National Forum

NFL Division 1

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Furlong1949:  "Joyce is one the greatest forwards of all time. His performance in the 01 is one of the greatest performance by a forward in an All Ireland ever. You will find Meath supporters have great respect and great admiration for Padraig Joyce. Galway deserved to win the final that day, they were much better team and were well deserving All Ireland winners. A great team, the greatest team to come west of the shannon in last 50 years. Michael.Donnellan is one the most exciting talented footballers of last 50 years. But my favourite was Ja Fallon. He made that Galway team. tick, another great player.

I am trying to be fair to Galway, but I dont think people are being fair to Fay. Joyce destroyed one best corner backs in the country at time Mark Reilly. But if we use the above factual evidence.l you posted. It says this.

1 Joyce did not score 10 points on Fay. Joyce scores 5 points on Fay.
2 Joyce did not score double digits on Fay. As everyone always says. This is not reality. That did not happen.
3 Joyce scored 5 points from play. Only 2 of them while marked by Fay.
4 Fay kept Joyce scoreless from play in the first half. 6 points apiece at half time. In Fays words " Everything was grand" in the first half. Keeping one of the greatest forwards scoreless in the first half is not bad.
5 In the first 6 or 7 mins of the second half . Joyce scored 2 points from play.

This is significant Why?
Because incredibly for the first time in his career after 27 games a forward had scored more then one point from play marked by Fay.

This is signifucant why?
It shows the greatness of Joyce , he was the first forward after 27 championship matchs after 6 years to score more then one point of Fay.

This is signifcant why?
Most defenders would keeping one of thw greatest forwards of all time scoreless in the first half and letting that forward score 2 points play in a whole match a good performance. Nearly all defenders marking one of the greatest forwards of time and keeping them to 2 point from play in one game would be seen aa doing a great job marking that player.

This is significant why?
Because Fay did not mark Joyce for the next 20 mins. When Joyce ran riot Reilly was marking him. This is the reality of what happened. When Joyce scored 10 point, 5 of them were on Reilly.

This is Significant why?
Because it means Joyce did niot score 10 points neing marked by Fay.
Because Joyce scoree 5 points in total marked by Fay.
Because Joyce scored 2 points from play marked by Fay in the whole game.

This is signifcanf why?

Because it means when everyone say Joyce scored 10 point marked by Fay, 5 from play. This is untrue.
The truth, the reality was Joyce acored 2 points from play and 3 frees marked by Fay. When people say Joyce scored 10 points on Fay. This is not true. It uncorrect. Its misleading. Its a blatant untruth. A brexiteer of Tump supporter belives in falsehoods and untruth. I like to deal with factual evidence.

This is significant why?

Because for the first time in his career and 6 years and 27 championship matchs in a row a players scores a second point from play on Fay. Fay is unerved. Because for the first time after 27 games 2 All Ireland wins marking all time great players like Peter Cavanan, Maurice Fitzgerald and Fay was marking a forward who scored more then 1 point from play against. For brillant defender this wouldnt be an issue. But for a truly great defender
this was below his exceptional standards.

I have seen players in the modern era play in All Ireland finals and semis final and there opposing players scored 1 - 2 or 1 - 3 from play and the defender was said to have a good game. Kieth Higgins marked James O Donoghue in 2014 semi final. Higgins was praised for having a good game. He did. But he marked Donighur and Donoghue scored 2 - 6. Donoghue scored 4 points from play on Higgins.

Many many times in modern game I have seen defenders let their forward score 2 points from play in a whole game and they are seen as doing a good job.

Keeping one of the greatest forwards of all time Padraig Joyce to 2 points from play and 5 points in total in a whole game would be seen as good job by any brillant defender. But only a truly great defender like Fay would see marking one of greatest players of all.time and letting him score 2 points from play and 3 from.frees as a dreadful performance.

In Summary

Joyce is one of the greatest forward of all. time. His performance in 01 final is one greatest of all time.

But the TRUTH is
1 Joyce did not score 10 points being marked by Fay. For most of the second half Reilly was marking Joyce when he ran riot.
2 Joyce scored 5 points on Fay not 10 points.
3 Joyce scored 2 points from play on Fay not 5 points.
4 Fay kept Joyce scoreless in the first half, Joyce scored 2 points v Fay early in the second half and Reilly took for next 20 mins in second half.
5 I am just trying to set the facts right. People for 18 years have said Padraig Joyce scored 10 points being marked by Darren Fay.

