Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

National Forum

Galway Football thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Sportsfanatic90:  "Any one see any intermediate games?
Watched caherlistrane just about get over the line against glen, felt glen played their best football in that game.
You would think the winners of oran or caher will see it out, 2 teams with huge recent underage success and higher league standings.
De paor and ronaldson will take minding"
Having been at the Oranmore - St Brendan's game I would say the best 3 attacking players on show were Ronaldson and Ryan O'Donnell for Oranmore as well as Paddy Downey from St. Brendan's. Downey's performances throughout the Championship have been top class.
De Paor didn't offer a huge amount from open play to be honest.
Oranmore were impressive enough and I envisage a tight game with Caherlistrane in the semi-final.

From a Galway perspective I would hope Fitzmaurice and his backroom team would try to get the likes of Downey and O'Donnell in. I know both are very good hurlers also but they might commit to the exciting new football management. They are young and could really offer something to the setup.
O'Donnell was excellent for the u-20s 2 years ago and he was juggling playing for u-20 hurlers too at the time. He is so direct and has an eye for goal.

Not.A.Quelly (Galway) - Posts: 101 - 01/10/2026 09:28:50    2695766

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Galway have lost two All Ireland finals narrowly in the last five years. Has the ship not sailed for this group of Galway footballers."
It has sailed I believe, because, 2026 was the the year many counties really took to the new rules, 2025 having been a big learning for everyone. Those who did best, and those who are likely to do even better going forward, are teams with loads of youth and pace. While, as you rightly point out, Galway have been close in 2 finals, both were under the Old Rules. Wholesale changes may not be required or possible, but some changes are necessary. The new rules should have suited Galway's traditional brand of football better than most counties, but it seemed not to, and the QF stage exits are proof of that. The lack of a consistent clean kickout ball winner and long range free taker are the other areas that I am sure EF will be looking at. I think he is the best possible appointment and wish and his assistants the very best.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1342 - 01/10/2026 09:59:21    2695770

Link

Replying To WonTon5:  "Who should Eamon Fitz and his mgt team be looking at from the intermediate and junior clubs?"
A handful of intermediate players have been in and around galway panel over years O Laoi O conghaile Spiddal O Curaoin MB Niall Daly Kilconly. I cant rememebr last time a junior player was on galway team/panel and no one springs to mind to be honest. I do hope Fitzmaurice looks at everyone and his selectors will be hugely important presumin there will have to be a few Galway representatives. I hope he is at semio finals & finals of club champo.

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 518 - 01/10/2026 12:01:13    2695789

Link

Replying To WonTon5:  "Who should Eamon Fitz and his mgt team be looking at from the intermediate and junior clubs?"
Looking at the stronger teams in intermediate level:
Oranmore - possibly a few lads that had u20 experience, havent seen much so cant comment
Caherlistrane - Richard McGrath an u20 but long way off senior at the minute
Spiddal - FO'L and LO'C the only ones at IC level at the minute. If Farthing keeps playing, who knows. Impressive in his first two games to be fair, but the step up is huge.
Menlough, Michaels, Brendans - Nobody at IC standard


Nobody in junior level is close at the minute. Headford look the best but no stand out player, just a well balanced team at that level.

In the senior championship:
Annaghdown - Olan Kelly is very impressive. Diarmuid Kilcommins looks to have really kicked on too, even though he's been around panels in the past.
Moycullen - Sean O'Connor looks a quality player. Fionn (already in with Galway) looks incredible when he plays with Moycullen. If Galway could utilise his skills he could be a real asset. That left peg on the loop could be a weapon.
Corofin - Ross Coen is quality
St James' - Always talk about Sam O'Neill. Very unlucky with injuries but he would definitely be an option if available.

GalwaysFinest (Galway) - Posts: 231 - 01/10/2026 12:16:53    2695793

Link

How long has Jack O C left in Kerry? I think it's one year and if that job came available I would expect Fitzy to jump at it.

That's my only concern about this appointment from a Galway perspective. How committed will he really be to the long term development of the team when to me it is inevitable that he will have one eye on the Kerry job.

I appreciate that Galway are at a different level to Kildare but I know that's how many in Kildare felt about Jack O C - he was only there to take his expenses and keep his toe in inter county management until the real job became available.

Cbar (Mayo) - Posts: 390 - 01/10/2026 13:46:10    2695806

Link