Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hopballref:  "Mayo were definitely good enough to win one.
Changing goalkeepers, missed COC free, Lee Keegan kicking into goalie hands, Vaughan sending off, own goal …. the list goes on.
Yes, we were disappointed not to win 00 but two out of three ain't bad."
I think the Vaughan one, well, let's just say history won't be kind to him. Tight game, free in, about to have a man extra...all of a sudden, free is gone, no extra man, game and all ireland gone in reality

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 468 - 22/10/2020 16:19:29    2300273

Link

If they were good enough to win it, they would have. Time to get over it now.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 22/10/2020 16:26:10    2300277

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Can't understand why ur comparing Galway to Mayo in 2016. Galway weren't there full stop.. To me that sounds a big childish ie we didn't win but ye wouldn't have won either if ye were there. The fact is when Galway were there they did the business in 1998 and 2001. Agreed they left 2000 after them first day but imp if they won 2000 they might not have won in 2001. I also think it a bit of using ur imagination as excuses about not having bench of substitutes."
I was replying to the earlier comment that if them players were wearing galway jerseys they would have have 2 or 3 AIs.

Not if ye met that Dublin team..

Best of luck Sunday anyway, and hopefully see ye in a few wks time

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1204 - 22/10/2020 19:10:48    2300334

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I think the Vaughan one, well, let's just say history won't be kind to him. Tight game, free in, about to have a man extra...all of a sudden, free is gone, no extra man, game and all ireland gone in reality"
That moment summed up Donal Vaughan as a footballer.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 297 - 23/10/2020 13:11:22    2300488

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "'Mayo have been at a much higher level than Galway the last 14 years' - And what have ye to show for it? Nothing. At least we take our chances when they arise.

If those Mayo players were wearing Galway jerseys they would have two or three all Ireland's at this stage."
I've never heard such codswallop.Take your chances, Galway went over 10 years without winning a game in Croke park.
beaten by 15 points Mayo, 6 points by a 4th string Dublin, when a league title was a possibility (Take that chance did ye)
If me granny had balls shed be my uncle.
Mayo haven't done the holy grail just yet, but your jealousy of Mayos record over the last decade plus is actually embarrassing. Its akin to "Oh if DJ Carey played with Galway we would have won more all Irelands" Childish.
Anybody coming so close to toppling the Dubs are over achieving.

Kerry couldn't do it last year when they had the Dubs on an off day and down to 14 men for most of the game.
(i think they will this year)

Come back to me when Division 2 teams arent beating ye by 15 points .:)

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 27/10/2020 09:47:56    2301864

Link

Replying To club51:  "I've never heard such codswallop.Take your chances, Galway went over 10 years without winning a game in Croke park.
beaten by 15 points Mayo, 6 points by a 4th string Dublin, when a league title was a possibility (Take that chance did ye)
Mayo haven't done the holy grail just yet, but your jealousy of Mayos record over the last decade plus is actually embarrassing. Its akin to "Oh if DJ Carey played with Galway we would have won more all Irelands" Childish.

Kerry couldn't do it last year when they had the Dubs on an off day and down to 14 men for most of the game.

Come back to me when Division 2 teams arent beating ye by 15 points .:)"
Is everything okay club51? 11 players who started last years AI semi final were playing on Sunday. Mayo lost to Dublin in the league also by 6 points without Cluxton. Mayo have gone 69 years without winning Sam. I am not really sure what you are getting at here? Was it Galways 4th string that played against Mayo?
As we have seen the league is not everything, Mayo won the league last year and the celebrations afterwards compared to Kerry's this year tells you everything you need to know. Mayo have been relegated this year but don't think they'll worry too much about that when they play Leitrim this weekend. It's ironic that you say childish and then follow with " Come back to me when Div 2 teams arent beating ye by 15 points "
If you get past Leitrim & Roscommon, we could meet you in the Connaught final.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 27/10/2020 10:26:18    2301882

