Carlow Forum

CARLOW SFC

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Got to DCP saturday and sunday. Costly weekend. !!!

Saturday was enjoyable despite the conditions. Delighted for Fenagh. They have been knocking for a long time. Tullow might regret some missed chances.

The intermediate was tough going. Two very physical sides. Kildavin had the bit of quality to get them scores. The final will be excellent if good weather.

Senior was a no show from pal. EO werent given a test. But they looked slick and could have won by a lot more.

And lastly a great win for the town. Badly need that area to be a football hot bed. Some excellent footballers

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 07/10/2019 09:12:43    2241714

Link

Eire Og were just too good. They were relentless in attack and didn't give Palatine any chances whenever they attacked Eire Og. Benny Kavanagh was deserving of MOTM with Morrissey and Denieffe having great games also. Eire Og should have been well out of sight at half time with them missing numerous goal chances. They could have easily won by 20+ points and more.
Palatine didn't do themselves any favours when attacking. They were slow to move the ball around the middle of the field and were slow to give it to the inside forwards, in contrast to Eire Og who gave the ball inside as soon as possible. I thought young Brennan at midfield tried hard for Pal along with Kane. Young Kehoe inside made the most of what little ball he got.
Like other posts have said it's hard to know how good this Eire Og team is as they seem to be too good for anyone in Carlow at them moment. Congratulations to them for winning 3 in a row, a fantastic achievement and if they can keep their heads it's frightening how many they can win in the coming years with the young talent coming through.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 59 - 07/10/2019 17:15:46    2241888

Link

Great win for Eire Og on Sunday. There seems to be a growing gap between Eire Og and the rest and that is worrying. They controlled the game from the start and only for Craig Kearney the scoreline could have been higher. He made 4 great saves and had them and Haydens missed penalty gone in itcould have made the score ridiculous . They face the Wexford Champions in a couple of weeks in the county grounds. Should have a chance there.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 198 - 08/10/2019 19:29:20    2242154

Link

I'd be wary of saying Eire Og will win six or seven... While they are a fantastic team, they still rely on a few lads not exactly in the first flush of youth.... what's really going on in Carlow football is a changing of the guard... Palatine, despite great work at underage, haven't been able to retain players at adult level, to be extent they need... Rathvilly are running out of puff, and post-Brendan Murphy they could slip away for a long time (even be relegated), they are struggling for numbers, and age profile shows that (40-year-old full back!)... Old Leighlin are struggling now, and Tinryland just can't hack it at adult level, for reasons I don't quite grasp... instead, Bagenalstown are on the rise (that was a very good minor team), and the same goes for Fenagh (I suspect they will come straight up out of IFC next year)... I think the joker in the pack is O'Hanrahans... lets' be frank, they should be doing A LOT better... but they may well have gotten their act together... they let themselves go to pot for a long time (not helped by Eire Og disgracefully poaching a player from them - something which I think devalues the victory last Sunday... if they win the IFC next week, and keep up the commitment at senior, they are capable of putting some manners on Eire Og... but they badly need a decent minor team to emerge in the next few years... I wouldn't be sure about Eire Og dominating... there's an inherent discipline problem in that club, and it wouldn't take much to have them fighting among themselves again...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 288 - 08/10/2019 21:27:01    2242187

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "I'd be wary of saying Eire Og will win six or seven... While they are a fantastic team, they still rely on a few lads not exactly in the first flush of youth.... what's really going on in Carlow football is a changing of the guard... Palatine, despite great work at underage, haven't been able to retain players at adult level, to be extent they need... Rathvilly are running out of puff, and post-Brendan Murphy they could slip away for a long time (even be relegated), they are struggling for numbers, and age profile shows that (40-year-old full back!)... Old Leighlin are struggling now, and Tinryland just can't hack it at adult level, for reasons I don't quite grasp... instead, Bagenalstown are on the rise (that was a very good minor team), and the same goes for Fenagh (I suspect they will come straight up out of IFC next year)... I think the joker in the pack is O'Hanrahans... lets' be frank, they should be doing A LOT better... but they may well have gotten their act together... they let themselves go to pot for a long time (not helped by Eire Og disgracefully poaching a player from them - something which I think devalues the victory last Sunday... if they win the IFC next week, and keep up the commitment at senior, they are capable of putting some manners on Eire Og... but they badly need a decent minor team to emerge in the next few years... I wouldn't be sure about Eire Og dominating... there's an inherent discipline problem in that club, and it wouldn't take much to have them fighting among themselves again..."
Which player did they poach? Is this recent as I haven't heard of this. I have said that I reckon they will go on to win many more as I think they are too strong for the majority of teams in Carlow. Their youth coming through have won numerous championships at underage level and many of these are being blooded at senior and Intermediate level, how many other clubs around can do that? They obviously have worked hard to put themselves in that position and to give their young players the best chance to play at senior level. Looking at their bench the other day, there was at least 12 or 13 players under the age of 25. I reckon they're in a healthy position moving forward.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 59 - 08/10/2019 22:13:31    2242211

Link

The debate will continue regarding whether EO were outstanding or Pal were poor. I think EO were superb in most facets, their possession was huge, their shot selection was not always perfect but they forced frees and a penalty and one unusual miss from close range.
Pal were unable to cope with the direct accurate free flowing movement of EO and when they tried to bypass midfield and their half forward line Benny Kavanagh was there to clean up.
Eire Og were unstoppable on Sunday.
Pal while looking good at times going forward against Rathvilly but were not able to defend v EO. They could not get enough possession from kick outs and were a beaten team after 5 min in second half.
Will EO go further... let's see against the Wexfird champions. They have the pedigree and great players is their overall team strong enough... hard to know as they promised much last year too only to flop spectacularly in Longford.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1508 - 09/10/2019 19:58:05    2242429

Link

Exciting stuff

Hootie (Laois) - Posts: 31 - 10/10/2019 09:16:24    2242495

Link

I reckon this Eire Og team could go well in Leinster this year. No more defensive football. A big panel. This could be their year.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 198 - 15/10/2019 23:06:13    2243845

Link