Kildare Forum

Dara O'Se or Kevin McStay Kildare bound?

(Oldest Posts First)

Reading this on the paper today. Very interesting indeed. Time for change I think. Your Thoughts?

KingOfJacks (Kildare) - Posts: 361 - 31/08/2013 19:29:49    1471997

Link

Time for a change of expectations from all in the county.Not contenders at this juncture in Leinster or for the big one.The players wont want change as its likey that some will lose their place in the squad.

dubya (Kildare) - Posts: 423 - 31/08/2013 20:58:34    1472059

Link

Neither will happen

jimski (Kildare) - Posts: 338 - 31/08/2013 21:01:04    1472064

Link

load of nonsense, as if the role would hold any appeal for them. Just pointless gossip.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 01/09/2013 14:05:07    1472263

Link

We've got a manager already

Count_Awesome (Kildare) - Posts: 736 - 01/09/2013 17:12:40    1472359

Link

To be honest, after watching the Dubs/Kerry match today it doesn't matter who is managing us - can't see anyone in Leinster competing with Dublin for the next while

jimski (Kildare) - Posts: 338 - 01/09/2013 17:43:55    1472404

Link

Either would be great. I feel Dara would bring some nohow to the midfield problem and would be a great mentor to the likes of Sean Hurley coming through. A settled midfield is key. Also our forwards need to click and play together more often. Kevin from what I've seen is perfect choice for that. A great forward in his playing time. Also a settled group of forward is key too. So its a tosh up really. I think i'd go with Kevin cause hes that bit more experience.

Geezer, as good a trainer and motivator as he is, he just chops and changes the starting 15 too much. I'm all for giving lads a chance but when you play a different set of forwards in every day how do you expect them to click? Same with midfield... look at the understanding the Mayo brothers have, the dublin lads, the Kerry forwards today... that set of forwards was selected for weeks and trained together night in night out.

Come game day when were being destroyed, he pulls young lads off and puts on the already failed players... this isnt good for either group. Dublin got rid of the dead wood and stuck by well drilled, talented, hungry young lads. We need to follow suit. I'd be happy if either man took the job. Id throw Glen Ryan into the mix too.

cilldara13 (Kildare) - Posts: 261 - 01/09/2013 18:09:35    1472445

Link

If mcgeeney does not want it, I think Glen would just be given it as it is hard to see why any other manager would want it--Dubs dominant in Leinster, kildare with a harmless forward line. Glen a true great and die hard kildare man may want it but there's not much in it for anyone else.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 02/09/2013 08:44:19    1472701

Link

Cian O'Neill wants it.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 744 - 02/09/2013 11:29:04    1472899

Link

Glen Ryan doesnt want it switec he said so in this interview he does not want to manage anyone at this point in time. Im Backing McGeeney.
http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/ryan-speaks-about-longford-tenure/

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 02/09/2013 12:20:39    1472962

Link

dubya
County: Kildare

Time for a change of expectations from all in the county.Not contenders at this juncture in Leinster or for the big one.The players wont want change as its likey that some will lose their place in the squad.

All in the county?

So people (somewhat unrealistically) expecting us to challenge for Leinster and progress in the All Ireland series should reassess their expectactions. That's probably fair enough.

What about people who are able to see the big picture and don't have such unrealistic expectations though? Not everybody expects us to win Leinster and reach All Ireland semis or finals. Should they change their expectations and swap ambitions with the people above and start expecting us to challenge for trophies?

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3635 - 02/09/2013 12:28:58    1472975

Link

I'm also backing mcgeeney as he has transformed us from what we were when he took over. Just short the kind of quality players needed to win things but could be a lot worse. Div 1 and regular QF appearances is a decent return for the players available to him, i think he has done well and we should stick with him unless there is a nailed on better option which there isn't.

As regards kildare fans having realistic expectations, well that's just not how things go in this county,not likely to change or be swayed by facts!

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 02/09/2013 12:49:54    1473011

Link

Switec - Thats a load of scutter. The players are there to really put it up to anyone on a given day I don't think the players are the problem. Its clear that the team have been set up badly. Cork last year and Dublin this year just ran straight through us time and again, we were wide open down the middle. On the players we have all stars in Foley, Kelly, Johnny, all star nominees in Leper, Bolton, Smith, McGrillen, some of the best young talent in the country in Flynn, Hurley, Brophy and Kelly and through in Eoin Doyle, Eoghan O'Flaherty and Ollie lyons and you can see the talent in our squad.

