Kildare Forum

Playing Catch-Up

(Oldest Posts First)

Have our priorities changed now as a result of our very poor season in 2012, instead of plotting/dreaming of winning Leinster/Sam, are we now playing catch-up with the teams who are playing catch-up? Can anyone convince me otherwise, I hope you can!!!

lilypad (Kildare) - Posts: 996 - 26/09/2012 20:05:49    1273479

Link

Well I have read many other counties forums lillypad and many counties including Meath where posters would like goals to be met such
such as been competitive again gaining promotion,reaching quarter finals.
for a county like kildare who lets face it were at the bottom of the pile pre 2008
are we not already as it stands making that progress for a county like kildare is winning division 2,gaining promtion to Division 1 playing the top teams in the country in the league next spring and reaching quarter finals on a consistent basis not progress??
Now I think we can make another step up and claim silverware course I do Kildare have a good team good manager and a huge amount of supporter base you may say to me am I happy with just that progress cast your mind back before 2008
are we not in a much better place than many's a county (taking the finanical situation a side) and I can honestly say as a kildare fan for many a year,
I am very happy to say I now go to matches with confidence following kildare instead of hope and that says it all.
This team and management I feel do have what it takes to bring it on another level and claim silverware been in Division 1 is not the be all and end all of course but it cannot be under estimated kildare will be playing against those teams that will be in the mix for sam next year and it will give kildare the experience if kildare come up against one of those in the championship( take a big scalp) if you like.
Like I said Kildare can and have what it takes to make the breakthrough but reality check lets not forget the level Kildare where at only a couple of years ago and what has been achieved so far so lillypad to answer your question no I dont think we are been left behind in fact we have made great strides.
CILL DARA ABU

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 26/09/2012 21:24:37    1273545

Link

Encouraging words lillywhitemagic, that's the type of thing I was hoping to hear!

lilypad (Kildare) - Posts: 996 - 26/09/2012 21:38:21    1273551

Link

I think we need to focus on a good league campaign and then leinster. Winning leinster has to be the main goal for next season. A run in the backdoor is all well and good, but it will not end in silverware. I agree with the post above that we have come along way since pre 2008, but comparing this year to 2011 I think we have gone back a little. Some new blood is needed to give the team a fresh lift and then we can see what 2013 will bring.

cilldaraman (Kildare) - Posts: 203 - 27/09/2012 13:40:40    1273731

Link

I'm not a huge follower of the big ball game but I keep in touch at the same time, some poster said we were at the bottom of the pile pre 2008, another said we have come a long way since pre 2008 alas this has what has prompted me to respond accordingly, and to add, that it's not very fair to the teams of 1998 and 2000 which is not that long ago, and I'm sure both posters remember well those good years add to that, there was some very promising years between 2000 and 2008, we won two leinsters and reached an all Ireland final in those said years pre 2008, since 2008 there is no leinsters and no all Ireland.

Cuhullain (Kildare) - Posts: 208 - 27/09/2012 20:05:08    1274000

Link

think we went back this year a bit and while we will be competitive we don't have the forwards to win a leinster, expect we may just about hang on in div 1 but we are unable to roll the dubs and Meath have proven this year that you don't need to be amazing to take us in leinster so a qualifier run awaits us again. No bad thing, many counties get very littel from the championship and our team has given us some great nights out--unfortunately this leads to unrealistic expectations at times and quality forwards will be needed to win silverware, not likely to happen.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 28/09/2012 16:43:14    1274403

Link

Of course we have come a long way, I remember only too well the bad days when I attended Kildare matches more in hope of victory than belief. However when you compare our position last year vis avis Donegal we have gone backwards. How could we go from being within a kick of the ball of Donegal last year to where we finished this year hammered by Cork (who were beaten by Donegal)? It can't all be put down to Donegal's improvement.

OntheWhiteSide (Kildare) - Posts: 452 - 29/09/2012 09:10:46    1274595

Link