Link

Replying To fryingpan:  "Is everything okay club51? 11 players who started last years AI semi final were playing on Sunday. Mayo lost to Dublin in the league also by 6 points without Cluxton. Mayo have gone 69 years without winning Sam. I am not really sure what you are getting at here? Was it Galways 4th string that played against Mayo?
As we have seen the league is not everything, Mayo won the league last year and the celebrations afterwards compared to Kerry's this year tells you everything you need to know. Mayo have been relegated this year but don't think they'll worry too much about that when they play Leitrim this weekend. It's ironic that you say childish and then follow with " Come back to me when Div 2 teams arent beating ye by 15 points "
If you get past Leitrim & Roscommon, we could meet you in the Connaught final."
Hi Frying pan, It was in response to hopballref really. 11 players featured but wasn't 11 of the starters you need to fact check.
The point I was trying to make to hopball was his argument made no sense about taking chances, Galway had a chance of a league title and the didnt take it did they? They had a chance against Dublin last year. so dont be calling others out on not taking chances.You have to get to finals 1st.
No it wasnt Galways 1st team (nor was it Mayo's) Barrett , Harrison, S O Shea , Parsons, Higgins, Carr,Boyle Plunket to name a few.They are older and Mayo are blooding new talent, but be dam sure they will feature when called upon.
If you want to talk about OTT celebrations rewind back not too far to see the carry on of the Galway team after winning Connaught, in 2016 after a replay against the rossies to be honest way OTT .(but it was 8 years since they won it I suppose) kinda like Mayo but Mayos was a national title. so we will forgive both teams
From a Galway point of view ye are hoping Shane Walshe and Comer are worth a 15 point swing.....although both played last year in Limerick and apart from a late goal would have been a six pointer again.

Galway are a good team Joyce has changed but not too much else. Molloy still on the sideline for example.
The Rossies are the team to beat in Connaught this year whoever beats them wins Connaught.

And whoever wins Connaught will be beaten by Kerry.

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 27/10/2020 11:57:26    2301936

Link

Replying To club51:  "I've never heard such codswallop.Take your chances, Galway went over 10 years without winning a game in Croke park.

Come back to me when Division 2 teams arent beating ye by 15 points .:)"
Will you go away... Mayo football is a laughing stock around Ireland.. no All Ireland in nearly 70 years.. just when he think ye might be on to something you fall flat on your ***** again..
Last week you were the team to beat now you are down in Div 2.. However honestly I think you will hold your own in that Division next year!!!

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 27/10/2020 12:23:14    2301950

Link

Replying To club51:  "Hi Frying pan, It was in response to hopballref really. 11 players featured but wasn't 11 of the starters you need to fact check.
The point I was trying to make to hopball was his argument made no sense about taking chances, Galway had a chance of a league title and the didnt take it did they? They had a chance against Dublin last year. so dont be calling others out on not taking chances.You have to get to finals 1st.
No it wasnt Galways 1st team (nor was it Mayo's) Barrett , Harrison, S O Shea , Parsons, Higgins, Carr,Boyle Plunket to name a few.They are older and Mayo are blooding new talent, but be dam sure they will feature when called upon.
If you want to talk about OTT celebrations rewind back not too far to see the carry on of the Galway team after winning Connaught, in 2016 after a replay against the rossies to be honest way OTT .(but it was 8 years since they won it I suppose) kinda like Mayo but Mayos was a national title. so we will forgive both teams
From a Galway point of view ye are hoping Shane Walshe and Comer are worth a 15 point swing.....although both played last year in Limerick and apart from a late goal would have been a six pointer again.

Galway are a good team Joyce has changed but not too much else. Molloy still on the sideline for example.
The Rossies are the team to beat in Connaught this year whoever beats them wins Connaught.

