Monaghan Forum

USFC - Fermanagh V Monaghan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Cuppa:  "Well said and so true"
The Carlow game last year was Fremanaghesque - we struggled badly

conjack76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 55 - 14/06/2018 14:48:55    2111513

Link

Replying To conjack76:  "The Carlow game last year was Fremanaghesque - we struggled badly"
I think monaghan have a tendency to struggle in these games.
They are very latheral in their forward movement and have a slow build up. When you look at dublin v tyrone last year, dublins forward thinking and quick rotation of forward movement ripped the defense up. Monaghan dont have pacy and powerful forwards like what dublin, kerry and say what galway have to overcome these packed defenses

222 (UK) - Posts: 507 - 14/06/2018 15:19:28    2111528

Link

Replying To Cuppa:  "Well said and so true"
"an embarrassing result for the 3rd time in 3 years" ... exactly. Wasted opportunities every time. What's the point in pushing to stay in Div 1 when we keep losing these games that actually matter. It's not acceptable anymore. I'm still trying to get my head around how we got outsmarted by Fermanagh when we knew exactly how the game was going to be played (apart perhaps from the verbals that Ricey introduced to their set up).

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 79 - 14/06/2018 16:58:53    2111568

Link

Replying To 222:  "The facts speak for themselves. All year this forum has been taken up by posters stating how of good of a panel Monaghan has and the talent coming through and the way the team is more attacking and direct. It counted for nothing two weeks ago. You can paint that Fermanagh result anyway you want but that was an embarrassing result for the 3rd time in 3 years. The mindset of some supporters on here is strange- seem to be content with a we run in the qualifiers and see where it takes the team. The Fermanagh game was just a bad day at the office rubbish. What this year was a great opportunity to win ulster the hard way. Back up the league campaign with silver ware- emulate what Monaghan did from 79-88. The super 8"s would of taken care of themselves.

I believe that Monaghan do have the talent and some serious players. But they are being let down by management. The game two weeks ago was an ideal chance to mix things up. MOR new Gallagher had a great insight into Monaghan. Guys like Malone and Walsh had to start. That type of game suited them.Mc carthy needed to be in from the off. I'd even have started Neil mc Adam. For all his flaws that game would have suited him. I'd be hoping there will be a turn in the qualifiers where the team is freshened up."
League form will only tell ya so much. Its in the white heat of championship you really find out where the heads and legs are at and for third year running we weren't at the races when it came down to it in ulster. Summer isn't over yet so lets hold off judging mgmt and team but omens don't look good for this group as definite trend emerging there of a slide in form when compared to way team was motoring in 13-15. At end of 16 I thought Malachy had brought us as far as he was going to bring us and people were willing to give him another year or two based on what he had achieved which was fair enough and deserved but the tide has gone out a bit since in Summer form. I really don't think teams like Down and Fermanagh would have beaten and bullied us in ulster in Malachys first three seasons. Because of our style of play we require huge intensity and work rate which is hard to maintain. Hopefully a few trips round the country in the qualifiers will recharge the batteries as id say it will be v difficult to raise the players mentally for the qualifiers given the manner of defeat to fermanagh.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 14/06/2018 17:25:03    2111576

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "League form will only tell ya so much. Its in the white heat of championship you really find out where the heads and legs are at and for third year running we weren't at the races when it came down to it in ulster. Summer isn't over yet so lets hold off judging mgmt and team but omens don't look good for this group as definite trend emerging there of a slide in form when compared to way team was motoring in 13-15. At end of 16 I thought Malachy had brought us as far as he was going to bring us and people were willing to give him another year or two based on what he had achieved which was fair enough and deserved but the tide has gone out a bit since in Summer form. I really don't think teams like Down and Fermanagh would have beaten and bullied us in ulster in Malachys first three seasons. Because of our style of play we require huge intensity and work rate which is hard to maintain. Hopefully a few trips round the country in the qualifiers will recharge the batteries as id say it will be v difficult to raise the players mentally for the qualifiers given the manner of defeat to fermanagh."
we do not have sufficient quality to win an all Ireland that's why I always like to win ulster and then give the All-Ireland ago. Malachy is not the problem, we just do not have enough good players.

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 15/06/2018 12:03:42    2111807

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "we do not have sufficient quality to win an all Ireland that's why I always like to win ulster and then give the All-Ireland ago. Malachy is not the problem, we just do not have enough good players."
Not talking about winning all Ireland's. The best we could hope for on a good day in my view is a semi final place.
I am talking about form of the team which has been on the slide since 16 in ulster. We still have good players compared to rest of the teams in ulster and while Malachy was rightly credited with the success we had winning ulster in 13 and 15 he will have to at end of year take responsibility for three consecutive failures in ulster. Don't get me wrong I like malachy think he is a good manager but sometimes complaceny creeps into a set up especially over six years which it clearly has in terms of motivating the side last year v Down and this year v Fermanagh. But look am just one opinion and the hope is the team finds it from somewhere to do themselves justice over remainder of the summer as they owe it to themselves to show they are well good enough.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 15/06/2018 12:39:42    2111823

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Not talking about winning all Ireland's. The best we could hope for on a good day in my view is a semi final place.
I am talking about form of the team which has been on the slide since 16 in ulster. We still have good players compared to rest of the teams in ulster and while Malachy was rightly credited with the success we had winning ulster in 13 and 15 he will have to at end of year take responsibility for three consecutive failures in ulster. Don't get me wrong I like malachy think he is a good manager but sometimes complaceny creeps into a set up especially over six years which it clearly has in terms of motivating the side last year v Down and this year v Fermanagh. But look am just one opinion and the hope is the team finds it from somewhere to do themselves justice over remainder of the summer as they owe it to themselves to show they are well good enough."
I respect your views. if Malachy was to leave we would slide further. a semi-final spot this year would be great but the super Eights have lessened monaghans chances.

we always have been great underdogs but give us the favourite and we seem to freeze

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 15/06/2018 14:07:10    2111857

Link

Second year running v one sided ulster final because we didn't show up in semi final against a div 3 team. Hope side keeps hurt with them for rest of summer at this to drive them on.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 24/06/2018 15:25:01    2114222

Link