Kildare Forum

Best of luck to hurlers in the All-Ireland final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Appalling treatment of Kildare but Im not surprised at all - it happened to us last year. The comments about the big counties only looking after themselves is very true - they couldnt care less about us in the so called weaker counties

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 16/06/2014 12:32:21    1604424

Link

Lads link to an excellent article here in the Indo. Shows how much potential and committment our hurlers have even in the face of adversity.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/kildares-hurlers-are-fighting-to-escape-the-backwater-30897732.html

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 12/01/2015 17:08:07    1682617

Link

Lads link to an excellent article here in the Indo. Shows how much potential and committment our hurlers have even in the face of adversity.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/kildares-hurlers-are-fighting-to-escape-the-backwater-30897732.html

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 12/01/2015 17:09:25    1682618

Link

Good read Daytona. Fair play to Lawlor and the team. Best of luck to them 2015. Was at a couple of games last year, plan to be at more this year.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1591 - 12/01/2015 19:43:59    1682657

Link

Great to see they are getting some exposure .They also seem to be well organised and set up. The bit about them m getting vouchers the same week the footballers went for warm weather training is an eye openr.Although to be fair the footballers raised the mmoney themselves.

dubya (Kildare) - Posts: 423 - 13/01/2015 20:50:27    1682990

Link

I see that the hurlers have been moved from Conleths to Hawkfield this weekend for their Kehoe Cup game v NUIM. Footballers will be using Conleths instead.

Again more ill treatment of the hurlers. They are all ireland champs for the first time and should have been recognised and honoured in their first home game since winning the Ring cup. A double header would have been a great idea as I really do feel the profile of hurling in Kildare can grow after their success. But they need help from the CB.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 14/01/2015 14:18:32    1683172

Link

I see that the hurlers have been moved from Conleths to Hawkfield this weekend for their Kehoe Cup game v NUIM. Footballers will be using Conleths instead.

Again more ill treatment of the hurlers. They are all ireland champs for the first time and should have been recognised and honoured in their first home game since winning the Ring cup. A double header would have been a great idea as I really do feel the profile of hurling in Kildare can grow after their success. But they need help from the CB.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 14/01/2015 14:19:00    1683173

Link

I would say that the reasons that the hurlers are in Hawkfield and not Conleth's is probably due to the fact that (A) the pitch won't hold up to two games on the same day and (B) the lack of sufficient dressing rooms for two (low profile) inter-county games at the same venue on the same day.

I have talked to players before when the Kildare hurlers and footballers have played in Conleth's the same day and everyone associated with both camps hated the lack of space, hence when similar fixtures came around on different dates thereafter the teams involved in the first game of the two used to tog out and tog in in Sarsfields or somewhere else so that the dressing rooms would be freed up as soon as for the incoming teams after them.

The hurlers going to Hawkfield this Sunday is no biggy, certainly not with them themselves, and definitely not with their supporters who will be thin on the ground at this time of the year wherever they play. Even Brian Lawlor is quoted in today's Indo (or Times or Examiner, can't remember), that he has no issue with it, pointing out that Pitch 1 (which they get this year rather than Pitch 4), is more condusive to the style of game that they want to play.

AS far as I am aware there is one, if not two, league double headers pencilled in this season and I'm sure, well I'm not really but I do hope, that the County Board and the wider Kildare GAA wil give the hurlers due recognition of their achievements in 2014.

EndaKenny (Kildare) - Posts: 12 - 14/01/2015 16:21:08    1683222

Link

Endakenny,

Ok that all makes sense. I suppose what it really highlights is the total lack of interest from the CB in providing new dressing rooms in Conleths. Up in the meeting there is ample space for people to drink tea and eat cakes match surely.

How is this meeting room needed with all of the facilities in Hawkfield now. Surely they could convert this. It would make a hell of a difference.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 14/01/2015 16:39:03    1683228

Link

Now Daytona, don't be trying to deny the "suits" their cuppa and cakes before, during and after games in Conleth's 8-)

But I'd imagine the reason they aren't converting the upstairs is (A) lack of money to carry out the work and (B) the County Board probably still need a room in Conleth's should they need to carry out any business on a match day?

But you are right that the upstairs room could well be used an additional changing areas but foresight and the County Board don't tend to go hand in hand.

EndaKenny (Kildare) - Posts: 12 - 15/01/2015 13:33:05    1683493

Link

True Enda,

But when you see the amounts of money being directed to Parc Caoimh and other GAA interests surely a hundred thousand or so isn't that much to try and secure.

I personally feel that with a small refurd that Conleths could be brought up to scratch.

1.New dressing rooms
2. New toilets for patrons
3. Get rid of the out dated fence around the pitch.

That for a start I don't think would set the world back to much financially.....

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 15/01/2015 14:15:58    1683510

Link

I think you'll find that that money being re-directed to Pairc Ui Chaoimh and other places isn't going there free of charge...I'm sure the Cork Co Board have acquired it as some sort of a loan that will be required to be paid back. And plus, the Kildare Co Board - while in the black this year I think - would be very, very reluctant to start borrowing just now considering all that has gone on in recent years.

But to be fair to them the Kildare Co Board have made some improvements to Conleth's in the past few months, however minimum. They have done these on a shoe string and it must not be ignored also that they have also other expenses that need to be paid off too, namely Hawkfield even though that was partly supplemented by the clubs of the county.

It's always easy to ask for things to be done but when the money isn't there then it's even harder for those things to be completed and completed when people want them completed.

EndaKenny (Kildare) - Posts: 12 - 16/01/2015 12:20:27    1683820

Link

St Conleth's will never see any major redevelopment work. The existing site is much too small for any expansion or indeed much modernisation.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 744 - 16/01/2015 17:31:24    1683936

Link