Monaghan Forum

National League 2020 Squad

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "Fairly sure Dean Connolly seen game time in the McKenna Cup last year? so no reason why he shouldn't be given another chance"
His time has come definitely !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 151 - 09/07/2019 22:24:30    2208735

Link

Replying To HB245:  "We should trial all these players in the McKenna Cup, to see who is ready for the step up. I would these players all play regularly in the McKenna Cup -
David McAllister (Emyvale)
Andrew Woods (Iniskeen)
Donal Meegan (Iniskeen)
Killian Lavelle (Clontibret)
Conor Duffy (Carrick)
Dean Connolly (Kilanny)
James Wilson who is returning from injury (Toome)
Along with these names, Frank Connolly, Jamie Walshe, David Garland and Colm Lennon should start every McKenna Cup game."
I agree we should have all these lads starting and playing all games in mckenna cup but its hard for a new guy to shine or look good when its more or less a total new 15 players.
i believe anyone who is honestly going to break into the team will have to play well with the core of the team. This is the problem with how do you get all the above guys plus a few more to look good with the core players in only a few games. yes absolutely try them in the league too but to a limit.
kinda sounds like im negative here but i do want these lads to get there chance they have earned it and some of them will for sure make it. its just hard to take a massive number of players into a setup all of a sudden.

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 141 - 10/07/2019 16:28:04    2209124

Link

A few of the those lads have a bit of height about them as well

conjack76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 54 - 11/07/2019 09:25:29    2209350

Link

Lads, we really need to stop thinking Dean Connolly is Co standard. Couldn't get on UCD sigerson panel this year and some of use think hes Co standard. Was poor against Cavan when we needed him and from what Ive seen hes been no great shakes for Killanny either this year. Andrew Woods however is a completely different kettle of fish. With the right commitment, training etc he could be a massive player for Monaghan. Karl Gallagher looks a serious prospect as does Jason Irwin, mix them two with 3 or 4 of last years minors future is looking good. What about the exiles Chris Mc Guinness, Padraig Donaghy, Peter O Hanlon, David Garland, etc? Will any of these commit to whoever the new management team is?

Frost (Cavan) - Posts: 48 - 16/07/2019 09:40:57    2211729

Link

Yep, 31 year old padraig donaghy is the way forward !!!
Mean while slating a 19/20 year old on 1 game v Cavan ??? Not sure who came out of that game looking v good ,
There s nobody here saying lad x or y is going to be an all star next year , people are saying these young lads deserve a few games at senior level and let's see how they get on , let's not proclaim any of them duds or all stars just yet, but think we all agree we need new blood next year

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 65 - 16/07/2019 11:03:48    2211770

Link