Clare Forum

Football - time to put it out of its misery?

(Oldest Posts First)

Alright in all seriousness what is the mood in the County Re Football.

Even the Players have no interest, the county team is serious decline and probably at this stage one of the worst in the Country. The only reason we were mentioned at all in last year's championship is that Galvin got sent off against us. Money has been put to the cause and to no avail the slide downwards continues.

Like most counties in the Country should we not consider focussing on the one sport. The clubs can continue on with the Daly cup but if we pulled the county team and diverted the resources to Hurling would the county not be much better off. I think this is something that needs to be looked at.

Sport is now so competitive that unless hurling is protected it will follow football into the mire.

Better to have one healthy cow that two dying ones!

Dalcassian (Clare) - Posts: 71 - 21/01/2009 11:08:47    185845

Link

When you are making a point will you please think it through, especially when posting onto the main page board, I personally find it kinda embarrassing when you come out with ridiculous comments and you state that your county is Clare, for the national audience to observe on the main page board, god the taught must occur to them, are they all as backward as this guy in Clare, anyway I feel the urge to reply to your latest thread.

I think that would be an un-wise course of action for the following reasons:
In the early nineties when football was as its peak in Clare and hurling was very much in the decline, do you think this issue was debated then? I don't think so. If so, I think it would have been the incorrect course of action considering the hurlers success later that decade.

Clare have been performing well at underage, with notable successes at under 16 in Munster, at minor and U21 we have been achieving wins over Cork and Kerry year after year but are unable to get that critical win of a Munster championship (which is not beyond impossible). I believe the problems in the senior team could be resolved if we were to produce a successful underage team.

Clare club football is still strong ( Kilmurry this year being unlucky not to bring a third munster club championship back to Clare in the last 10 years), also to Kilmihil reaching the Munster intermediate final.

I could make a few critical comments on the current state of Clare hurling, but I chose not to, as I am lover of all our Gaelic games,

Oh yeah that reminds me, I must contradict another stupid point you made earlier:
(You claim that gaelic football is not a national sport and it derived from a mixture of soccer and rugby), In fact Gaelic football is an organised version of the sport which was know as Caid (which is gaelic word with a fada). It was only when the GAA was founded in 1884 that the sport was given a set rules, since it has become the popular sport in country with the largest player base, dare I say, possibly the most competitive, ie, more players = less cups.

I have so many more points I could make, but don't have time, lunch break nearly over!
I would encourage any other hurling followers to air their views and put my mind at ease, that Dalcassin represents a very small minority who probably still exist, off the beaten track in some tribe over in East Clare, near the Tipp border where people are equally as backward.

clareFootball (Clare) - Posts: 7 - 21/01/2009 15:58:03    186048

Link

The "taught" must occur to them and I accussed of being ignorant???? In most counties Football is promoted with hurling only an afterthought. I am just saying we should ( like KK ) inverse this national trend. There seems little interest in the "Sport" in the County.

Dalcassian (Clare) - Posts: 71 - 21/01/2009 16:18:32    186093

Link

Whats the clare county football team like this year? just wonderin what type of oppisition we can expect in Dr. Cullen Park in Carlow on sunday?

Biffo (Carlow) - Posts: 91 - 26/01/2009 19:14:10    190027

Link

by chance are you from East Clare that you would post such rubbish. Football is the game of west Clare and is increasing in places such as Ennis with eastern clubs such as Crussheen winning the minor in 2008. The emergence of the hurlers in no small way can be placed on them seeing the footballers winning munster in 92 and believing that old hoodoos could be beaten

clareinexile (Clare) - Posts: 3 - 29/01/2009 14:14:17    193201

Link

First'ly you are all very welcome to Dr. Cullen Park to morrow. I went to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the GAA, to see football played at the highest level and to put to rest once and for all how important is the mid field battle, so ---
Your coming up to morrow with a balanced side and with relative success with your minor and under 21 side, a munster senior title under your belt in '92 and well deserved, the neutral says it's your game by about 2 or 3 points, I'm not so sure I think we may sneak it by the same amount.
Ceatharlach Abu, agus Failte.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2025 - 31/01/2009 23:32:25    194995

Link

Clare Versus Carlow.What a great start for the Clare footballers/.Well done Frank Doherty and staff.Good thinking to get some young blood in there.Was alll over them with the bookies. Powers had the best price.You could expect an enthusiastic perfomance from the youngsters-and some good things ahead for the under twenty ones.It's nice to see there is pride still in wearing the Clare football jersey.I hope all players take the game seriously.With the draw set up Clare should be in the Munster final...brian boru

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 01/02/2009 19:34:34    195283

Link

Great result today
Did not expect us to win this one, with so many players missing from last year and so many new faces. Full credit must be given to Frank Doherty and co. Not a glamerous job at the moment but doing a good job. It augers well for the U21 team this year and as I have stated previously, real progress of Clare football can only be made with success at underage.

clareFootball (Clare) - Posts: 7 - 01/02/2009 20:40:17    195352

Link

football and hurlng should be promoted equally and footballers are getting better results underage than hurlers ps from east clare

yankee (Clare) - Posts: 134 - 14/03/2009 12:43:06    232308

Link