Will ant Galway supporter admit the truth, that Joyce did not score then points marked by Joyce that Joyce scored 2 points ftom play marked by Fay.
Will any Galway supporter afmit the truth that Reilly marked Joyce when he ran riot in the second half.

It takes nothing away from Joyce greatness admitting the truth. The actual truth makes him more great. In that it was not til Fay marked Joyce in Fays 27th game in a row Joyce was the first and only forward to score more then 1 point from play v Fay. It actually how great Joyce was.
B
But all.I stating is the reality that Joyce did not score 10 points v Fay. Fay kept Joyce to 2 points from play in the whole game. Fay did not mark Joyce for 80% of the second half . When Joyce ran riot it was v Reilly.

It takes nothing away from Joyce . It actually makes him look a greater player when you accept the truth. Fay from 1996 to 2007 was the best full back in Ireland. Fay game after game in his first 6 years kept every to not more then 1 point from play
..In his career two players caused him.problems. Think of that 11 years a defender and only 2 forwards really caused him problems. In 2008 his legs were gone and in the qualifiers he struggled v limerick forward. But his legs were gone after 11 of being best full back in Ireland.

2 Players caused problems for Fay in those 11 years. 1996 to 2007.
They were Galway Joyce in 01 and Galways Meehan in 07.
Did they score 2 or 3 goals, did they score 4 or 5 points from play. Yes they caused him problems but they only scored 2 points from play v Fay.

In 01 Fay kept Joyce in championship scoreless in the first half.
In 07 Fay kept Meehan in championship scoreless in the first half.
In 01 Joyce scored 2 points from play marked by Fay in the second half
In 07 Meehan scored 2 points from play by Fay in the second half.

Fay was very upset with these two performances. He took himself of Joyce after he scored 2 points from play. And aftet letting Meehan scored 2 points from play Fay couldnt leave the house.

Imagine been a full back for 11 years and your worst games were when the in two different games 6 years apart. These Two different players scored 2 points from play against and this was a disaster. 11 years an inter county defender footballer and you worst performance our when two players you were marking scored 2 points from play. Is that not extraordinary..Thats why many consider Fay to one of the great full backs.

In 2001 one of the great full backs played one of the great forwards. That full back kept that forward scoreless in the first half. In the first 6 or 7 minutes that forward scored 2 from play. That defender for first time in 27 games had let a forward score more then 1 point fron play he was marking. He was unerved and asked his corner back to mark the forward. The corner back was roasted and 3 points from play and frees were scored v that corner back..For most of he second half when the forward ran riot the full back was not marking him. The forward scored 2 points play on thw full back in totql But afterwards everyone said he scored 5 from play from play and ten in total. This is was unfair and not the truth.

I understand Galway supporters think I am putting down Joyce performane. Im not . It was one of the greatest performance ever in a final. I am.just stating the truth and being fair to Fay.

Will any Galway supporter state the truth and be fair to Fay and agree with below
1 Fay did kept Joyce scoreless from play in the first half. And only marked for 7 or 8 mins of the first mins. Next 20 mins was on Reilly and this is when Joyce ran riot. and Fay took Joyce at the end of the game.
1 Joyce scored 2 points from play on Fay.
2 Joyce did not score 10 points on Fay.
3 And for most of the second half Joyce was being marked by Reilly.
4 When Joyce ran riot scoring 3 points from play ans frees in 20 mins it was v Reilly not Fay.

Thats what happened. I not going to change my mind and cannot change what happenned. It takes nothing away from the greatness of Joyce. He was the first player in 27 championship games and 6 yeaes to score more then 1 point marked by Fay. Joyce was one of the only two forwards to really trouble Fay in 11 years. Both scored 2 points from play v Fay. It actually shows what a great player Joyce. I have no more to say on the matter. I am not going to changing my mind because I cannot change what happened in the past. It happened. It would be just fair really if supporters would recognise Joyce didnt score 10 points on Fay , it was actaully 5 points on Fay and Joyce scored 2 points from play on Fay anf it was on Mark Reilly that Joyce ran riot."
Suppose it's easy to keep a record like that if each time you feel under pressure marking a guy you panic, and throw your corner back under the bus!

cuttothebone (Kildare) - Posts: 113 - 16/02/2020 23:47:16    2268055

Link

Replying To Furlong1949:  "Joyce is one the greatest forwards of all time. His performance in the 01 is one of the greatest performance by a forward in an All Ireland ever. You will find Meath supporters have great respect and great admiration for Padraig Joyce. Galway deserved to win the final that day, they were much better team and were well deserving All Ireland winners. A great team, the greatest team to come west of the shannon in last 50 years. Michael.Donnellan is one the most exciting talented footballers of last 50 years. But my favourite was Ja Fallon. He made that Galway team. tick, another great player.

