Kildare Forum

Start Again

(Oldest Posts First)

I write this open letter out of despair about where Kildare is going. As a people supporting our county we need to decide what is best not only for our county but also for the future of Gaelic Football within the county. I write as a person who has played inter county football and who has won county championships and league division one titles. Football in Kildare is dying, it is dying because the roots of the county are dead.

The roots I speak of are the clubs of the county. The facts are that the standard of club football is in the most appalling state. I would say that only Sarsfields, Moorefield, Athy and Celbridge could compete at senior level in Dublin and even of these four it is not certain they would all survive. The competition these teams face is nothing more than cannon fodder in the championship. The attendances at club championship has dwindled and with competing interests from a variety of sports that are now accessible to the youth of today nobody cares as much for club championship. This leads to the poor standard we now see. The junior championship is a complete embarrassment and while the intermediate is competitive it is still poor. This is having a knock on effect on the county team. County managers no longer attend championship games to source new talent they go so everyone can see they have attended but in reality they have learned nothing.
This weekend sees the start of the Aldridge, Dowling, Keogh cups and it is more rubbish rubbish upon more shite. If we are ever to compete against the likes of Dublin again we need to scrap the Championship structures at the moment. Kildare should no longer have a junior and intermediate grade just one senior grade. We need to look at amalgamations among rural clubs maybe along parish or geographic lines. Let's take a look at some of the facts.

HopeSprings (Kildare) - Posts: 4 - 12/02/2015 17:09:23    1693013

Link

Ballykelly were unable to field a team in League games last year.
Caragh & Raheens are intermediate teams from the one parish.
Look at the trashings Johnstownbridge, Raheens and Kevins have taken in last years Division 1. The trashing's Robertstown, Ballykelly, Ballymore took in Division 2. The fact that Kilcullen struggle in Division 3.
In my time playing with Kildare there were players capable to playing inter county however the standard they were forced to play at club level ensured they never reached their potential and this also affected Kildare ultimately. This can no longer be allowed to continue. We need to bring teams together and make a serious Championship in Kildare. This pooling of resources will also allow for a really good second team instead of what happens at the moment where some chap who doesn't want to play serious football runs rings around some 50 year old or teams pull out during the league cause they can't field. Here is a list of teams that I propose:

HopeSprings (Kildare) - Posts: 4 - 12/02/2015 17:14:58    1693017

Link

1. Sarsfields
2. Moorefield
3. Celbridge
4. Athy
5. Carbury
6. St.Laurances + Grange
7. Monasterevan
8. Clane + Ardclough
9. Johnstownbridge + Clogherinkoe
10. Round Towers
11. Ellistown + Rathangan
12. Kilcock + Cappagh
13. Naas + Two Mile House
14. Sallins + Raheens
15. Eadestown + Ballymore
16. Lexilip
17. Maynooth + Straffan
18. Confey
19. Athgarvan + Suncroft + Kilcullen
20. Kildangan + Nurney + Ballykelly
21. Milltown + Ballyteague
22. Allenwood + Robertstown
23. Castledermot + Castlemitchell + Rebhan
24. Caragh + St.Kevins + Rathcoffey

This would make 24 serious teams and would lead to real meaningful matches with strong teams or due to population size have the ability to develop. Dublin club championship is so strong that it is only a matter of time before it is shown live on TV Kildare must be proactive and move with the times.

Yes their will no doubt be club member around the county not happy with this suggestion and will say my great grandfather sweated bloody to build this club and while we must respect and appreciate this the fact remains time has moved on people have cars now, more sports to choose from and we as a county must move with the times. To have a competitive inter county team we must have a competitive club championship. Some players will be moved to the second team some might not play Senior football for as long but they will play better football when they are there. ADAPT OR DIE

HopeSprings (Kildare) - Posts: 4 - 12/02/2015 17:18:53    1693021

Link

Hopespring I totally agree.

I think, and I have said it on here before, that we should stop throwing vast sums of money into the senior county team for the moment and stark focusing on the underage. Clubs, especially rural ones are extremely underfunded.

I was up on my local pitch on friday night with the kids. I asked why they couldn't train on a Saturday morning. I was told this couldn't happen as Rugby training was on.

When did we start competing with these sports? Why are we competing with them?

Our best players all grew up and learned their ball in the clubs yet our best ones would not be good enough to get near a top 5 or 6 team at the moment. This shows that something is wrong here.

I think though the standard of football at club level is mirrored across the country. I was at an under 16 game last year and the manager had them playing with a sweeper................

Young forwards didn't have a chance to prosper or hone their skills because of this.

At senior club level it's mostly the same story. How many games last year finished with each team kicking less than 10 scores. I've always taught when there is a group stage in championship and during the league a team should get a bonus point for kicking more than 13 scores. it could only be a good thing.

