Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

National Forum

Westmeath Football thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To iarmhiabu:  "2 below par Semi Finals. St Loman's were far more inventive when playing with the wind than Kinnegad were, have better 2 Point shooters than Kinnegad, and ultimately that was the winning of the game. The kickout battle has become absolutely pivotal, get on top there and you go a long way towards controlling the game. St Loman's were kicking over the press and had a man waiting to run onto the ball, worked a treat for them with the wind whereas Kinnegad keeper was looking for shorts all day and St Loman's let them have it and pinned them in. It was very unlike Kinnegad who have been the best team on kickouts all Championship. Kinnegad probably had enough chances to be 16 points clear at half time, but no John Heslins out there."
I agree here with all of the above. Lomans extremely clever on the Kinnegad kickout, letting them go short then boxing them in. Will be interesting to see if they go a similar route against The Downs and how The Downs counteract that. Kinnegad ultimately don't have the same shooters Lomans have, very difficult to stop Lomans scoring, particularly when they are playing with a breeze as they have 4 or 5 comfortable 2 point kickers and also have the option of working the ball in for singles.
It should be a really good final, The Downs will be favourites but Lomans won't mind that one bit. It would be foolish to write off Lomans in a final, it should go right down to the wire but I think The Downs have shown more overall to suggest they will get over the line.
A few people clutching at straws here in relation to Kinnegad and comparing them to Moate which is crazy. Small minded to be looking at one game when they topped Section A and are still a top 3 team despite yesterday's defeat.

BadgerDog (Westmeath) - Posts: 85 - 28/09/2026 09:02:21    2695269

Link

Replying To DelaneyCup2026:  "By all accounts the issue was raised at the football review meetings around the county last week and it was openly admitted the structure isn't good enough and there was options for going forward, the favoured one appears to be a return to the previous structure or a similar structure where there could be a preliminary QF between Section A team 4 and Section B team 3 which I think is fair as it provides more incentive and jeopardy and a team finishing fourth can't have any complaints playing the ninth ranked team."
I can see the logic in bringing back a preliminary quarter-final, but personally I'm not sure the Section A 4th vs Section B 3rd option would be as competitive as it sounds.

In my opinion, the gap between Section A and Section B was massive this year, with Tubberclair probably the obvious exception. Section B was, for the most part, closer to intermediate standard, whereas Section A is effectively the senior championship.

I'd expect the 4th-placed team in Section A to beat the 3rd-placed team in Section B fairly comfortably most of the time. You only have to look at some of the teams in and around the top of the intermediate championship , I'd say Shandonagh or Milltown, for example, would have beaten most of the Section B teams this year.

So while I agree there needs to be more jeopardy and incentive, I'm not convinced putting Section A 4th against Section B 3rd is the fairest solution. You could end up with a fairly one-sided game simply because the two sections weren't really comparable in standard this year.

RamblingHen (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 28/09/2026 09:05:59    2695272

Link

Replying To RamblingHen:  "I can see the logic in bringing back a preliminary quarter-final, but personally I'm not sure the Section A 4th vs Section B 3rd option would be as competitive as it sounds.

In my opinion, the gap between Section A and Section B was massive this year, with Tubberclair probably the obvious exception. Section B was, for the most part, closer to intermediate standard, whereas Section A is effectively the senior championship.

I'd expect the 4th-placed team in Section A to beat the 3rd-placed team in Section B fairly comfortably most of the time. You only have to look at some of the teams in and around the top of the intermediate championship , I'd say Shandonagh or Milltown, for example, would have beaten most of the Section B teams this year.

So while I agree there needs to be more jeopardy and incentive, I'm not convinced putting Section A 4th against Section B 3rd is the fairest solution. You could end up with a fairly one-sided game simply because the two sections weren't really comparable in standard this year."
I can see what you're saying about the gap overall but it's maybe not a bad solution to give the group B teams a bit more incentive. This year it would have been Garrycastle v Athlone, which would have been interesting, although I would have had Garrycastle as favourites alright.

The bigger issue might be the scheduling of a preliminary QF. With football and hurling, every weekend is already taken up by championship games. It might work if you ended up with two clubs that had no dual players and you could play it on a hurling weekend. Otherwise it would be a midweek game and you could have players having to play 3 important games in a week.

anon (None) - Posts: 372 - 28/09/2026 09:19:25    2695275

Link

The Downs hammered Moate while playing in second gear, it showed the big gap between Section A and Section B, there is a reason teams are in section b, ridiculous decision to change the format last year to 3 from each section it needs to be reversed. Some poeple on here actually though Moate would put it up to The Downs. As fo C/K a lot of people on here had them winning the championship after the first round, when it got down to the business end of the championship they have been found out again, Lomans will be a tough one for The Downs but The Downs should win by 4/5 points.

dec (None) - Posts: 322 - 28/09/2026 09:20:12    2695276

Link

Replying To anon:  "I can see what you're saying about the gap overall but it's maybe not a bad solution to give the group B teams a bit more incentive. This year it would have been Garrycastle v Athlone, which would have been interesting, although I would have had Garrycastle as favourites alright.

The bigger issue might be the scheduling of a preliminary QF. With football and hurling, every weekend is already taken up by championship games. It might work if you ended up with two clubs that had no dual players and you could play it on a hurling weekend. Otherwise it would be a midweek game and you could have players having to play 3 important games in a week."
I dont think the B teams can get much more of an incentive with the current format

BadgerDog (Westmeath) - Posts: 85 - 28/09/2026 09:21:39    2695278

Link

Replying To BadgerDog:  "I dont think the B teams can get much more of an incentive with the current format"
I would think it's meant more of an incentive than the old format of 4 & 2.

I think 4 and 3 and a preliminary QF is quite a good idea. It would probably be a midweek game under lights and could actually add to the championship.

DelaneyCup2026 (Westmeath) - Posts: 68 - 28/09/2026 10:17:53    2695289

Link

Replying To iarmhiabu:  "Is this what the County Board will cling on to when they keep the same format next year? In fairness to Kinnegad, as bad as they were today, they finished the best team and should have had Moate in the Semi Final. They would have beaten Moate by the same margin. Now we have a situation where our County Players (the only County Players in the Country, the Leinster Champions) are personally raising their own funds to go towards their own team holiday. What do you think of that?"
Who should fund their holiday?

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 2819 - 28/09/2026 10:33:49    2695293

Link