And whoever wins Connaught will be beaten by Kerry."
I have.
Cluxton, D Byrne, Fitzsimons, J Small, Murchan, Fenton, McCarthy, Howard, Kilkenny, Con and Rock all started AI replay and all started against Galway on Sunday. There is no disputing this. You have to get to finals and you have to win them, yes, but the irony is that comment coming from someone from Mayo and although you did put it up to Dublin over the last decade, still failed to get over the line. Galway hurlers were in a similar position and were called bottlers until they won it in 2017. Apart from a late goal on Sunday we would have lost by 3 to the Dubs so don't think that logic works. Molloy has not started consistently under Walsh or Joyce so unless it's an injury he is not fancied. Like to think we will have Steede, Walsh, Dessie C, Flynn all starting if we get to a Connaught final. By the sounds of it Ian Burke and Comer will be out as well as McHugh who's out for the year. The team that does get out of connaught I genuinely believe will put it up to Kerry. They have serious firepower up front but not convinced with there back 6. We will see in a few weeks.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 27/10/2020 12:49:40    2301970

Link

tink ian burke injury not to serious..
hope he will be back for connacht final as we do need him as we need everybody..
comer out for 6 weeks but i wouldnt be surprised to to see him make the all ire semi if we can get there.
john daly i cannot state how big a loss he is..outstanding consistent performer who reads the game brilliantly from 6..hope to see him back in the new year better then ever..
i fully believe if we can get to all ire semi final we will be hughly competitive and with notiing to fear.
remember this kerry team have faults, alot of there new players are unknown in champ so i wouldnt say there deffinate all ire finalists..not just yeat.,
lets get back to the origional game plan by dropping half forward line to the half back line when defending.
leave full forward line in half where it is and use our kick passing game..
we have plenty of players who can kick 40-50 yard passes very accurately..
what full back line would fancy marking our full forward line with space in front of them....not to many..
we need to find that balance in next three weeks to win connacht and i believe we will.
my team v sligo and connacht final if all fit and pls god healthy is,

1.power.
2.kelly.
3.mulkerrin,
4,silke,
5,molloy, if fit and on panel..he deserves it at this stage.
6,mcdaid,power and pace needed and who can break a tackle,
7,heaney, solid
8.darcy
9.steede.
10.brannigan
11.conroy,
12,leonard
13,finnerty.
14,walsh.
15.burke(if fit)

subs,gleeson,wall,o donnell,bradshaw,flynn,tierney,connolly,varley,daly,o laoi,foley,sean andy,

injured, john daly,comer,possibly ian burke,

i believe this is a close 26 pj will pick..
there is a lot of good footballers on here..we need a gameplan that will best suit our players going forward..
we are lacking a bit of physicality but that will come in the new year..
now lets get right behind the lads..weve notting to fear in connacht anyway and i do believe we can win a conn title.
go at it hell for leather lads, where with ye.
just another quick one,its shane o neills for champ game in charge of galway and lets hope it goes well for him v wexford this saturday..he has assembled a brilliant squad of players so we wish him and the players and ecerybody involved well..
COME ON GALWAY
GAILLIMH ABY...

gbay (Galway) - Posts: 68 - 27/10/2020 13:36:11    2301991

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "Will you go away... Mayo football is a laughing stock around Ireland.. no All Ireland in nearly 70 years.. just when he think ye might be on to something you fall flat on your ***** again..
Last week you were the team to beat now you are down in Div 2.. However honestly I think you will hold your own in that Division next year!!!"
You are confusing laughing stock with your own issues, from jealousy yes Im sure you were elated and had a snigger mayo didnt do the holy grail the last decade. Self reflection on why Galway went 10 years without a win in Croke park during approximately the same period might be a better reflection- any Sportsperson will take that record any day, being honest Galway in terms of the championship were irrelevant the last 12/14 years.
And when it came to the crunch ie last year in Limerick why did Mayo win so easily?
But considering the resources, both talent and financial they had in comparison to Dublin Mayo have held their own and overachieved.

Saying that for the short term Mayos best chance of winning it most likely has passed for the shortterm.

