National Forum

Attendances 2024

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think there's a grain of truth to what he says. There is clearly a very strong Ulster identity.

I think there is a relatively strong idea of a Connacht and Munster identity too but maybe not as strong as in Ulster imo.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a strong Leinster identity among people in Leinster. Historically Leinster didn't exist as in its current form. Bits of it were part of Munster or Ulster, then you have the historic province of Meath as we as The Pale and the city of Dublin etc. Maybe it's because of that?

Personally I don't consider myself as from Leinster. I'm from Dublin, then I'm from Ireland.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 17/04/2024 13:32:10    2538592

Link

Replying To PattyONeill:  "Southern people don't have a emotional connection to their province anyway. With our history in Ulster and how we have always been unique means Ulster means more to us."
I can't speak for Munster or South Leinster people but how many of those Ulsters they won in the Noughties would Armagh have swapped for another Sam?

Seanfanbocht (Roscommon) - Posts: 1399 - 17/04/2024 13:38:07    2538598

Link

Replying To cuchulainn35:  "It's the second worst county ground . Pitch and ground are different and for the help of god - how did they ever get that award .
What other county grounds have a grass bank - for players abs spectators it's not only dated it's beyond the sell by date …
One could argue the ground has nothing to do with the team - but there appears no ambition with the ground and the team .
Armagh played meath in the league and in my opinion they were the second worst team in the league ..
We all need a strong meath - not just in meath or Leinster - thecGAA needs a strong Meath"
If you can't understand how it got the pitch of the year award then other topics must be beyond you

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 1478 - 17/04/2024 13:47:26    2538606

Link

Replying To PattyONeill:  "Southern people don't have a emotional connection to their province anyway. With our history in Ulster and how we have always been unique means Ulster means more to us."
That is absolute nonsense, I can't talk for Munster or Leinster but people from Connacht have a very strong connection with their province and in being from the west.

MachaireConnacht (Roscommon) - Posts: 771 - 17/04/2024 13:50:29    2538607

Link

Replying To MachaireConnacht:  "That is absolute nonsense, I can't talk for Munster or Leinster but people from Connacht have a very strong connection with their province and in being from the west."
That is all well and good but at some point people have to forego their own selfish interest in the interest of the greater good and promotion of our games. And this goes for both hurling and football, unless we want another hundred years of a few teams winning All-Irelands.
It serves nobody any good to have tiny crowds at matches, tradition or not.

ExiledInWex (Dublin) - Posts: 1122 - 17/04/2024 15:07:21    2538636

Link

I think you could be right.The demise of the Railway Cup illustrated that with only Ulster in the latter years of its existence putting much in to it.During the big Kerry ,Dublin thing of the 70's and 80's many of the top players didn't make themselves available and the competition gradually declined.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 1056 - 17/04/2024 15:15:18    2538641

Link

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? Whats your basis for it?

Avondhu86 (Cork) - Posts: 1 - 17/04/2024 18:47:12    2538694

Link

The Munster hurling championship is the crown jewel of the provincials, the Daddy of them all with the Ulster football championship probably coming in second.

Not too many people are going to get excited watching the Antrim, Fermanagh or Down footballers to be fair.

Past hurler (None) - Posts: 714 - 17/04/2024 23:03:14    2538742

Link

Replying To Past hurler:  "The Munster hurling championship is the crown jewel of the provincials, the Daddy of them all with the Ulster football championship probably coming in second.

Not too many people are going to get excited watching the Antrim, Fermanagh or Down footballers to be fair."
Not too many were willing to get excited watching Dublin v Meath last weekend either by the paltry attendance….

ForeverBlue2 (Cavan) - Posts: 1897 - 18/04/2024 13:20:50    2538839

Link

Replying To ForeverBlue2:  "Not too many were willing to get excited watching Dublin v Meath last weekend either by the paltry attendance…."
Probably more than the other 5 games put together.

Seanfanbocht (Roscommon) - Posts: 1399 - 18/04/2024 21:54:38    2538934

Link