Monaghan Forum

Positives In 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

Although our seniors has not had a great year i think we have a few positives to take from there 2019 season. Firstly i think the most positive thing has got to be Niall Kearns the lad is a legend in my book already. To go through what he has and in a relatively short space of time to get his head and body right to com in a play his part for his team is unreal. I honestly think he is going to be our rock solid Mr dependable for years to come. And i think he is not only the most positive thing to come for our county but in all the country so far this year what this young lad has achieved stands out for me.
Another positive has to be seeing keiran Hughes playing again after a long injury . There were rumors left right and center about him And i hope we can all see now that they were bull and its great to see him playing again as hes such a serious athlete. He showed great passion every time he played this year and its an awful pity we had not a full team so we could shine more as i feel he was playing under a lot of pressure when he came back as our midfield was weak this year ( no disrespect to anyone )
Another one for me is that even though you read everywhere that we are an old team bla bla bla when you look at it all i can see retiring is roughly 3 players . Dessie Vinny and maybe Owen Duffy, 3 lads that owe Monaghan nothing but this last 2 years they have been used sparingly apart from Vinny. And who knows if he will retire as the man seems to never age when it comes to football. Last year was his best ever in the Monaghan jersey i think. so with roughly 3 lads stepping away we still have a great panel with plenty of other lads to make there mark for whoever gets the job.
Stephen O'Hanlon . A lot of talk = a lot of pressure on young shoulders. For me i think hes got it if he sticks at it. He is a bit light but look at snaps of mansy when he started out . If he gives us half what mansy has were onto a winner i reckon.
There are plenty more of positives outside the senior panel especially out continued success and development at minor level so the future is defiantly bright for the Farney
What are your positives for the year ??

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 141 - 25/06/2019 20:32:22    2200869

Link

Agree with all the above. Not that it's a positive but going out on June 22 means hard worked lads might get club football played a bit earlier, guys gets a good rest, and we be fresh for the league come the spring time and maybe even emulate Mayo who won the league this year after their rest last winter.
We are still young, still good, still got players other counties would love to have so a good rest is plenty of positive for me heading into 2020

theborderfox (Monaghan) - Posts: 120 - 02/07/2019 19:23:11    2204485

Link

Replying To theborderfox:  "Agree with all the above. Not that it's a positive but going out on June 22 means hard worked lads might get club football played a bit earlier, guys gets a good rest, and we be fresh for the league come the spring time and maybe even emulate Mayo who won the league this year after their rest last winter.
We are still young, still good, still got players other counties would love to have so a good rest is plenty of positive for me heading into 2020"
Beg to differ. We struggle with average teams. Such if we met kilkenny in football we could lose at the moment

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 02/07/2019 22:11:56    2204629

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "Although our seniors has not had a great year i think we have a few positives to take from there 2019 season. Firstly i think the most positive thing has got to be Niall Kearns the lad is a legend in my book already. To go through what he has and in a relatively short space of time to get his head and body right to com in a play his part for his team is unreal. I honestly think he is going to be our rock solid Mr dependable for years to come. And i think he is not only the most positive thing to come for our county but in all the country so far this year what this young lad has achieved stands out for me.
Another positive has to be seeing keiran Hughes playing again after a long injury . There were rumors left right and center about him And i hope we can all see now that they were bull and its great to see him playing again as hes such a serious athlete. He showed great passion every time he played this year and its an awful pity we had not a full team so we could shine more as i feel he was playing under a lot of pressure when he came back as our midfield was weak this year ( no disrespect to anyone )
Another one for me is that even though you read everywhere that we are an old team bla bla bla when you look at it all i can see retiring is roughly 3 players . Dessie Vinny and maybe Owen Duffy, 3 lads that owe Monaghan nothing but this last 2 years they have been used sparingly apart from Vinny. And who knows if he will retire as the man seems to never age when it comes to football. Last year was his best ever in the Monaghan jersey i think. so with roughly 3 lads stepping away we still have a great panel with plenty of other lads to make there mark for whoever gets the job.
Stephen O'Hanlon . A lot of talk = a lot of pressure on young shoulders. For me i think hes got it if he sticks at it. He is a bit light but look at snaps of mansy when he started out . If he gives us half what mansy has were onto a winner i reckon.
There are plenty more of positives outside the senior panel especially out continued success and development at minor level so the future is defiantly bright for the Farney
What are your positives for the year ??"
Injured yes but Kieran Hughes got a good long rest from football, imagine we rested McManus, Drew, Darren Hughes like this and brought them in gradually for championship, the hunger and passion for football would be there as opposed to them slogging it out from early January, I know they are key players but every other team rests their key players and gives game time to other lads who will gain experience and will have roles to play throughout the season be it through the bench or a starting role, Good team management will make this effective.

but plenty of positives to come from this season that hopefully will progress even further next season,

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 654 - 03/07/2019 11:21:18    2204806

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Beg to differ. We struggle with average teams. Such if we met kilkenny in football we could lose at the moment"
''We'' as in Cavan?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 654 - 03/07/2019 11:49:14    2204827

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "''We'' as in Cavan?"
So you want me to say great bunch of lads. There are good footballers on the team. But why do average teams beat us?

