link

Waterford are strong at the moment and have stuck together and developed over the years and at the moment they are better than Clare.....but they beat us very handy in the League.....and yesterday while gutted to lose....the performance was an improvement from the League showing and i beleive Clare are going about thing the right way.......sure steel we all would love to win, win, win god knows thats what i dream about....but we have to understand...its work in progress....lets back our boys.......UP THE BANNER

IrishRover (Fermanagh) - Posts: 488 - 24/05/2010 15:58:20    656757

Link

what is the story with Clare football,that team against was definitely not their strongest against waterford,playing 2 midfielders(Russell&O'Dwyer) and a defender(Daly) in the forwards,surely there must be 6 forwards in clare instead playing backs and midfielders,does players from the so called bigger club want to represent their club,Doonbeg and Kilkee player playing,Eire Og and Kilrush didnt have anyone starting,surely the likes of John Hayes,Kevin Larkin,Colm Dillon,Rory Donnelly,Stephen Maloney,Noel Downes ,Conor Whelan should be on panel,Kilmurray only 3 players starting,how come Coughlan and 2 Hickeys didnt start,their prob 3 of best players in county,how come McDermott cannot convince players at Kilmurray to line out for their county,clare football needs it strongest 15 out on the pitch

Gael85 (Dublin) - Posts: 1433 - 28/05/2010 18:09:08    661098

Link