Clare Forum

Clare Team 2010

(Oldest Posts First)

Any thoughts on the make up of the Clare team for 2010, will there be many of the 21's introduced? How about this team..........

1. Donal Tuohy
2. Paddy Vaughan
3. Cian Dillon
4. Gerry O'Grady
5. Pat Donnellan
6. Gerry Quinn
7. Brendan Bugler
8. Brian O'Connell
9. Nicky O'Connell
10. John Conlon
11. Tony Carmody
12. Jonathan Clancy
13. Darach Honan
14. Barry Nugent
15. Colin Ryan

If Tony Griffin does come back, hard to see him making the team based on his 2009 form. Diarmuid McMahon and James McInerney would be pushing hard for above team.

MacGyver (Clare) - Posts: 4 - 29/12/2009 14:37:05    521936

Link

Interesting team MacGyver. Reasonably strong & settled from 1 to 9 but like nearly all Clare teams in past few years up front looks particulary weak. I do think we need a new keeper. Brennan has made some awful mistakes in past few years, but to be fair he had a reasonable year last year. Hopefully the Sparrow will let Touhy & Brennan play half the challenge/league games this year so that he can pick whichever keeper shows the most before championship. (Maybe there's even another keeper I'm missing.) Full-back line looks to be our best line altough I do think that James McInerney is streets ahead of Dillon. Dillon altough no spring chicken, is quite raw and tends to lunge into some tackles. These are great when they come off but full-backs need to be steady and reliable. McInerney I believe is our most naturally talented hurler. He is probably more suited to centre-back but we need a good full-back and I reckon he's the man for the job. Half-back line is reasonable. We all know how good Gerry Quinn is so hopefully he can get back to the form he showed over past few years. Hopefully he'll manage to be a team player this year. Bugler had a terrible year last year and is definately not suited to centre-back. He really should have been taken off against Galway he was so bad. He is much better suited to wing-back -he is good in the air, very fast and has a good bit of agression. Donnellan should be able to hold his place on other wing. There is definately an opportunity for a new wing-back to stake a claim on this team so don't be surprised if we have new faces here. Midfield looks reasonably strong, altough I would prefer if we had more of a ball-winning player here. Up-front is where most of our problems are. We've been relying on Tony Carmody for God knows how long, yet he never delivers. He always gets 1 or 2 great points early on in the game but then disappears. Whenever he plays against Cork, he is always anonymous when on any of Curran/Sean Og/Gardiner. I'm not that convinced by Clancy either. Always busy and bustles about the place but needs to score more. In saying that, there is not much better out there. Nugent was very unlucky last year. Definately felt he should have been given more game-time. Needs to improve on his fitness though. Diarmuid McMahon was very poor last year and was even worse during club championship. Tony Griffen was alos poor, and if he does gome back I would like to see him try more for midfield. Not sure if he is good enough for team, but should be able to provide an alternative in this sector. There is definately scope here for the under-21s to make a place. Colin Ryan needs to contribute more from open play. Darach might still be a bit young. But still, we should see at least 3 or 4 new faces in the forwards whether they come from last years u-21 team or not remains to be seen.

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 30/12/2009 12:24:10    522321

Link

My team would be 1 tuohy 2 ogrady 3 dillon 4 odoherty 5 buglar 6 Quinn 7 n oconnell 8 odonovan 9 oconnell 10 conlan 11 mcmahon 12 griffin 13 Honan 14 carmondy/ morey/ gilligan/ flaherty/ nugent 15 Ryan

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 30/12/2009 23:37:13    522720

Link

will quinn get the bullet again for indiscipline?what did he do the last few times to get thrown off the panel?

