National Forum

Mayo's Brady calls for Black Ball!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276566

"You have a black card, there has to be a black ball. In basketball if you suffer a technical foul then you have an opportunity of a free throw. In football, do you give someone a 35-yard kick straight in front of the goal.

"If there's been an intentional, technical foul, systematic foul in the last two or three minutes? Or if you are ahead by one point and you make a technical foul does the guy on the sideline add another 30 seconds. What they're trying to do is play down the clock.

"A suspension two weeks later won't hurt you so you have to open up the opportunity of saying, 'If you do that, someone gets an opportunity to hurt you on the scoreboard."

I agree and it's something I have called for. Cynical fouls anywhere on the park should be punishable by awarding a scoreable free. Cynical fouls denying a clear goal scoring opportunity though outside the large square should be punishable by award of a penalty.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7821 - 06/10/2017 20:54:34    2053663

Link

Yeah, Gaelic football has long been going down the basketball route so why not keep the trend going.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1902 - 07/10/2017 01:20:14    2053689

Link

It would probably work better than the black card.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1873 - 07/10/2017 08:48:40    2053695

Link

I think it's a good idea,I think it has to happen looking at the way the All Ireland final finished, it will clean up the game.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2739 - 07/10/2017 09:37:04    2053699

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "Yeah, Gaelic football has long been going down the basketball route so why not keep the trend going."
Basketball just happens to be more advanced than other sports when it comes to penalising technical fouls. Rugby has had a penalty try for years. Soccer are even considering awarding a penalty goal if an outfield player prevents a goal with his hands.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 7821 - 07/10/2017 11:21:14    2053706

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "I think it's a good idea,I think it has to happen looking at the way the All Ireland final finished, it will clean up the game."
What way did it finish ?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 07/10/2017 11:32:19    2053709

Link

Replying To legendzxix:  "Basketball just happens to be more advanced than other sports when it comes to penalising technical fouls. Rugby has had a penalty try for years. Soccer are even considering awarding a penalty goal if an outfield player prevents a goal with his hands."
In the basketball you are supposed to foul, you have x # of fouls to use before you are in the penalty situation. It's professional fouling. The GAA use the black card to deal with it but it is pure chaos. Example, AOS was not black carded after he lost the throw in for second half last month. Basketball applies the rules a bit better.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1667 - 07/10/2017 12:58:09    2053715

Link

Replying To legendzxix:  "Basketball just happens to be more advanced than other sports when it comes to penalising technical fouls. Rugby has had a penalty try for years. Soccer are even considering awarding a penalty goal if an outfield player prevents a goal with his hands."
Basketball also gives free throws to a team if their opponents reaches a quota of team fouls. Also worth looking at for football.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 07/10/2017 12:58:26    2053716

Link

Replying To legendzxix:  "http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276566

"You have a black card, there has to be a black ball. In basketball if you suffer a technical foul then you have an opportunity of a free throw. In football, do you give someone a 35-yard kick straight in front of the goal.

"If there's been an intentional, technical foul, systematic foul in the last two or three minutes? Or if you are ahead by one point and you make a technical foul does the guy on the sideline add another 30 seconds. What they're trying to do is play down the clock.

"A suspension two weeks later won't hurt you so you have to open up the opportunity of saying, 'If you do that, someone gets an opportunity to hurt you on the scoreboard."

I agree and it's something I have called for. Cynical fouls anywhere on the park should be punishable by awarding a scoreable free. Cynical fouls denying a clear goal scoring opportunity though outside the large square should be punishable by award of a penalty."
the only problem with that is 'cynical'. Who gets to decide what is cynical and what isn't. Is it to apply to any foul conceded in the last 5 minutes of a game, or only what the referee deems as cynical. One of the biggest gripes with the black card at the moment is about the lack of consistency in application of the rule, what one person is seeing as a black card offence someone else sees as a yellow, or perhaps no card at all. If there is such confusion among referees with applying the rules at the minute, do you not think that their interpretation of 'cynical' will suffer from the same confusion.
To have a situation where an all Ireland final might be decided by giving a free against a corner forward trying to tackle a defender carrying the ball out of defence, but placing that free on the D at the other end of the field, seems too harsh a penalty to pay.
I know people are going to point to the fouling in the last few minutes of this years final, but sweeping rule changes smack of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Put it this way, most Kerry people still reckon there was no foul that lead to Cluxtons free in 2011. Now imagine if that foul had taken place on Dublins own 20 metre line, but the free was given on the edge of the D, there would be uproar.
I appreciate the problem exists, and something needs to be done about it, but I think something like the sin bin would be much more effective and easier to apply and manage, than to expect a referee to make what would realistically be a match changing call on a split second viewing of an incident.

AHP (Dublin) - Posts: 323 - 07/10/2017 13:11:08    2053721

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "What way did it finish ?"
With the Dubs one point ahead!!- where have you been?

