Carlow Forum

Eire Og V Ballyboden

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Heartbreaking defeat to get that close. They almost did it but just couldn't get over the line through no fault of anyone.

Conditions were atrocious but that pitch would have been brutal regardless of today's wet weather. An unsuitable venue pitch wise.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1183 - 08/12/2019 19:20:47    2253846

Link

Replying To Semperfidelis:  "Ref did them no favours. Free count was 11-1 in1st.half. complete jokeshop."
Never like blaming refs. Eire i
Ogs 6th point was won from a push in the back so it's swings and round abouts

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1278 - 08/12/2019 20:31:49    2253854

Link

There was nothing left for Eire Og to give out there today, heart breaking stuff. I am convinced if the game was played in St. Conleths Newbridge the result may very well have been in Eire Og's favour of that I am convinced

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1994 - 08/12/2019 23:11:15    2253876

Link

Replying To Semperfidelis:  "Ref did them no favours. Free count was 11-1 in1st.half. complete jokeshop."
Have to agree with that. Partly influenced by who had the bulk of the possession but most EO attacks
resulted in someone being flattened with no free and the free count in the first half kept BB in the match.

The ref was definitely spoken to by an assessor at half time (or someone as well as Joe) because the interpretation was much more consistent.

Great display that could have gone either way. BB unbeaten so far in 2019 in all competitions.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 151 - 09/12/2019 09:34:08    2253894

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Never like blaming refs. Eire i
Ogs 6th point was won from a push in the back so it's swings and round abouts"
Fair enough but 11frees to 1 seems a little out of kilter.even some neutrals I spoke to remarked on it.

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 88 - 09/12/2019 09:38:15    2253895

Link

Replying To Semperfidelis:  "Fair enough but 11frees to 1 seems a little out of kilter.even some neutrals I spoke to remarked on it."
Free count doesn't tell the story, in fairness BB tackling was excellent. In those conditions anyone who comes off second in a race to the ball or in a tackle is going to end up on the ground. Doesn't mean there's a foul. I had no complaints about the ref.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1183 - 09/12/2019 14:14:27    2253937

Link

Hard luck to eire og. Gave it socks and just came up short. Bbse were always going to get chances and its remarkable and heart breaking in another way that it took them until the last 5 to punch holes into eire og. I remember it was 70/30 in terms of possession at htime in bbse favour despite them playing into a gale. Ref wasnt an issue for me. Bad for both at times - could have easily called back the games only goal chance for a free/penalty for a clear pull on shoulder. Eire og just couldn't keep the ball in their half like they did in theirs. Tough day to play. I can easily see this eire og team winning the next 2/3 county titles and making another tilt at leinster. They certainly represented themselves and the county really well in this campaign.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2604 - 09/12/2019 14:26:54    2253941

Link

Hard luck to eire og. Gave it socks and just came up short. Bbse were always going to get chances and its remarkable and heart breaking in another way that it took them until the last 5 to punch holes into eire og. I remember it was 70/30 in terms of possession at htime in bbse favour despite them playing into a gale. Ref wasnt an issue for me. Bad for both at times - could have easily called back the games only goal chance for a free/penalty for a clear pull on shoulder. Eire og just couldn't keep the ball in their half like they did in theirs. Tough day to play. I can easily see this eire og team winning the next 2/3 county titles and making another tilt at leinster. They certainly represented themselves and the county really well in this campaign.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2604 - 09/12/2019 14:27:08    2253942

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Free count doesn't tell the story, in fairness BB tackling was excellent. In those conditions anyone who comes off second in a race to the ball or in a tackle is going to end up on the ground. Doesn't mean there's a foul. I had no complaints about the ref."
BB were charging with the ball and taking the extra steps...wasn't called once.Fair play to BB they got away with it but don't tell me 3 frees is normal. Blake was fouled several times only got 1free and that was after he received a box in the mouth.

