National Forum

Wexford Intercounty Hurling 2023

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TerribleFootwork:  "Last year there was 50 in training and cut to 35-40 between the league and Walsh Cup so probably same again, Kilkenny doing something similar from what I'm hearing."
Never a nice job for a manager to cull, but Egan did give a lot of lads chances.

Anyone any info on who was let go?

Past hurler (None) - Posts: 486 - 30/01/2023 15:01:34    2455297

Link

Replying To TerribleFootwork:  "Last year there was 50 in training and cut to 35-40 between the league and Walsh Cup so probably same again, Kilkenny doing something similar from what I'm hearing."
All the panels probably following the same formula that way.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 6610 - 30/01/2023 16:15:38    2455321

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Any word on who has made the final panel? Hopefully the young lads who haven't made it take what they've learned and improve again this year"
For sure. Its all about experience and desire. Anyone who got cut has every incentive to follow any nutrition and S and C programmes they get given, and give the club championships a right good lash later in the year.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 6610 - 30/01/2023 16:17:07    2455322

Link

My understanding is the "extended panel" is not cut completely. They still have nutrition and training plans. If we hit a few bumps and injuries there's always the possibility of them being called back in.

It's great for the club championships too.

To be honest on what I've seen it wouldn't have been an easy job to whittle it down.

I'd rather have seen them get a couple of group games in the league to be honest.

For now I think carty, Lawlor and Clancy are good additions.

James Lawlor is nailed on for me.

Banville still has something to offer.

Looking back at 2019 for example, we were right there with the best when chin wasn't missing frees.

I think paudie is obviously a huge loss, and Morris will be really difficult to replace.

We have options now though.

It will be interesting to see how much the fringe lads can improve over the next two months.

I believe leinster is there for us if we get things right.

Beyond that, I'm not sure where we stand, and I don't think anyone can touch limerick.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1994 - 30/01/2023 18:17:29    2455371

Link