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 07/10/2017 13:15:51    2053723

Link

I agree and it's something I have called for. Cynical fouls anywhere on the park should be punishable by awarding a scoreable free. Cynical fouls denying a clear goal scoring opportunity though outside the large square should be punishable by award of a penalty."
They should trial it in Ulster in 2018.

Vishred (Mayo) - Posts: 303 - 07/10/2017 14:00:07    2053730

Link

Replying To AHP:  "

the only problem with that is 'cynical'. Who gets to decide what is cynical and what isn't. Is it to apply to any foul conceded in the last 5 minutes of a game, or only what the referee deems as cynical. One of the biggest gripes with the black card at the moment is about the lack of consistency in application of the rule, what one person is seeing as a black card offence someone else sees as a yellow, or perhaps no card at all. If there is such confusion among referees with applying the rules at the minute, do you not think that their interpretation of 'cynical' will suffer from the same confusion.
To have a situation where an all Ireland final might be decided by giving a free against a corner forward trying to tackle a defender carrying the ball out of defence, but placing that free on the D at the other end of the field, seems too harsh a penalty to pay.
I know people are going to point to the fouling in the last few minutes of this years final, but sweeping rule changes smack of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Put it this way, most Kerry people still reckon there was no foul that lead to Cluxtons free in 2011. Now imagine if that foul had taken place on Dublins own 20 metre line, but the free was given on the edge of the D, there would be uproar.
I appreciate the problem exists, and something needs to be done about it, but I think something like the sin bin would be much more effective and easier to apply and manage, than to expect a referee to make what would realistically be a match changing call on a split second viewing of an incident."
The sinbin isn't as much of a deterrent to a player taking one for the team with a one point lead in injury time compared to a conceding a 14 yard free in front of the posts. In fairness it all boils down to the refs who have a very tough job. It's down to them to decide if an infringement is a red, yellow, black or proposed sinbin, easy free to the opposition. Refereeing standards look to be inconsistent between different referees. I think the yellow and red cards applied consistently are enough. The black card, allowing a sub come in for the offender, is more help than hindrance in some cases. Bringing in new cards or deterrents is a bit of a smokescreen for referees because if they don't apply old rules well they'll hardly apply new ones well either. No referee sets out to give one team an advantage in a game they referee. The level of abuse they get is unreal, it must be a vocation. Because it 's easier for teams and supporters to blame the referee than improve on mistakes that were made.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 07/10/2017 14:25:15    2053737

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "What way did it finish ?"
Close call, Dublin ahead..... by 16 million Euros.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9697 - 07/10/2017 15:47:58    2053742

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "Close call, Dublin ahead..... by 16 million Euros."
Says Celtic's number 1 supporter ha you couldn't make it up.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 07/10/2017 16:23:56    2053748

Link

A second referee is also a simple idea, one in each half of the field..

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 600 - 07/10/2017 20:25:49    2053783

Link

Aye tommy.a second ref to go with the other ref,two linesmen and 4 umpires..that's 8 in all..why not go the full hog and go for 4 refs to go with the 4 umpires....??

kavvie (Clare) - Posts: 505 - 07/10/2017 22:32:35    2053797

Link

Replying To kavvie:  "Aye tommy.a second ref to go with the other ref,two linesmen and 4 umpires..that's 8 in all..why not go the full hog and go for 4 refs to go with the 4 umpires....??"
Aye Kavvie, more refs the better, linesmen and umpires dont make enough calls in games even though they do see alot..linesmen are following the ball, so a ref that is in charge of a half of the field would see and punish pathetic off the ball stuff

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 600 - 08/10/2017 10:04:08    2053829

Link

Replying To tommy132:  "Aye Kavvie, more refs the better, linesmen and umpires dont make enough calls in games even though they do see alot..linesmen are following the ball, so a ref that is in charge of a half of the field would see and punish pathetic off the ball stuff"
Would that only be for intercounty games or do you really think think there are enough refs forit to happen at club level as well?

Show me one sport where there is a rule that is subjective and decided by the referees opinion that is any better? How many times have the issue of tackling a player in the air in rugby caused havoc and many different views despite video refs.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1799 - 08/10/2017 14:14:38    2053856

Link

Replying To tommy132:  "Aye Kavvie, more refs the better, linesmen and umpires dont make enough calls in games even though they do see alot..linesmen are following the ball, so a ref that is in charge of a half of the field would see and punish pathetic off the ball stuff"
How long do you think coc would last on the field with extra ref?

billythekid69 (USA) - Posts: 35 - 08/10/2017 15:14:28    2053862

Link

Replying To billythekid69:  "How long do you think coc would last on the field with extra ref?"
Ha! Spot on.

Gavvygavgav (Dublin) - Posts: 382 - 11/10/2017 22:09:49    2054787

Link