The late Paddy Conaty Snr. was one of the county's leading public representatives for over 40 years, up until his retirement from public affairs in 1991. During the course of his illustrious political career, Councillor Conaty was the veritable voice of Cavan town and was a driving force in putting the area on the map. Highly respected in the top echelons of the Fianna Fail party at national level, he served both Cavan County Council and Cavan Urban Council for over four decades and was also a member of the North Eastern Health Board for 15 years. Paddy always put his community first and had a great love of the GAA, forging a particularly strong association with the local Cavan Gaels club, which he helped conceive. He played a key role in promoting gaelic games throughout his life, not least through his playing days with Cavan Harps and Crubany. Paddy also represented his beloved county at minor level and was honorary president of Cavan Gaels GFC at the time of his death. He was instrumental in the formation of the Gaels in 1957, when his diplomatic skills helped bring old adversaries Cavan Harps and Slashers together. Paddy also helped secure the former Cavan Showgrounds as the club's home, now called Terry Coyle Park. He served the club as chairman between 1959 and '67 and it was during this time (in 1965) that the Gaels annexed their first county SFC. When the club celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2007, Paddy was on the podium as both the MFC and SFC titles were garnered. He also attended the launch of the club's anniversary book. Current Cavan Gaels players and officials provided a Guard of Honour at the removal to Killygarry Cemetary.