National Forum

Eoin Murphy's Tackle - Wexford V Kilkenny

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Liam Ryan turned to give a fair shoulder, if Mullen didn't get the memo he will learn fast!

I agree O'Hanlon was a bad tackle but a red card? Come off it. It almost cost us the match and our place in the championship.

If a full-back came out like a goalkeeper does, (I am not referring to Murphy any more as I think it is something keepers get away with) and collided with a player like that, there would be hell to pay.

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 427 - 20/06/2019 16:09:08    2198028

Link

Replying To StoreysTash:  "Liam Ryan turned to give a fair shoulder, if Mullen didn't get the memo he will learn fast!

I agree O'Hanlon was a bad tackle but a red card? Come off it. It almost cost us the match and our place in the championship.

If a full-back came out like a goalkeeper does, (I am not referring to Murphy any more as I think it is something keepers get away with) and collided with a player like that, there would be hell to pay."
I don't see why the tackle potentially costing Wexford the match should come into an assessment of the tackle itself. In my opinion, ignoring O'Hanlon's antics through out the game and taking the 'tackle' in isolation, while it was a cheap shot I think a yellow was enough

I did think Liam Ryan could easily have been blown for charging, but I'm glad he wasn't and I'd hate to see that as it would be further evidence of the sanitisation of the game.

Heftydickonem (Kilkenny) - Posts: 103 - 20/06/2019 17:32:50    2198057

Link

Replying To StoreysTash:  "Its often simply too easy to just blame the ref.
Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1964 - 20/06/2019 09:41:40 2197836

Nail on head."
It's also a cop out to say that officials including the referee have no bearing on games. If they didn't you wouldn't have the likes of Davy and Cody and others berating them publicly and trying to influence them. In a tight game calls or no-calls by the referee or umpires are crucial. The last day in Parnell Pk a Galway forward was pole axed in the square by the Dublin keeper and the ref ignored it. It was an obvious penalty. The Dublin penalty was correctly awarded but the foul on the Galway forward was more dangerous but no penalty given. I'm not complaining about Dublin's win, they may have won anyway but these decisions do have a bearing on the game and on the mentality of the players during the match.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 657 - 20/06/2019 19:07:38    2198090

Link

Nicky English is a terrible commentator. So boring to listen to. I enjoy sky's coverage but the match commentators need a massive improvement for both football and hurling.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2612 - 20/06/2019 20:05:52    2198107

Link

The level of fouling in hurling that is let go is steadily rising .. I watched this match and inmediatey said to young lad .. penalty and red card for keeper .. was stunned at the commentators .. but hell im not from Fiji in from Fermanagh and sure what would I know ;-)

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 161 - 20/06/2019 21:42:07    2198133

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "Nicky English is a terrible commentator. So boring to listen to. I enjoy sky's coverage but the match commentators need a massive improvement for both football and hurling."
fully agree.imagine the excitement of somebody like tommy walsh on co commentator.i also agree with our kk friend above that o hanlon was a cheap shot but a yellow was fair enough punishment

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3342 - 21/06/2019 15:07:10    2198318

Link