Pure garbage.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 12/02/2015 17:28:08    1693034

Link

I couldnt agree more.At the moment I have 50 u8 boys who have played in Spring and Autumn leagues and will do so again in March. When we visit most teams , the attitude to rules such as 2 plays, Zones and the playing of overage players is abysmal. Such was our displeasure about last year that we were condsiering entering all our teams in a West Dublin league.We play Dublin teams in both hurling or football and beat them out the gate.However apart from Round Towers in Kildare town , and Naas ,the rest of the clubs dont care once they fulfill the fixtures.This is feeds into the adult ranks in my opinion.

dubya (Kildare) - Posts: 423 - 12/02/2015 19:38:46    1693097

Link

1. Sarsfields
2. Moorefield
3. Celbridge
4. Athy
5. Carbury
6. St.Laurances + Grange
7. Monasterevan
8. Clane + Ardclough
9. Johnstownbridge + Clogherinkoe
10. Round Towers
11. Ellistown + Rathangan
12. Kilcock + Cappagh
13. Naas + Two Mile House
14. Sallins + Raheens
15. Eadestown + Ballymore
16. Lexilip
17. Maynooth + Straffan
18. Confey
19. Athgarvan + Suncroft + Kilcullen
20. Kildangan + Nurney + Ballykelly
21. Milltown + Ballyteague
22. Allenwood + Robertstown
23. Castledermot + Castlemitchell + Rebhan
24. Caragh + St.Kevins + Rathcoffey

A lot of that I don't agree with Hopesprings.....

Plus you have left out a lot of clubs.

You'd really want to be putting Ardclough,Straffan and Kill together. Maynooth has a huge population and have A and B teams at underage level for nearly every age group.

Anyway, the rural clubs with small numbers could look at this. Within the bigger clubs they just need to do more work.

BTW clane and ardclough is a strange one.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 13/02/2015 09:46:00    1693176

Link

The standard of club football in kildare is quite high. I play for an intermediate club myself and last year we play senior teams from meath, westmeath, roscommon, louth and galway and we won each game. intermediate in kildare is tough going and alot stronger than many of our neighbouring counties. the junior championship is not the shambles your making it out to be. two mile house did win the all ireland junior champ last year you do realise? Straffan meanwhile got to the leinster final this year and were unlucky not to win. Senior is very competitive, i dont think anyone would suggest that moorefield won the champ easy last year, beaten by athy early on and then scraped past Johnstownbridge who were without Daniel Flynn.

Kildare club football is in a good state.

11jm11 (Kildare) - Posts: 330 - 13/02/2015 10:06:44    1693191

Link

11jm11,

With all due respect in this day and age we need a strong senior club championship as a springboard for the county team and we just don't have that. It shows when our county champions play in Leinster almost every year.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 13/02/2015 10:43:33    1693203

Link

The league needs to be revamped i will admit. having divisions with 16 teams in each is silly as come round 10 of the league, most teams are neither fighting for honours nor trying to stave off relegation. each divison should be reduced to 10 teams meaning every game counts. would also prevent the hammerings which do occur from time to time in the league

11jm11 (Kildare) - Posts: 330 - 13/02/2015 11:02:07    1693209

Link

A strong senior club championship can only make for a better county team".

That seems like a fair and reasonable statement.
Now look at what in practice would happen.

Let's say that we have a strong county team that has a right good run in the All-Ireland.
What happens to the senior club championship..........that's right, nothing, it will be delayed until Kildare are eliminated.
This obviously weakens the club championship, especially if it were a regular occurrence.

So now we have a strong county team resulting in the weakening of the senior club championship which results therefore in the weakening of the county team.

So obviously my first sentence is wrong.
It should read "A weak senior club championship can only make for a better county team".
Well, we have the weak bit, but the better bit is missing, so that doesn't work either.

Hold on, I think I have it now.....

A strong senior club championship can only make for a worse county team.
Oh dear, but that's the opposite to my "fair and reasonable statement".

My head hurts....

Parzifal (Kildare) - Posts: 20 - 13/02/2015 11:19:10    1693213

Link

Parzifal,

The issue is with the cb being dictated to by the senior county manager. McGeeney was a master at this too.

There should be no issue whatsoever that the senior,inter and junior championship games can't be played up until 10 days before the county team play.

We have lads on our county team making up the panel who literally don't play any football until the club champ starts in late july or August.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 13/02/2015 11:52:37    1693226

Link

Agreed in full.
The other mistake we keep making is selecting guys onto the county panel on account of their ability, then spend huge time and resources knocking that very same ability out of them and turning them in automatons.

Parzifal (Kildare) - Posts: 20 - 13/02/2015 15:15:08    1693301

Link

All county platers should be available for club games.Or championship should not stop during the championship except if there is a very close clash.The present system has created a chasm between both.It also establishes a air of deference to what has been an underachieving group.

dubya (Kildare) - Posts: 423 - 13/02/2015 19:29:26    1693365

Link