(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Team is in for laois game

Dj

Ac pd md
Rs de db
Sk aa
Kmc pc jmn
Mk eb cn

Despite injuries it looks a strong team.

Should be a tight game but we can win.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1031 - 22/02/2020 10:19:21    2268939

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Team is in for laois game

Dj

Ac pd md
Rs de db
Sk aa
Kmc pc jmn
Mk eb cn

Despite injuries it looks a strong team.

Should be a tight game but we can win."
Tough result Great comeback

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 456 - 22/02/2020 20:35:39    2269069

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "Tough result Great comeback"
Apart from the obvious talent in the team, these guys have some grit and tenacity. I really hope they come through in the game against Westmeath, they deserve it.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 23/02/2020 08:54:24    2269198

Link

Great second half display last night on an unplayable pitch.

Thought we had the momentum when we got level at the end but in a close match its small things that make the difference.

Draw would have been fair result but last year we were on the right side of the tight matches so i girss its just one of those things.

We have players returning from injury so we should be stronger against Westmeath in 2 weeks time.

Probably Tullamore ?

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1031 - 23/02/2020 12:01:30    2269237

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Great second half display last night on an unplayable pitch.

Thought we had the momentum when we got level at the end but in a close match its small things that make the difference.

Draw would have been fair result but last year we were on the right side of the tight matches so i girss its just one of those things.

We have players returning from injury so we should be stronger against Westmeath in 2 weeks time.

Probably Tullamore ?"
Is there a date for the Westmeath game? Not showing on main page. Didn't see the second half coming last night. Some awful calls again from McAllister though.

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 464 - 23/02/2020 13:15:47    2269264

Link

Replying To Passer_By:  "Is there a date for the Westmeath game? Not showing on main page. Didn't see the second half coming last night. Some awful calls again from McAllister though."
On the weekend of the 7/8th March.

Gives a few lads a couple more weeks to get fit.

We could do with Richard Coady back and a few others but will be a 50/50 match no matter what.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1031 - 23/02/2020 16:17:18    2269303

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "On the weekend of the 7/8th March.

Gives a few lads a couple more weeks to get fit.

We could do with Richard Coady back and a few others but will be a 50/50 match no matter what."
Any hope murphy and doyle will be back?

Semperfidelis (Carlow) - Posts: 93 - 23/02/2020 16:45:31    2269322

Link

Heart breaking for teamob Saturday night probably left themselves to much to do considering the conditions but once again played and gave everything as always left everything on the pitch again.

Marty kavanagh gave an exhibition of hurling surely he must be in the top ten hurlers in the country now at this stage we are blessed to have him on our team.

One thing I wanted to ask as I wasn't at the game personally was Chris Nolan injured prior to this game surely we could have gone with mouse Nolan and Eddie Byrne at full forward for this game. Nolan scored 2 points from play when he came on has been hurling with Carlow IT all year and was one of the better players on show in Fitzgibbon cup final just seems a bit strange if he wasn't injured to not start him.

Still think we can beat westmeath but if we could have Seamus and James Doyle back it would really help the cause. Forward line of Seamus Eddie Kevin Mc with Mouse Chris Nolan and James Doyle could cause Westmeath or any team a lot of trouble on there day.

ITSCHOLAR (Carlow) - Posts: 232 - 23/02/2020 22:10:16    2269510

Link

Replying To TaosHum:  "Carlow Town by all accounts are a failing club, hence why Palatine setup their own side and Setanta created at juvenile level. Their in the mess they are because of their own actions and failings.

I'm not saying the county board is directly aiding these clubs (if they are it's not much anyway) but they do alot of work at underage in the county at the moment with the Colts, Celtic Cup, academy and camps ran during the year. Could they do more? Absolutely, but there are outlets for players to further develop which weren't previously in place. The northern clubs need to get their kids in there if they want to improve in the future. It's up to clubs to get the kids playing and what quality of coaching they get.

My original point in this thread was that it was a massive ask for Aaron Amond, who was playing Intermediate B with NB last year, to go and then play against Clare and Dublin. The jump in level is ridiculous, considering he's not even playing against MLR's second team. The fact he was out there is a testament to him, but you can't tell me he wouldn't benefit from playing against Senior clubs in Carlow?

