Carlow Forum

Proposal

(Oldest Posts First)

So peeps what do we think of the proposal Carlow recommended for change to senior county championship structure?

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 22/07/2015 19:22:54    1757727

Link

what is it?

more4me (Carlow) - Posts: 93 - 22/07/2015 19:59:25    1757746

Link

http://www.carlowgaa.ie/team-to-play-longford-2/

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 22/07/2015 21:19:37    1757788

Link

the link doesn't work - however the Jim McGuinness proposal if that is what you are referring to would seem to get over the reluctance to abolish the provincial championship and bring in a second tier comp. It would be much better for a county like ourselves where Leinster is a non event (along with the other counties) give us more games, a chance to win a more meaningful comp with 16 rather than the 8 in the Tommy Murphy cup, provide a route through to the last 16 for the Sam Maguire and the Leinster series still exists for the traditionalists. This proposal provides a link to the League as your league placing can decide which competition you are in. I cant see any negatives from our perspective as to continue with the current system is ridiculous - the gap between the elite half dozen or so counties seems to be widening - I suppose the Division 3 counties and the lower half of Div 2 might not accept it ...

still it is worth considering and the proposal is better than a lot of the lip service dished out to the weaker counties ...

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 463 - 27/07/2015 12:30:13    1759624

Link

http://www.carlowgaa.ie/carlow-gaa-football-championship-proposal/

This should work.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 27/07/2015 13:42:08    1759677

Link

http://www.carlowgaa.ie/carlow-gaa-football-championship-proposal/

This should work.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 27/07/2015 14:08:13    1759705

Link

Is this a Carlow GAA proposal? While I don't mean to be critical of any fresh thinking, which is to be welcomed, I find it poorly explained / outlined and would need more detail to properly comment...

The benefit of the Mcguinness proposal www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-how-i-would-reinvigorate-football-championship-1.2241993 is it actually creates a second tier competition we could be competitive in, the other seems to just rejig the current system .... I suppose something is better than nothing but cant see it addressing the reality for most counties i.e. they are just there to make up the numbers. I think the lads lining out for Carlow and other counties deserve something meaningful to be put in place not just window dressing.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 463 - 27/07/2015 17:27:24    1759900

Link

When I said "this should work" I was referring to the link. The proposal itself simply serves to possibly win a match or 2 and then exit championship early. No chance of silverware and our season will be over in May/June. Totally agree we need a second tier and strive to win it.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 27/07/2015 18:13:20    1759936

Link

from some recent tweets and newspaper articles I have read I see some of the Carlow players are supportive of a second competition (could it be called the Intermediate Championship ?)

Of this weekend the Kerry / Kildare result is notable given that a county with the playing and financial resources such as Kildare cannot at this stage compete with Kerry - even at the top table a discernible gap has begun to really open in the past few years ... Counties such as ourselves have been suffering from this over the past few years so it is definitely no news to us. I think 'Cake' Curran had a point on the Sunday Game the other evening, albeit awkwardly expressed, that institutions which were once thought as unassailable eventually went into decline ... and if the GAA do not examine it properly it could be facing the same with the senior football championship given the massively lopsided nature of the games .... Despite what people might think about his tactical / playing style, Jim McGuinness of Donegal is always well worth reading and IMO is progressive and far thinking in a lot of what he writes.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 463 - 04/08/2015 11:08:23    1763573

Link

• GPA unveils football structure proposals
I just read this on the HS home page, so where does this leave the carlow proposal or is it going to get a hearing, just out of curiosity nothing more.

Bimb
County: Carlow

1759677 http://www.carlowgaa.ie/carlow-gaa-football-championship-proposal/

This should work.

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 287 - 01/10/2015 19:14:03    1794907

Link