National Forum

Derry manager comments on Enda Lynn

(Oldest Posts First)

I've read the article and I disagree if I pick up correctly.
So he played a soccer match was it.
No wonder GAA lads turn their back on county cos it's like a regime you have no life and can't play other sports.
I understand it was prior to a qualifier but no player should be publicly called out like that by his manager.
What's the Derry boys take on this?

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 19/06/2017 14:02:16    2001843

Link

Replying To WildPundit:  "I've read the article and I disagree if I pick up correctly.
So he played a soccer match was it.
No wonder GAA lads turn their back on county cos it's like a regime you have no life and can't play other sports.
I understand it was prior to a qualifier but no player should be publicly called out like that by his manager.
What's the Derry boys take on this?"
Don't think it was a soccer match. Came on during a league game on Monday night. Derry played on Saturday. He aggravated a hamstring injury and wasn't fit to play for Derry. I can see both sides. Lynn wanted to help his club. Barton wants best for Derry. Lynn is Derrys captain and clearly doesn't really care about playing for Derry from what I can see. This is the problem with Derry football in a nutshell. Barton must be tearing his hair out.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 19/06/2017 15:25:39    2001910

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Don't think it was a soccer match. Came on during a league game on Monday night. Derry played on Saturday. He aggravated a hamstring injury and wasn't fit to play for Derry. I can see both sides. Lynn wanted to help his club. Barton wants best for Derry. Lynn is Derrys captain and clearly doesn't really care about playing for Derry from what I can see. This is the problem with Derry football in a nutshell. Barton must be tearing his hair out."
Sounds like he had a niggling injury and shouldn't have played. If that's the case it's understandable enough from Barton that he'd be annoyed at a player not looking after himself properly.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4208 - 19/06/2017 16:10:25    2001938

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Don't think it was a soccer match. Came on during a league game on Monday night. Derry played on Saturday. He aggravated a hamstring injury and wasn't fit to play for Derry. I can see both sides. Lynn wanted to help his club. Barton wants best for Derry. Lynn is Derrys captain and clearly doesn't really care about playing for Derry from what I can see. This is the problem with Derry football in a nutshell. Barton must be tearing his hair out."
It was a Division 1 league game Slaughtneil v Greenlough. The score line was 3-2 to Slaughtneil when Enda entered the game. He was carrying a hamstring injury and he ignored the advice of the Derry Physio not too play and he done the opposite.

Now, these guys get access to the best medical teams and physics when playing for the county. So why would you go against their advice and possibly make your injury worse this ruling yourself out for club and county.

I really feel for Damian Barton, he has had his troubles since taking the job and rightly or wrongly has recreived a lot of criticism from within the county. However, when you have players walking off the panel the week of the championship game v Tyrone, players refusing to play and players ignoring medical advice then what can he do.

He is in a no win situation but he is a passionate Derry man and he craves success as any Derry supporter does but he needs players, supporters and the county board behind him.

At the end of the day it's about the county, not individuals.

Doire Abu

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 19/06/2017 16:25:42    2001943

Link