Naomh Brid and Carlow Town requested to drop down to intermediate. They don't want to play Senior hurling. As I already said, CT refused to go up after winning intermediate 5/6 years ago. That's been my point. Difference with Carlow, Laois, etc do want to play senior hurling. They are happy to be on the wrong end of big beatings if it means the players are exposed to top tier hurling and what it takes to get there.

I've noting more to really add on the inter county point. Totally different animal. Combined teams won't work, no real point discussing hypothetical scenario's. If the combined team in Carlow couldn't work for practical reasons I wouldn't defend it.

The reason people are against Imokilly is because they have began dominating and are full of top hurlers and senior players. Your talking 20 odd clubs in the heartland of Cork hurling. A Carlow version would be made up of 5 clubs from the weakest part of the county, I can see why people don't like the idea of Imokilly now that they have gone to another level, but you can't tell me lads being introduced to that side, training with the likes of Harnedy, Dalton, etc and playing top tier hurling are not benefiting? County players are certainly benefiting from regularly playing/training at a higher level, especially earlier in their careers.

If people are against the idea, that's grand. But to say it wouldn't benefit lads playing and training with/against better quality than what they normally would, doesn't make sense to me."
TaosHum. Agreed there are outlets to further develop players, both before and after adult level within the county setup with out creating a team to facilitate a very small number of players. I agree developing youth is the key but you are wanting a team for adults, i have played against the player in question and hurler indeed. But i still don't believe we should create a team for him and very few small number of players like him, which i never said would not benefit them of coarse they would but it would harm potential hurling growth in county in general. So you are saying they don't want to play senior i would contend that they don't feel they can compete at the the level but desperately want to play senior. Look the county board again are culpable her fixing football games same time or week as hurling games i know NB could not get there full team out because of fixture back logs of games in both codes that doesn't help. But dont talk for people in these clubs saying they dont want to be senior unless you are certain that is the case. If it is why is the reason for it.

I think you wont comment on the concept of county proposal i put forward because you would be against it which goes fundamentally against your argument. You don't want to discuss hypothetical scenario's but you are proposing a hypothetical scenario with this amalgamated team no???? Your using the "wont work" argument yet players travel to every county home from Dublin etc every week for trainings, it just your opinion it "wont work". Again you came up with your idea for an amalgamated team first then only did you think about the practically of it , just do the same for this weigh up the logic, thinking and rational behind pro & cons of have combined team for we counties in the CR and forget about the "practical reasons". Im challenging your rational, pro & cons of a carlow divisional team not the ability to implement it.

I wont say it could not help develop those cork players in a small part because that part of your argument is correct, it would defiantly be good for them & the Araon Amonds of Carlow to have this option but does it make it right to do what are long term implications for hurling in general. Dalton cant play with Imokilly any more his club Fr O'neils are now senior and to be honest that is mainly down to him so like i said if the player are young good and hungry they will drive there teams up through the ranks anyway. Bill Cooper, Brian Lawton, Séamus Harnedy, Paudie O'Sullivan and Declan Dalton all would have played for Cork if Imokilly didnt exist it is my assertion they all to my knowledge played underage with cork and all have been in the county set up since they were 20 or so. My point to this is if i thought more county players would to be developed or the hurling growth within the county would be served by your amalgamated team i could agree with it but it doesn't. All your saying is that a small number of players at the moment could benefit from it but for what greater good to carlow hurling in general? Araon is already in the county set up training with the squad and anyone of his ability of interest in hurling if they wanted to would be in the squad also. he learning curve is steep but seems to be doing well based on last 2 games. This year to my knowledge the inter carlow club champ will feature CT & NB and again like i previously said if both could get all players fit available and the County board not put football fixtures to hamper this both could a-quit themselves very well in 2020 and if Araon keeps his current form maybe NB might get names on the trophy.

Blow-in (Carlow) - Posts: 9 - 24/02/2020 15:48:03    2269784

Link