Bigwilly (Kildare) - Posts: 136 - 02/09/2013 13:30:19    1473064

Link

Bigwilly
County: Kildare

1473064 Switec - Thats a load of scutter. The players are there to really put it up to anyone on a given day I don't think the players are the problem. Its clear that the team have been set up badly. Cork last year and Dublin this year just ran straight through us time and again, we were wide open down the middle. On the players we have all stars in Foley, Kelly, Johnny, all star nominees in Leper, Bolton, Smith, McGrillen, some of the best young talent in the country in Flynn, Hurley, Brophy and Kelly and through in Eoin Doyle, Eoghan O'Flaherty and Ollie lyons and you can see the talent in our squad.

Good points, now all we need to do is get rid of McGeeney at the meeting tomorrow night, and get a real manager. There is one man who can lead Kildare, Glenn Ryan

bryanadams (Kildare) - Posts: 733 - 02/09/2013 13:51:13    1473099

Link

can't agree Bigwilly, forwards can't seem to score when it matters, the players are decent but not quite match winners, kicked wide after wide against tyrone in their home ground. No problem if they decide to ditch mcgeeney but i've a lot of time for a man who brought us to 5 QFs and a semi. People seem to think a new manager will come in and turn us into trophy winners, but they're dreamers. Dublin's b team could win leinster next year-look at kerry v dublin forward play yesterday, we're light years away!

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 02/09/2013 15:25:40    1473217

Link

Switec thats a fair point on the forward play but I think with the players I have named there off the top of my head you would have to agree that there is enough talent to not be getting hammered by 15 or 20 points similar to whats happened in the last two years. When Aidan O'Rourke was there that didnt happen. Saying this it would be a massive step backwards if Glen Ryan was appointed but I think the management will be the same and we will have more of the same next year.

Bigwilly (Kildare) - Posts: 136 - 02/09/2013 16:00:17    1473272

Link

agree on that bigwilly, more of the same in the post-we'll hold onto div 1 status, and exit via a qualifier in the championship, but lots of counties have it worse!

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 02/09/2013 16:09:03    1473289

Link

There seems to be a serious lack in confidence within most the players. Everyone's afraid to make a mistake, nobodies sure if they're going to play and in what position too. We need somebody to come in and say right Hurley and Daryl Flynn, you're my two midfielders. End of, no chopping and changing. Then pick an inside forward and stick with. I firmly believe Alan Smith can still be our main man, but playing and dropping him every 2nd game doesn't help. He has the talent, he's just no confidence playing with Kildare.

How can forwards click when there's no much chopping and changing. Look at Mayo and Dublin, huge squads and everyone is pushing everyone. But when it comes to picking the best 6 forwards they basically pick themselves. Mid field too, its settled. Half backs, full backs also settled.

cilldara13 (Kildare) - Posts: 261 - 02/09/2013 18:29:29    1473448

Link

This meeting tomorrow could be crazy.

If it's put to the clubs to vote on retaining McGeeney and his current backroom team it could well be rejected, if it's McGeeney and a few new faces then the clubs might accept it. Hard to see McGeeney himself accepting others dictating to him who can be part of his backroom team and who can't though.

If clubs are going to be putting forward their own nominations then hopefully Glen and Jason Ryan aren't the two main names put forward. Both have come out and said they aren't willing to commit to management next year, if McGeeney does go then it's fair to assume Jason Ryan will go too, I can't imagine any manager out there who'd realistically be a better shout than both of them together at the moment.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3635 - 02/09/2013 21:23:37    1473604

Link

Cilldara14

You have a definite gripe with Glen Ryan and it obviously stems from some club game or he didn't pick you for u21's or something like that.Whatever it is, you're wasting your time slagging him off here.
Glen Ryan gave everything he had to give for Kildare football and still would. While I wouldn't like to see him as manager the man still lives and breathes Kildare football and is as passionate about it as he ever was.I wonder if you have the balls to make that comment to his face ?

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1592 - 04/09/2013 08:43:28    1474618

Link