Carlow Forum

Portlaoise V Eire Og

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To carlowman:  "Delighted that O Moore Park has been chosen for final !

One of the best places in the country to watch a game and it's not far from home. Plenty of parking unlike Newbridge with a paltry number of seats and a brutal pitch.

We might think that O Moore Park is soft but Newbridge is softer again and hard for players to keep their footing.

Good too that EO have had a game under their belt there too."
I'm not sure if I agree with all of that carlowman but that's your opinion. When Eire Og were on a roll in the 90's quiet a few if not all of their semi finals and finals were played in St. Conleths park Newbridge, in fact I have here in front of me a hard copy of a double header played there in Nov. 1995 between Eire Og / Ballyboden and Dunderry / An Tochar.
Plenty of free parking in the White water car park for all similar gaa games, I was at the Sars. /Moors replay Co. final huge crowd, no issues and pitch was perfect, no issue with the stand either and far terrace is as good as you'll find, in my opinion it's a home from home venue for Eire Og they have a history of victories there including Leinster Finals.
NB. For the record the final score was, Eire Og. 1-10 Ballyboden 2-06

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1994 - 26/11/2019 22:47:20    2251694

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "I'm not sure if I agree with all of that carlowman but that's your opinion. When Eire Og were on a roll in the 90's quiet a few if not all of their semi finals and finals were played in St. Conleths park Newbridge, in fact I have here in front of me a hard copy of a double header played there in Nov. 1995 between Eire Og / Ballyboden and Dunderry / An Tochar.
Plenty of free parking in the White water car park for all similar gaa games, I was at the Sars. /Moors replay Co. final huge crowd, no issues and pitch was perfect, no issue with the stand either and far terrace is as good as you'll find, in my opinion it's a home from home venue for Eire Og they have a history of victories there including Leinster Finals.
NB. For the record the final score was, Eire Og. 1-10 Ballyboden 2-06"
You do realise that the last of the Eire Og players with a history of winning big games in Newbridge retired from senior football about a decade ago?... the players playing now are more used to playing in Portlaoise, or Tullamore... time moves on... and Newbridge is a hell of a kip these days...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 300 - 26/11/2019 23:37:56    2251702

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "
Replying To supersub15:  "I'm not sure if I agree with all of that carlowman but that's your opinion. When Eire Og were on a roll in the 90's quiet a few if not all of their semi finals and finals were played in St. Conleths park Newbridge, in fact I have here in front of me a hard copy of a double header played there in Nov. 1995 between Eire Og / Ballyboden and Dunderry / An Tochar.
You do realise that the last of the Eire Og players with a history of winning big games in Newbridge retired from senior football about a decade ago?... the players playing now are more used to playing in Portlaoise, or Tullamore... time moves on... and Newbridge is a hell of a kip these days..."
Portlaoise is a soul- less place. Just like the town.hate going there to games and dreadful road as well.id take newbridge any day.

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 88 - 27/11/2019 11:58:52    2251762

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "
You do realise that the last of the Eire Og players with a history of winning big games in Newbridge retired from senior football about a decade ago?... the players playing now are more used to playing in Portlaoise, or Tullamore... time moves on... and Newbridge is a hell of a kip these days..."
I understand St. Conleths is not perfect but where is, certainly not Portlaoise, a harsh few words to describe Newbridge, it didn't get the "Newbridge or Nowhere" tag for being a Kip.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1994 - 27/11/2019 13:14:16    2251784

Link

I don't think Newbridge was ever a runner. There hasn't been a club final played there in over 20 years. It would have been nice for a bit of nostalgia though.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1278 - 27/11/2019 13:23:30    2251787

Link

Having been to all of Eire Og s finals in Newbridge and having been to Portlaoise more often in recent years, I like to sit down now and Conleths Park has very few seats and I don't want to be there an hour and a half before the game.

Portlaoise has a great stand where you have good comfortable seats and plenty of them.
It's my view that it's a good venue around 45 min from Eire Ogs grounds.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder !

The Eire Og players and the hurlers have played there more often in Portlaoise than in Newbridge.
Sure Portlaoise patrons will shout for EO and St Mullins over the next 2 weeks!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1510 - 27/11/2019 13:41:43    2251793

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "I don't think Newbridge was ever a runner. There hasn't been a club final played there in over 20 years. It would have been nice for a bit of nostalgia though."
Portlaoise get more than their fair share si.ply because leinster council is based there. Endov. ..

