National Forum

Wexford Club Championships

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

See the GAA task force are in favour of putting back underage to U18 - U16 and so on with a two different options. The first being that a player aged 18 wont join the adult set up until March so that it wont interfere with schools teams. The second option is a ban on 18 year old playing adult until they are finished playing minor. Of course the third option is to stay the same.

I hope that they do go back to U18 but it seems that counties can decide themselves on what way to implement. My own preference is that they dont play adult until they are finished minor as to be honest I have looked at alot of 17 to 18 year olds play adult and very few make the step up in their first season, only the exceptional ones.

I know there will be a vast amount of people against this, citing playing numbers etc but its only a matter of waiting an extra year before they are more physically able to play at a higher grade. Also holding off until 2024 gives clubs a chance to plan ahead as such.

Be interesting to see what way the county board go.

alwaysasub (Wexford) - Posts: 302 - 30/11/2022 12:01:39    2449135

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "Our own players were absolutely 100% in favour of it, so that's the way our club voted. However, my personal view remains that it's only asking for trouble."
Of course there will be uproar if it actually happens and big calls for the final to be delayed because its unfair on the people who backed it, to then live with it.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1504 - 30/11/2022 12:14:50    2449138

Link

Replying To alwaysasub:  "See the GAA task force are in favour of putting back underage to U18 - U16 and so on with a two different options. The first being that a player aged 18 wont join the adult set up until March so that it wont interfere with schools teams. The second option is a ban on 18 year old playing adult until they are finished playing minor. Of course the third option is to stay the same.

I hope that they do go back to U18 but it seems that counties can decide themselves on what way to implement. My own preference is that they dont play adult until they are finished minor as to be honest I have looked at alot of 17 to 18 year olds play adult and very few make the step up in their first season, only the exceptional ones.

I know there will be a vast amount of people against this, citing playing numbers etc but its only a matter of waiting an extra year before they are more physically able to play at a higher grade. Also holding off until 2024 gives clubs a chance to plan ahead as such.

Be interesting to see what way the county board go."
I'm 100% in agreement with you. And u20 should go back to u21. Are there really any clubs that won't be able to field an adult team at all with no u18s in it? I know we had one lad that age playing on our adult teams this year. He's a good player but if he wasn't able to play we would still have fielded teams in the football and hurling.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 6128 - 30/11/2022 13:16:06    2449146

Link

Replying To Viking66:  "I'm 100% in agreement with you. And u20 should go back to u21. Are there really any clubs that won't be able to field an adult team at all with no u18s in it? I know we had one lad that age playing on our adult teams this year. He's a good player but if he wasn't able to play we would still have fielded teams in the football and hurling."
I'm also in 100% agreement. As I've said here before, to go back to a situation where minor championships could be held up because a small number of players are also involved in adult competition - or vice versa, where adult could even be held up on account of minor fixtures - would be a massive backward step.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 1214 - 30/11/2022 13:43:36    2449152

Link

Replying To alwaysasub:  "See the GAA task force are in favour of putting back underage to U18 - U16 and so on with a two different options. The first being that a player aged 18 wont join the adult set up until March so that it wont interfere with schools teams. The second option is a ban on 18 year old playing adult until they are finished playing minor. Of course the third option is to stay the same.

The first option is absolutely ridiculous

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 460 - 30/11/2022 14:39:28    2449160

Link

What would clubs need to plan ahead for? all grades just stay same as this year like

lefty (Wexford) - Posts: 141 - 30/11/2022 15:32:38    2449167

Link

Replying To lefty:  "What would clubs need to plan ahead for? all grades just stay same as this year like"
I would imagine that the U17s are already expecting to play Adult next year with some smaller clubs expecting them to be playing with them.

Your point of course is valid but thats the reason I imagine.

alwaysasub (Wexford) - Posts: 302 - 30/11/2022 15:42:58    2449168

Link