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 721 - 02/01/2010 21:24:26    523134

Link

Lads, my humble opinion would be along the lines of BRENNAN, (DILLON or VAUGHAN), COONEY, O GRADY, BULGER, MCINERNEY, DONNELLAN, QUINN, NICKY O'CONNELL, CONLON, BRIAN O'CONNELL, RYAN, GILLIGAN, MCMAHON, CLANCY. I´d give Diarmuid McMahon a free role as a roving full forward and see what happens. Why anyone would question Pat Donnellan's place beats me, and I'm also a fim believer in Jonathan Clancy, both in the intensity he brings to the game and, I feel, an as-of-yet largely untapped scoring ability - he just needs to learn to steady himself a bit at crucial moments because he does create space for himself. Here´s hoping Gilligan, a wonderful servant to Clare hurling, commits for another year as he would be the ultimate role model for the younger players. Honan would probably be better served to only be blooded very slowly over the next couple of years, but Sean Collins should be pushing hard for a place now. I´d also like to see Markham remain on the panel for another year. And as a panel they really should work at bringing a bit more ground hurling into their game. But having said all that, the one thing I am CERTAIN of is that SPARROW is a much better man for the job than this long-distance armchair fan. New Year´s greetings to all from a surprisingly chilly Mexico.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 262 - 06/01/2010 01:47:43    525490

Link

Fans I have to say I wouldnt have Brennan in Goals he had a very poor season last year where in particular a few games in the league were lost due to Clare conceeding sloppy goals and was not much better the year before. So I would give Donal Tuohy a chance at this stage for sure or another goalie. As for Brian O'Connell, Alan Markham, Diarmaid Mc Mahon, I think they had a poor season last year and for many years now, their performance in the club championship was bad also. They are not consistent players and seem to only play their best in the backdoor (qualifiers) as opposed to the Munster Championship. No Titles will be won that way.

steel (Clare) - Posts: 694 - 06/01/2010 11:10:07    525585

Link

Nicky O'Connell and John Conlon should replace Brian O'Connell. Diarmaid Mc Mahon should loose the forward slot to Darach Honan. Alan Markham should loose his position on the panel to the O'Donovan twins from Clonlarla. I expect young winning players with confidence such as the u21s or other club players now need to be playing for the Senior Clare Team this year. It irks me when I hear fans saying that Darach Honan is probably too young to play in the Clare Senior Team or any of the other younger good players are too young to play senior. My view is and I hope the majority view in the county is that if you are good enough and confident enough to play senior then one is never too young. Look at Tipperary with Eoin Kelly and Lar Corbet it seems they have been around for years but they havent been its just they are good and started senior young. Eoin Kelly lined out for Tipp at 19 and it did him no harm! Ok there is a view that sometimes if good young players are introduced to senior hurling too young it destroys them, thats not always true. In Clares case there seems to be always that view yet you could argue that even Ger Loughnanes Team were maturing well into their twenties when they won what they won and you know while they were a great team none of them with the exception of Jamesie, Niall Gilligan and I suppose Davy were really very young when they got the success at senior. So if good enough no matter how young they should be encouraged I think.