I am trying to be fair to Galway, but I dont think people are being fair to Fay. Joyce destroyed one best corner backs in the country at time Mark Reilly. But if we use the above factual evidence.l you posted. It says this.

2 Joyce did not score double digits on Fay. As everyone always says. This is not reality. That did not happen.
4 Fay kept Joyce scoreless from play in the first half. 6 points apiece at half time. In Fays words " Everything was grand" in the first half. Keeping one of the greatest forwards scoreless in the first half is not bad.
5 In the first 6 or 7 mins of the second half . Joyce scored 2 points from play.

This is significant Why?
Because incredibly for the first time in his career after 27 games a forward had scored more then one point from play marked by Fay.

This is signifucant why?
It shows the greatness of Joyce , he was the first forward after 27 championship matchs after 6 years to score more then one point of Fay.

This is signifcant why?
Most defenders would keeping one of thw greatest forwards of all time scoreless in the first half and letting that forward score 2 points play in a whole match a good performance. Nearly all defenders marking one of the greatest forwards of time and keeping them to 2 point from play in one game would be seen aa doing a great job marking that player.

This is significant why?
Because Fay did not mark Joyce for the next 20 mins. When Joyce ran riot Reilly was marking him. This is the reality of what happened. When Joyce scored 10 point, 5 of them were on Reilly.

This is Significant why?

This is signifcanf why?

Because it means when everyone say Joyce scored 10 point marked by Fay, 5 from play. This is untrue.
The truth, the reality was Joyce acored 2 points from play and 3 frees marked by Fay. When people say Joyce scored 10 points on Fay. This is not true. It uncorrect. Its misleading. Its a blatant untruth. A brexiteer of Tump supporter belives in falsehoods and untruth. I like to deal with factual evidence.

This is significant why?

Because for the first time in his career and 6 years and 27 championship matchs in a row a players scores a second point from play on Fay. Fay is unerved. Because for the first time after 27 games 2 All Ireland wins marking all time great players like Peter Cavanan, Maurice Fitzgerald and Fay was marking a forward who scored more then 1 point from play against. For brillant defender this wouldnt be an issue. But for a truly great defender

I have seen players in the modern era play in All Ireland finals and semis final and there opposing players scored 1 - 2 or 1 - 3 from play and the defender was said to have a good game. Kieth Higgins marked James O Donoghue in 2014 semi final. Higgins was praised for having a good game. He did. But he marked Donighur and Donoghue scored 2 - 6. Donoghue scored 4 points from play on Higgins.

Many many times in modern game I have seen defenders let their forward score 2 points from play in a whole game and they are seen as doing a good job.

Keeping one of the greatest forwards of all time Padraig Joyce to 2 points from play and 5 points in total in a whole game would be seen as good job by any brillant defender. But only a truly great defender like Fay would see marking one of greatest players of all.time and letting him score 2 points from play and 3 from.frees as a dreadful performance.

In Summary

Joyce is one of the greatest forward of all. time. His performance in 01 final is one greatest of all time.

But the TRUTH is
1 Joyce did not score 10 points being marked by Fay. For most of the second half Reilly was marking Joyce when he ran riot.
4 Fay kept Joyce scoreless in the first half, Joyce scored 2 points v Fay early in the second half and Reilly took for next 20 mins in second half.
5 I am just trying to set the facts right. People for 18 years have said Padraig Joyce scored 10 points being marked by Darren Fay.

Will ant Galway supporter admit the truth, that Joyce did not score then points marked by Joyce that Joyce scored 2 points ftom play marked by Fay.
Will any Galway supporter afmit the truth that Reilly marked Joyce when he ran riot in the second half.

It takes nothing away from Joyce greatness admitting the truth. The actual truth makes him more great. In that it was not til Fay marked Joyce in Fays 27th game in a row Joyce was the first and only forward to score more then 1 point from play v Fay. It actually how great Joyce was.
B
But all.I stating is the reality that Joyce did not score 10 points v Fay. Fay kept Joyce to 2 points from play in the whole game. Fay did not mark Joyce for 80% of the second half . When Joyce ran riot it was v Reilly.

