National Forum

Wicklow GAA thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "People won't agree i know before i post but i really think the county should focus on getting one code mastered. For me, it should be easier to put proper structures, administration, coaching etc in relation to football. Once the county is up to scratch on the football front replicate the blueprint in relation to hurling. Currently we are mediocre in relation to football and horrendous on the hurling front. It is madness to continue doing the same things over and over especially as the current structures, methods aren't working."
In truth Wicklowsupport, in Wicklow we have made a virtue of mediocrity. There is unfortunately no nice way of describing how we have handled Gaelic games since their inception. But, don't worry, the annual bash will be on again in a few weeks. Everyone will be dolled up in their finery. A slap up meal probably. Lots of back slapping and self congratulatory speeches. Another leading light in failure and mediocrity will be inducted into the Hall of Fame ? Wow, people who have spent years of their lives misguidedly slaving away to the false god of failure and disappointment. But shur a great night will be had by all. This is in no way to diminish the various awards that will be handed out to the various players of the year etc. they are 100% entitled to their moment of glory. God knows they won't have too many of those in their playing careers, particularly inter county ones. For them, they could never get enough exposure and congratulations, but please, please spare us this other stuff.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 410 - 27/11/2021 15:37:14    2390963

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "In truth Wicklowsupport, in Wicklow we have made a virtue of mediocrity. There is unfortunately no nice way of describing how we have handled Gaelic games since their inception. But, don't worry, the annual bash will be on again in a few weeks. Everyone will be dolled up in their finery. A slap up meal probably. Lots of back slapping and self congratulatory speeches. Another leading light in failure and mediocrity will be inducted into the Hall of Fame ? Wow, people who have spent years of their lives misguidedly slaving away to the false god of failure and disappointment. But shur a great night will be had by all. This is in no way to diminish the various awards that will be handed out to the various players of the year etc. they are 100% entitled to their moment of glory. God knows they won't have too many of those in their playing careers, particularly inter county ones. For them, they could never get enough exposure and congratulations, but please, please spare us this other stuff."
I don't disagree with you and i don't begrudge any player that wins an award but i find it hard to believe the mentality whereby mediocrity is acceptable. Surely players and clubs want to compete and win at a high level!!! It is the clubs who are sending representatives to the county convention; do clubs not want change at the top table? I can't help but feel that with the exception of a minority in the county that overall the majority are satisfied with the mediocity the exists currently and has existed forever. We have had some embarassing county and club results in hurling and football with no reaction nor outrage - is their no pride in the county?

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1432 - 27/11/2021 19:36:33    2390990

Link

Do we feel Blessington have any chance this weekend against the Kildare champions?

Interesting side note that a lot of Blessington lads went to school in Naas. Turns a Leinster championship game into a local derby.

wondershorts (Wicklow) - Posts: 287 - 30/11/2021 09:07:24    2391166

Link