steel (Clare) - Posts: 694 - 06/01/2010 11:11:23    525587

Link

In Clare look what happened with the 97 all ireland winning minor hurling team none of them hardly played for the Clare Seniopr Team or not for that long, as a result when they were asked to come on board later in life in their early mid twenties they had lost interest and never played Clare Senior then. Had they been naturally blended into the senior team after winning the minor all ireland and encouraged rather then been discouraged by fans saying they were too young, Clare may have won a few more senior all irelands since 95 and 97. So my view is that this u21 team which in all but name are even more senior men than minors and lets get them onto the senior team and forget about this talk that they are too young. Never too young if good enough. Thats just a clare loosing mentality. I say let them try win the u21 all ireland this year again but let them play senior also which is the main priority. At the end of the day its no good wasting years of a hurlers career trying to achieve to win a senior all ireland and clares fans hopes aswell BY SAYING PLAYERS ARE TOO YOUNG. UP THE BANNER. Blend in the confident young winners with the senior panel and get rid of the current underachievers on the clare team if needs be. They got their chance for a decade now and at this stage wont improve. I would like to think my views are the views of the Sparrow and Clare Fans in general, if not it's all the same if clare wins a rare underage all ireland, the mccarthy cup yet wont be won for another 81 years! Remember this the 95 and 97 All Irelands were won out of the clare minor team of 89 success and clare junior team success of 1993. Them young players were drafted into the senior team by Ger and the rest is history what happened in 95 and 97! However history also tells us as I previously said for some strange reason none of the minor team of the 1997 success came on to the senior team, and hence Clare have won no all ireland senior titles or munster titles since. Doesnt that tell its own story! This u21 team cant be lost in the same way by some thinking that even the good young players are too young to play senior! Never too young if a winner and good enough! This year is as good as next year to play senior why not take the chance to win a senior all ireland this year than waiting for the year after especially if one has a u21 all ireland medal in his pocket and knows how to beat teams like kilkenny in a all ireland final! Wouldnt the likes of Darach Honan be fearless playing kikenny seniors in the championship if he met them as he is a winner and beat them before. Could you say that about some of the current Clare Seniors who have lost constantly to Cork and Kilkenny and Tipperary in the championship? The answer is you could not! STEEL

steel (Clare) - Posts: 694 - 06/01/2010 11:11:41    525588

Link

Also finally I wouldnt have Gerry O'Grady on the team he never has played too bad but never has played great either! The O'Donovans or some of the U21s or new club players would do a better job in that slot. Have to have a strong backrole there and in my view we have not, O'Grady is steady but always caught for pace on askilful forward in the key matches of the championship. Now I wouldnt have Morey on the team either, I know he won an u21 all ireland last year but my view is he had a poor season and didnt get the scores the rest of the u21 clare team got. I think his performance was poor and he would need to improve very much as a young player to have any chance of making the Clare Senior Panel. Fans have their views but I have to say no good having young players not good enough on the Clare Senior Panel just because they won an all ireland u21! Equally its no good saying that young players who are good enough and have won are too young to play Senior. There has to be balance for heavens sake! Clare Fans alot of the time dont seem to have common GAA sense on these issues. Its always seems to be either of the two extremes of viewpoints in my view. No doubt I expect someone now to challenge me on this but you cant have extremes. Then noone hardly has mentioned that Sean Collins should get a call up to the Senior Panel, or what about the great Conor Mc Grath, or Conor Tierney they had some fine displays also in the forard line for Clare U21S, Had they not? Is someone now going to say that these players are too young and younger than even Darach Honan and yet again they are also too young to get on the Clare Senior Panel?? I suppose someone will dispute this too. So look real good Clare GAA common sense is required from the fans aswell because while the management will have their own hopefully good common sense as to who should make the Clare Senior Panel, in their own way good clare fans common sense will help them too.

steel (Clare) - Posts: 694 - 06/01/2010 12:59:16    525712

Link

Does it really matter who plays? Yer back to the old clare again thank god.. the whipping boys of munster and ireland!Up Galway

Famine88 (Kerry) - Posts: 51 - 06/01/2010 16:35:27    525976

Link

1 tuohy 2vaughan or doherty 3dillon or cooney 4o grady 5donnellan or mcinerny 6 quinn 7 bugler or donavan 8boc 9noc 10donavan or sean collins 11carmody 12conlon 13 honan 14mcmahon or nugent 15clancy. sure there is more talent out there. should beat waterford and would nt fear tipp

