National Forum

Can Gaelic Football (Handball?) Be Saved?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To omahant:  "How about a mandatory two line kick pass requirement to move the ball from own half to other half? - the defence has a choice - kick forward across both 65s OR across own 65 from behind own 45.
Also not difficult to ref.

This could be dubbed the "65-45 Rule", inspired by the relatively new and successful "50-22 Rule" in rugby union."
Heaven help us…..

ForeverBlue2 (Cavan) - Posts: 1771 - 24/02/2024 07:51:35    2527804

Link

Replying To ForeverBlue2:  "Get rid of the forward mark altogether… An attacker getting a free kick for catching a ball is ridiculous .. is this not what he is supposed to do..? The big wigs in the GAA have ruined the game with all their silly rule changes…. What nonsense will they come up with next to drive even more people away from the game..?"
Offensive mark is an abomination. Still love watching Dubs but seeing lads instinctively calling a mark now and braking (not a typo) up exciting attacks is depressing, Takes whole joy out of the game.

BarneyGrant (Dublin) - Posts: 2414 - 24/02/2024 08:32:31    2527806

Link

Replying To ecad123:  "If the advanced mark was like winning a free I think it would improve things! I.e if a high ball is kicked in and won the play can progress like the advantage rule for a couple of seconds, I believe more goals and exciting play will come from it because teams can then go for broke knowing if nothing comes of it we go back for the mark! Would this work? I seen a couple of times where a mark was won and there was a goal scoring chance going to develop but the forward chose to take the mark because it was a guaranteed point, but if the play was let develop and then go back for the mark if the chance was lost I think it will incentive going for goals with abandonment. Which can only be good for the game!"
Is this a wind up?

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7776 - 24/02/2024 09:16:15    2527810

Link

Replying To BarneyGrant:  "Offensive mark is an abomination. Still love watching Dubs but seeing lads instinctively calling a mark now and braking (not a typo) up exciting attacks is depressing, Takes whole joy out of the game."
Totally agree Barney… the 'mark' is a cop out and only takes away from forward play.. players are taking marks as a get out and it totally slows the game down…. Get rid..!

ForeverBlue2 (Cavan) - Posts: 1771 - 24/02/2024 10:10:42    2527816

Link

Replying To TheFlaker:  "Is this a wind up?"
No trying to think outside the box, just seeing if there is a way to reward good long kick passing and catching, rather than just the keep ball hand passing game!

ecad123 (Galway) - Posts: 272 - 25/02/2024 12:58:43    2527980

Link

No need for any rule changes except getting rid of the Mark. If teams kept two or three good forwards in their forward line , ie Tyrone last night in the second half, it would be a less crowded and more open game.

Saynothing (Tyrone) - Posts: 1985 - 25/02/2024 14:27:04    2527987

Link