It takes nothing away from Joyce . It actually makes him look a greater player when you accept the truth. Fay from 1996 to 2007 was the best full back in Ireland. Fay game after game in his first 6 years kept every to not more then 1 point from play
..In his career two players caused him.problems. Think of that 11 years a defender and only 2 forwards really caused him problems. In 2008 his legs were gone and in the qualifiers he struggled v limerick forward. But his legs were gone after 11 of being best full back in Ireland.

Did they score 2 or 3 goals, did they score 4 or 5 points from play. Yes they caused him problems but they only scored 2 points from play v Fay.

Fay was very upset with these two performances. He took himself of Joyce after he scored 2 points from play. And aftet letting Meehan scored 2 points from play Fay couldnt leave the house.

Imagine been a full back for 11 years and your worst games were when the in two different games 6 years apart. These Two different players scored 2 points from play against and this was a disaster. 11 years an inter county defender footballer and you worst performance our when two players you were marking scored 2 points from play. Is that not extraordinary..Thats why many consider Fay to one of the great full backs.

In 2001 one of the great full backs played one of the great forwards. That full back kept that forward scoreless in the first half. In the first 6 or 7 minutes that forward scored 2 from play. That defender for first time in 27 games had let a forward score more then 1 point fron play he was marking. He was unerved and asked his corner back to mark the forward. The corner back was roasted and 3 points from play and frees were scored v that corner back..For most of he second half when the forward ran riot the full back was not marking him. The forward scored 2 points play on thw full back in totql But afterwards everyone said he scored 5 from play from play and ten in total. This is was unfair and not the truth.

I understand Galway supporters think I am putting down Joyce performane. Im not . It was one of the greatest performance ever in a final. I am.just stating the truth and being fair to Fay.

Will any Galway supporter state the truth and be fair to Fay and agree with below
1 Fay did kept Joyce scoreless from play in the first half. And only marked for 7 or 8 mins of the first mins. Next 20 mins was on Reilly and this is when Joyce ran riot. and Fay took Joyce at the end of the game.
4 When Joyce ran riot scoring 3 points from play ans frees in 20 mins it was v Reilly not Fay.

Thats what happened. I not going to change my mind and cannot change what happenned. It takes nothing away from the greatness of Joyce. He was the first player in 27 championship games and 6 yeaes to score more then 1 point marked by Fay. Joyce was one of the only two forwards to really trouble Fay in 11 years. Both scored 2 points from play v Fay. It actually shows what a great player Joyce. I have no more to say on the matter. I am not going to changing my mind because I cannot change what happened in the past. It happened. It would be just fair really if supporters would recognise Joyce didnt score 10 points on Fay , it was actaully 5 points on Fay and Joyce scored 2 points from play on Fay anf it was on Mark Reilly that Joyce ran riot."
So spit it out. Did Joyce score 10 points off Darren Fay or not?

tribescity (Galway) - Posts: 252 - 17/02/2020 00:07:20    2268056

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "I often wonder about the "from play" stat, must be the most irrelevant stat in the game or made by those reaching and working hard to make a point.

Its not like its chalked off the score board or influences a game, free takers and set piece takers are some of the most skillful and revered in in our game, yet their often seems like a purposeful will to dumb down their contribution to the scoreline. They are players that need to be cultivated with huge respect and our probably some of the most unique in the game.

Its like saying yeah Johnny Sexton is good but he get very little from play."
I completely disagree! All I ever hear about free takers (club and county) is typically "he scored 10 points automatic man of the match." Though 8 were from frees and the free taker gets the plaudits from the public... particularly the public that haven't seen the match. Therefore it is very important to highlight the amount of scores that were accumulated from free kicks.
Nobody ever asks "who won the frees?". And "from frees" doesnt make the score insignificant, it just helps readers understand that the player may not be the messi/ronaldo of gaa and give a fairer reflection of what players are scoring.
it is a specialist area of the game and requires good skill, but at the end of the day it's a team game with many skills and positions. Credit and critisism should be taken across the board... lots of these frees are tap overs too which you or me could deal with

Lasvegas (Galway) - Posts: 16 - 17/02/2020 02:46:00    2268061

Link

This is significant Why?

This is signifucant why?

This is signifcant why?

This is significant why?

This is Significant why?

This is signifcanf why?

This is significant why?

In Summary

But the TRUTH is

B

so what are you trying to say? :)

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 374 - 17/02/2020 08:08:59    2268065

Link