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 88 - 27/11/2019 23:40:01    2251885

Link

Replying To Semperfidelis:  "Portlaoise get more than their fair share si.ply because leinster council is based there. Endov. .."
Portlaoise gets games because a) along with Kilkenny, Wexford and Tullamore it's one of the four best stadiums in Leinster, besides Dublin b) it's very well placed geographically.... obviously for Carlow v Dublin, Portlaoise is handier than the others for both sets of supporters... Wexford might have been as good for the hurling, granted... as for earlier poster about kips... yes, Newbridge is a kip... so is Leix, of course, but their county grounds are alright!

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 300 - 28/11/2019 08:34:28    2251903

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Portlaoise gets games because a) along with Kilkenny, Wexford and Tullamore it's one of the four best stadiums in Leinster, besides Dublin b) it's very well placed geographically.... obviously for Carlow v Dublin, Portlaoise is handier than the others for both sets of supporters... Wexford might have been as good for the hurling, granted... as for earlier poster about kips... yes, Newbridge is a kip... so is Leix, of course, but their county grounds are alright!"
I don't have a problem with port in summer(apart from the sheer ugliness of the place) but it's not a suitable venue for winter football, don't even mention hurling. I'd prefer any of the other venues. It gets the lions share of fixtures not because of it's location, (newbridge is far more central location for carlow v,Dublin and would be far better atmosphere because port is far too big) but because leinster council is based there and stacked with laois officials who are naturally going to give it every game possible.

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 88 - 28/11/2019 10:09:49    2251912

Link

The pitch is heavy in Portlaoise granted, but Newbridge is even heavier.

St Mullins offered Shamrocks a toss for venue but Shamrocks opted for neutral venue.

Portlaoise is an hour from Dublin. Tullamore is an hour from us, and that is a heavy pitch also. So Portlaoise is the best option. To be honest the Leinster Council usually get the venues right.
Where their employees come from makes little difference as far as I can see when it comes to picking venues.

We are spoiled with Netwatch Cullen Park !

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1510 - 28/11/2019 16:00:00    2251978

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "The pitch is heavy in Portlaoise granted, but Newbridge is even heavier.

St Mullins offered Shamrocks a toss for venue but Shamrocks opted for neutral venue.

Portlaoise is an hour from Dublin. Tullamore is an hour from us, and that is a heavy pitch also. So Portlaoise is the best option. To be honest the Leinster Council usually get the venues right.
Where their employees come from makes little difference as far as I can see when it comes to picking venues.

We are spoiled with Netwatch Cullen Park !"
We'll agree to differ but definitely agree onNCP.

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 88 - 28/11/2019 18:03:50    2252005

Link

Great stand and comfy seats omg, I was on the terrace for the Sarsfields game and others, I had no problem with that, ask the Dub's why they don't have a stand or seats on the hill.
An agriculturalist or micro biologists couldn't tell the difference between the playing surface on St. Conleths or O'Moore park. If a team is good enough to play on one surface they should be good and confident enough to play on any pitch surface.
Whatever about the surface, O'Moore park is vast, unless you have 20,000 plus there will be a negative atmosphere, a positive atmosphere is crucial for Eire Og, as Ballyboden will be going into this game as strong favourites.
St. Conleths is very similar to NCP, as in tightness and the size of the playing surface. If Eire Og in the 90's could get 5 Leinsters out of St. Conleth's why can't the Eire Og of today get 1 out of it.
Ballyboden are unbeaten over the past two years, they are used to playing on a much bigger stage than Eire Og, they sap up energy they love space the bigger the better, have they been tested on a tight pitch, I don't think so, or so I'm led to believe.
Our friend Anthony Rainbow has them buzzing, he knows the strengths and weakness of Eire Og, make no mistake about that. I would hate to think if it went belly up, what would the critics and the hurler on the ditch be saying, would O'Moore Park v's St. Conleths be a factor.??
We are splitting hairs when we mark the difference in mins. between Dublin and Newbridge / Portlaoise, if anything Newbridge is much more user friendly, c/w free parking, straight across the street (1min) is a few pub's c/w a bit of food if needed.
As for the suggestion there was no club games in St. Conleth's in over 20 years, that is because St. Conleth's didn't cater for the geography of the club's. I was at the replay of Sarsfields and Moorefield Co. final, I was on the terrace, great game and great athmosphere.
The word is, Newbridge wasn't chosen as the venue for the Eire Og v Ballyboden game because it doesn't have floodlights. wexico 15 is spot on.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1994 - 28/11/2019 21:38:27    2252032

Link