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 88 - 09/12/2019 18:36:08    2253996

Link

The Éire Óg lads should be so proud of themselves. They kept the fight until the very end. I feared for them at half time as I felt they didn't utilise the wind, but they seemed to play better against the wind in the second half.
On a day where everyone of them stood up it's hard to pick the stand out men but once again Gannon was immense in midfield. Morrissey played well too, he's some unit for a 20 year old too. Lowry was excellent in the defence. They were all brilliant and I couldn't fault any of them on a day where you wouldn't put the dog out in the weather. It was a battle to keep the umbrella up at stages of the match.
The Éire Óg lads can be proud and they have represented their club and county with distinction this year, unfortunately it just wasn't to be yesterday. I'm sure they are chomping at the bit to drive it on again next year and they'll be planning for it soon I'd say. I wouldn't rule them out to go one step further next year.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 61 - 09/12/2019 21:56:15    2254028

Link

Fantastic effort in desperate conditions on Sunday. Ballyboden will probably go on and win the All Ireland and Eire Og were ahead in the last minute. Just goes to show that with a little improvement this team could win a Leinster in the next couple of years. I thought the ref was poor. The free count was very uneven. Blake was fouled a good few times and got very few frees. The physicality of Boden was impressive. Eire Og have beefed up a fair bit this year but need to work a bit on it to get over the line. These are the fine margins that decide titles. Eire Og are a relatively young team. Morrissey, Dunphy and Hulton are all young lads that are still improving. The full and half back lines are immense and the cornerstone of the team. Benny Kavanagh and Mark Fitz in particular were superb all year. Gannon is the leader and inspiration of the side and the best player in Carlow by miles this last few years. Darragh O Brien had a great year also. Blake ended up leading scorer in The Leinster Club Championship and that's no mean feat . They also have a strong bench and a lot of those lads will push on aswell. A few minor adjustments and improvements and an All Ireland push would not be beyond them. Well done to all involved. Carlow rising.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 208 - 12/12/2019 01:25:50    2254370

Link

Replying To ontheball85:  "Fantastic effort in desperate conditions on Sunday. Ballyboden will probably go on and win the All Ireland and Eire Og were ahead in the last minute. Just goes to show that with a little improvement this team could win a Leinster in the next couple of years. I thought the ref was poor. The free count was very uneven. Blake was fouled a good few times and got very few frees. The physicality of Boden was impressive. Eire Og have beefed up a fair bit this year but need to work a bit on it to get over the line. These are the fine margins that decide titles. Eire Og are a relatively young team. Morrissey, Dunphy and Hulton are all young lads that are still improving. The full and half back lines are immense and the cornerstone of the team. Benny Kavanagh and Mark Fitz in particular were superb all year. Gannon is the leader and inspiration of the side and the best player in Carlow by miles this last few years. Darragh O Brien had a great year also. Blake ended up leading scorer in The Leinster Club Championship and that's no mean feat . They also have a strong bench and a lot of those lads will push on aswell. A few minor adjustments and improvements and an All Ireland push would not be beyond them. Well done to all involved. Carlow rising."
Cant agree with darragh o'Brien comment. He had a decent game against port but otherwise was anonymous and particularly so last Sunday. Having said that your analysis is spot on and if Eire og can unearth 1 or2 more they can def win it in next couple of years.

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 88 - 12/12/2019 11:17:57    2254405

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "Hard luck to eire og. Gave it socks and just came up short. Bbse were always going to get chances and its remarkable and heart breaking in another way that it took them until the last 5 to punch holes into eire og. I remember it was 70/30 in terms of possession at htime in bbse favour despite them playing into a gale. Ref wasnt an issue for me. Bad for both at times - could have easily called back the games only goal chance for a free/penalty for a clear pull on shoulder. Eire og just couldn't keep the ball in their half like they did in theirs. Tough day to play. I can easily see this eire og team winning the next 2/3 county titles and making another tilt at leinster. They certainly represented themselves and the county really well in this campaign."
I can't let the year fizzle out without giving Sean Gannon a mention; Imo, he's the most complete player since Paddy Quirke.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1994 - 26/12/2019 21:37:47    2256183

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "I can't let the year fizzle out without giving Sean Gannon a mention; Imo, he's the most complete player since Paddy Quirke."
Agree 100%. A phenomenon player and a leader of men.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 208 - 27/12/2019 10:36:26    2256202

Link

Replying To ontheball85:  "Agree 100%. A phenomenon player and a leader of men."
Totally agree . Yes a fine player, huge courage .
I could see him being a future Carlow Manager. Although he still has a few years as a key player for us.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 451 - 27/12/2019 14:26:50    2256223

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "Totally agree . Yes a fine player, huge courage .
I could see him being a future Carlow Manager. Although he still has a few years as a key player for us."
Ye he's unreal. Looks light but my god write him off at your peril. Serious fielder & what an engine.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1089 - 27/12/2019 18:13:28    2256249

Link