But since Galway beat Tyrone in the league by a big score,( with the same players they had last year) they are believing the 14 page pull out in the Galway advertiser about santa sam.
The Rossies will beat both Mayo and Galway this year

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 27/10/2020 13:49:51    2302000

Link

Replying To club51:  "You are confusing laughing stock with your own issues, from jealousy yes Im sure you were elated and had a snigger mayo didnt do the holy grail the last decade. Self reflection on why Galway went 10 years without a win in Croke park during approximately the same period might be a better reflection- any Sportsperson will take that record any day, being honest Galway in terms of the championship were irrelevant the last 12/14 years.
And when it came to the crunch ie last year in Limerick why did Mayo win so easily?
But considering the resources, both talent and financial they had in comparison to Dublin Mayo have held their own and overachieved.

Saying that for the short term Mayos best chance of winning it most likely has passed for the shortterm.

But since Galway beat Tyrone in the league by a big score,( with the same players they had last year) they are believing the 14 page pull out in the Galway advertiser about santa sam.
The Rossies will beat both Mayo and Galway this year"
14 page pull out!!! We can be accused of a lot of things in Galway Football, but overdoing the hype wouldn't be one of them and definitely not from a Mayo fan. There are Caricatures of Mayo players in one of the Mayo papers this week including one of a guy who played his first game last week, that to go along with the blog and around 3 different podcasts.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 468 - 27/10/2020 14:54:15    2302064

Link

Replying To club51:  "You are confusing laughing stock with your own issues, from jealousy yes Im sure you were elated and had a snigger mayo didnt do the holy grail the last decade. Self reflection on why Galway went 10 years without a win in Croke park during approximately the same period might be a better reflection- any Sportsperson will take that record any day, being honest Galway in terms of the championship were irrelevant the last 12/14 years.

The Rossies will beat both Mayo and Galway this year"
Would you ever cop on going AI about anyone been jealous of Mayo. It's no wonder Mayo are the most disliked county in Ireland. It's people like you who bring them to that level with silly unfounded statements. Why don't you go on Dublin forum spouting that nonsense. After all it's Dublin who stopped ye winning an AI on several occasions. Further more as I already said I think this is Mayos year as they won't have support like you driving them over the edge

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 27/10/2020 15:00:24    2302070

Link

Replying To gbay:  "tink ian burke injury not to serious..
hope he will be back for connacht final as we do need him as we need everybody..
comer out for 6 weeks but i wouldnt be surprised to to see him make the all ire semi if we can get there.
john daly i cannot state how big a loss he is..outstanding consistent performer who reads the game brilliantly from 6..hope to see him back in the new year better then ever..
i fully believe if we can get to all ire semi final we will be hughly competitive and with notiing to fear.
remember this kerry team have faults, alot of there new players are unknown in champ so i wouldnt say there deffinate all ire finalists..not just yeat.,
lets get back to the origional game plan by dropping half forward line to the half back line when defending.
leave full forward line in half where it is and use our kick passing game..
we have plenty of players who can kick 40-50 yard passes very accurately..
what full back line would fancy marking our full forward line with space in front of them....not to many..
we need to find that balance in next three weeks to win connacht and i believe we will.
my team v sligo and connacht final if all fit and pls god healthy is,

1.power.
2.kelly.
3.mulkerrin,
4,silke,
5,molloy, if fit and on panel..he deserves it at this stage.
6,mcdaid,power and pace needed and who can break a tackle,
7,heaney, solid
8.darcy
9.steede.
10.brannigan
11.conroy,
12,leonard
13,finnerty.
14,walsh.
15.burke(if fit)

subs,gleeson,wall,o donnell,bradshaw,flynn,tierney,connolly,varley,daly,o laoi,foley,sean andy,

injured, john daly,comer,possibly ian burke,

i believe this is a close 26 pj will pick..
there is a lot of good footballers on here..we need a gameplan that will best suit our players going forward..
we are lacking a bit of physicality but that will come in the new year..
now lets get right behind the lads..weve notting to fear in connacht anyway and i do believe we can win a conn title.
go at it hell for leather lads, where with ye.
just another quick one,its shane o neills for champ game in charge of galway and lets hope it goes well for him v wexford this saturday..he has assembled a brilliant squad of players so we wish him and the players and ecerybody involved well..
COME ON GALWAY
GAILLIMH ABY..."
Where is Eoin Finnerty from Mountbellew ?
Is he not on the panel
Prob one of the best forwards in the Club Championship
Strong and good ball winner

