National Forum

Alternative Hurling Championship Calendar

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Viking66:  "Sorry misread your post so. I thought you meant play the county club championships Jan til March!! I proposed playing the Provincial and AI club championships that time of year before myself."
Its makes so much sense.
Combined with 4G pitches, it takes all the pressure off counties like Wexford to finish their championships in such a tight window

ExiledInWex (Dublin) - Posts: 1073 - 01/08/2023 17:00:35    2498419

Link

Replying To ExiledInWex:  "Its makes so much sense.
Combined with 4G pitches, it takes all the pressure off counties like Wexford to finish their championships in such a tight window"
The issue is the intercounty football season is too long.

It needs to be shortened. With the current hurling league being very developmental focused there's no issue in playing it alongside club provincial and All Ireland.

The football league being linked to the championship doesn't allow that.

There's a big issue in the calendar and in player welfare with how ungainly the football season as a whole is now.

It's just not on that a team could be playing up to 19 weekends if they won their League had to play a Provincial Preliminary round and then played all 7 All Ireland rounds.

19 potential games for 1 team when we have to facilitate good quality club championships for all players in 2 codes just doesn't work and needs to be addressed.

Club championships are the bread and butter for most players a year and for us to only really be facilitating between 3 and 6 games in each for teams in these competitions is actually very wrong.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4129 - 02/08/2023 10:47:07    2498535

Link