Fix that problem and we would be a top two to four team.

We need about two decent consistent forwards, one mid fielder and two backs. Short about seven for sam

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 03/07/2019 12:08:10    2204838

Link

There are many reasons to be positive for coming season. Although we have several players the wrong side of 30, they still have loads to offer. We have the likes of Ryan W, Rory, Niall, 2 Kieran's , Ryan Mac, Dessie W and Finty in their prime. We just need to embrace the younger players instead of paying them lip service. James Mealiff needs to be given his chance, not just 5 mins here and there. We need to know whether he's up to the mark. The same way we found out about Conor Boyle and Niall Kearns in 2018. Because, no harm to the lad, there's always going to be a question mark when you're playing Junior football. We need Barry Kerr back in the fold. It was understandable that Malachy stuck with his older players, Micko Dwyer admitted the same mistake with Kerry in his last year's. But we have to give youth it's head.
If there were a transfer market, Kerry would be snapping up our back 7 in a heartbeat. We're miles ahead of them defensively. And it's nothing to do with getting numbers back, we just have better backs than them.
We need a more positive outlook, I think football tactics passed us by in last year or so. I look back on the Cavan game and the pass that led to the penalty. I don't think we'd kick that ball in a month of Sunday's. We'd go sideways and backwards. We need to be asking more questions of teams. Look at our scoring record this year, our average over league and championship was 14 points. That's not good enough. Next year's Ulster Championship is going to be the hardest ever won. There's us, Donegal, Tyrone, Cavan and Armagh with genuine claims but if we remain injury free I think we've as good a chance as any, if and only if, we change our tactics.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 361 - 03/07/2019 15:53:03    2204981

Link

Poor enough mentality. It was a shocking season. Bar beating the dubs in pre season and maybe Kearns and Hughes playing well, it was pretty poor. A very poor league; new players were tried nothing came of them. The defence was opened up for some huge scores. The cavan game was woeful. A free taker would have seen Fermanagh knock Monaghan out before armagh tanked them. Malachy did the right thing and stepped away, he brought some wonderful days to the county. The players for the last 7 years everyone one of them owe nobody anything, class acts in terms of their effort. Inconsistency and failure to get over the winning line has been cruel on Monaghan. Monaghan could not see off a woeful Kerry last summer or Tyrone as they hadn't the players to see it out or composure like the top teams. Bar 5 players, it's an average team. O Rourke worked wonders with his pick. I stand by argument donegal , Tyrone, armagh are producing better players then what Monaghan have.

222 (UK) - Posts: 505 - 03/07/2019 20:11:32    2205105

Link

Replying To 222:  "Poor enough mentality. It was a shocking season. Bar beating the dubs in pre season and maybe Kearns and Hughes playing well, it was pretty poor. A very poor league; new players were tried nothing came of them. The defence was opened up for some huge scores. The cavan game was woeful. A free taker would have seen Fermanagh knock Monaghan out before armagh tanked them. Malachy did the right thing and stepped away, he brought some wonderful days to the county. The players for the last 7 years everyone one of them owe nobody anything, class acts in terms of their effort. Inconsistency and failure to get over the winning line has been cruel on Monaghan. Monaghan could not see off a woeful Kerry last summer or Tyrone as they hadn't the players to see it out or composure like the top teams. Bar 5 players, it's an average team. O Rourke worked wonders with his pick. I stand by argument donegal , Tyrone, armagh are producing better players then what Monaghan have."
think you missed the heading of this thread its positives. if you dont got any set up a negatives thread

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 141 - 03/07/2019 21:00:22    2205134

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "think you missed the heading of this thread its positives. if you dont got any set up a negatives thread"
What do you think are monaghan weaknesses? I think mid field and our forward line (bar mcmanus)

We also have a problem with favourite tag

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 04/07/2019 19:08:24    2205580

Link

Niall Kearns Kieran Hughes in the summer. Darren Hughes/Barry Kerr in the league. V little else. A year to forget.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1392 - 04/07/2019 19:55:10    2205594

Link