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1248 - 27/10/2020 15:32:10    2302098

Link

Replying To club51:  "Hi Frying pan, It was in response to hopballref really. 11 players featured but wasn't 11 of the starters you need to fact check.

And whoever wins Connaught will be beaten by Kerry."
My point was that when Galway have a good enough team we take our chances and win All Ireland's. Admittingly we haven't had good enough players in recent years but we have taken Sam home 6 times since Mayo last did.
Ye just haven't got the bottle to win All Irelands simple as that.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 309 - 27/10/2020 15:38:45    2302106

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "My point was that when Galway have a good enough team we take our chances and win All Ireland's. Admittingly we haven't had good enough players in recent years but we have taken Sam home 6 times since Mayo last did.
Ye just haven't got the bottle to win All Irelands simple as that."
nonsense same was said about the Galway hurlers till 2017, and such a huge generalization.
Ye as in Mayo people or ye as in all the players since 1951 this is ridiculous.
So when they said the galway hurlers didnt have the bottle were the galway footballers exempt? Or was it the behemoth of GAA Kildare the lads that didnt have the bottle or did meath not have bottle

When you win you can say that, when you dont you had the bottle but not the players is it....lol

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 27/10/2020 16:04:22    2302117

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Would you ever cop on going AI about anyone been jealous of Mayo. It's no wonder Mayo are the most disliked county in Ireland. It's people like you who bring them to that level with silly unfounded statements. Why don't you go on Dublin forum spouting that nonsense. After all it's Dublin who stopped ye winning an AI on several occasions. Further more as I already said I think this is Mayos year as they won't have support like you driving them over the edge"
reply was to Galwaymaster but...

Why would you care if Mayo lost 50 all irelands? Seriously other than its the only thing you can say when your being consistently beaten by them.

Dublin dont go on with this nonsense only the noisy neighbours.. Ill take the bet and give you 4 to 1 on Mayo not winning the all ireland this year
But I doubt you will put your monery where your mouth is as your all talk www.tedbets.com if your man enough

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 27/10/2020 16:09:56    2302122

Link

Replying To club51:  "reply was to Galwaymaster but...

Why would you care if Mayo lost 50 all irelands? Seriously other than its the only thing you can say when your being consistently beaten by them.

Dublin dont go on with this nonsense only the noisy neighbours.. Ill take the bet and give you 4 to 1 on Mayo not winning the all ireland this year
But I doubt you will put your monery where your mouth is as your all talk www.tedbets.com if your man enough"
You have serious issues; coming on the Galway page arguing with everyone a few days after ye were relegated to Div 2..
Go back over to the blog and spout nonsense there or on the numerous Facebook pages or podcasts..
Bottom line it's people like you why Mayo fans are ridiculed up and down the country..
Ye are struggling to even win a Connacht title since 2015 never mind 51..
At least the Rossies know where they stand and there is no rubbish from them..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 27/10/2020 17:04:18    2302153

Link

But I doubt you will put your monery where your mouth is as your all talk www.tedbets.com if your man enough"
Consistently beaten by who now? Because if it's Mayo you'd want to check the record books over the last four years. And if you get bored of those stats delve a little deeper and check the U20s and minor stats too. Mayos win in Limerick was the first time in any age group they had toppled Galway in three years.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 513 - 27/10/2020 17:20:07    2302160

Link

Which part of Galway are you living in?

steakknife (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 27/10/2020 18:14:21    2302183

Link