merlin (Clare) - Posts: 61 - 07/01/2010 00:03:27    526496

Link

Famine88,County Kerry are you from Galway or Kerry I think you are confused poor man! Have you any home to go to? Anyway Galway are useless in hurling one team Clare wouldnt fear thats for sure, and even our great Ger Loughnane couldnt make anything of ye! That says it all. Galway are failures in hurling and if ye hadnt canning Galway would be in a even worse state! At best Galway are only a one man showband! Did you ever go to the showbands Famine 88? As for kerry what do ye know about hurling either Famine88 County Kerry? And you know what, kerry not much good at football either , for a hurling county such as Clare, Clare beat kerry in 1992 and Doonbeg have won a munster club football final as have kilmurray Ibrickane of Clare two munster titles, the most recent one last month a very sweet one against kerry's Kerin O'Rahillys! So now Famine88 put that in your pipe and smoke it in Galway or Kerry! Ps great to beat Galway in the all ireland u21 hurling semifinal this year! The one man canning showband didnt work for Galway against Clare! Clare are far from gone, they are on the up and deep down you know and fear it, Famine 88. The only reason ye rarely beat Clare Seniors last year in Ennis was because Clare had troublemakers on the team but Famine88 each time ye meet Clare in the championship ye always loose and Clare never ever feared ye and wont now either! Ye fluked last years win and cant wait till Clare cross paths with ye again! In fact that evening in Ennis even Mr.Canning was held scoreless from play so that tells you if Clare were in the right frame of mind as normal they should have beaten Galway. Mind you it never took great Clare teams to beat Galway in hurling in recent times anyway, and most Clare fans are mature enough to know that! STEEL

steel (Clare) - Posts: 694 - 07/01/2010 14:49:25    526843

Link

what about colin ryan ,merlin

stekhli (Dublin) - Posts: 3116 - 07/01/2010 17:17:52    527067

Link

1.P.Brennan
2.P.Vaughan 3.C.Cooney 4.G.O'Grady
5.P.Donnellan 6.B.Bugler 7.G.Quinn
8.B.O'Connell 9.N.O'Connell
10.J.Conlon 11.D.McMahon 12.J.Clancy
13.D.Honan 14.N.Gilligan 15.C.Ryan
Gilly hasnt officially retired so I can definately see him playing come championship. If Carmody maintains last years poor form I wouldnt have him near the team.
Markham's experience alone means he still has something to offer but where to play him? He played his best hurling with Clare as a corner forward (98,99,00) but in my opinion never has reached the potential he showed back then. Others close to the starting team would be James McInerney, the O'Donovan twins and possibly Donal Tuohy in the goals.

43463536 (Clare) - Posts: 58 - 07/01/2010 17:54:25    527153

Link

this page is like reading "steel" 's twitter. a stream of consciousness. longest posts I've ever seen. c'mere, i was suprised with how bad ye were last year after a pretty good display in 2008. I was delighted to see ye win the under-21 all ireland, anyone but KK. I'd say success could be on the way to ye again. the one thing about clare is that they never lie down and die, great heart. they're so hard to beat even when they're not a great team. this made ye everyone's 2nd team cos ye were such a likeable bunch and brought great colour to the champ. until ye started winning every year, that got a bit annoying...
i never remember ye having an unbelievable set of forwards but ye always seemed to have scoring midfielders and a great defence. 2009 for clare should be about blooding young players. don't put too much store in the u-21 success, look at limerick. hopefully, in 2011 or 2012 we'll be seeing clare seriously challenege for liam again. we all have to have a serious cut off the cats, i'm soo sick of them winning. anyway, best of luck for the year lads.

hurlinspuds (Cork) - Posts: 1493 - 07/01/2010 17:57:50    527159

Link

colin ryan is a great free taker but does not contribute enough from play but i hope he proves me wrong.

merlin (Clare) - Posts: 61 - 07/01/2010 22:45:32    527672

Link

bugler not suited to centre back.Quinn is the man for number 6.Hope carmody can get his form back.

merlin (Clare) - Posts: 61 - 07/01/2010 22:48:50    527675

Link

ye are not going to win anything so get the notions out of yer heads that ye actually have a chance!!!

Limerick__73 (Limerick) - Posts: 73 - 23/01/2010 19:44:33    540734

Link

Limerick man.....go away and get your own problems sorted out.......when was the last time you did ANYTHING????????????????

IrishRover (Fermanagh) - Posts: 488 - 25/01/2010 16:48:17    542022

Link