Galway Forum

Mark Gottsche's New Role

(Oldest Posts First)

It's just been reported that Mark Gottsche's has been appointed Finance and Operations Manager for Galway GAA. Is he the first to be given this role or was there a previous incumbent?

Having spoke with people involved in London/UK GAA circles, the man has done good work there.

Thoughts?

streaker (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 22/07/2019 15:55:46    2214793

Link

I welcome his appointment. He has a big job to do. Galway finances are in poor shape. Sponsors are getting restless. Rugby and Soccer are huge in Galway city now. Here are some solutions:
1. focus on Galway city, there are not enough reps on the county board. Have a new plan for Galway city
2. Organize a few concerts in the Pearse stadium for next year, to help pay off the debts.
3. Sign posts for Pearse stadium. There needs to be more selling of the Galway GAA in the city.
4. Big match day, there needs to be marketing of Galway scarves and so on outside the ground.
5. Development of Tuam stadium, this needs to be looked at for 10 years down the line.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1618 - 22/07/2019 17:50:21    2214859

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "I welcome his appointment. He has a big job to do. Galway finances are in poor shape. Sponsors are getting restless. Rugby and Soccer are huge in Galway city now. Here are some solutions:
1. focus on Galway city, there are not enough reps on the county board. Have a new plan for Galway city
2. Organize a few concerts in the Pearse stadium for next year, to help pay off the debts.
3. Sign posts for Pearse stadium. There needs to be more selling of the Galway GAA in the city.
4. Big match day, there needs to be marketing of Galway scarves and so on outside the ground.
5. Development of Tuam stadium, this needs to be looked at for 10 years down the line."
Agree. They should also have a sub committee working on the new York trip already. Partialy made up of New York based people. It is a serious opportunity and needs to be milked. Extended squad should travel with non match day squad getting promotional duties to justify their trip. Should have a Galway festival over there when a black tie dinner. Each table gets a squad member (pimp them out!)

Mayo made a fortune from their game.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 988 - 26/07/2019 22:44:16    2216950

Link

How much is Galway in debt?

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 390 - 27/07/2019 11:44:37    2217041

Link

Hard to justify concerts in Pearse Stadium when they have to pay a small fortune to Salthill/Knocknacarra GAA for the use of the Prairie. Progress for floodlights should be the main objective. I don't know but I reckon nighttime games could bring bigger crowds.

ref (Galway) - Posts: 197 - 27/07/2019 16:12:44    2217124

Link

Mark Gottsche comes with a great reputation from London, which I'm told is well merited. Great to see him back in Galway. Yes there's debt but much in terms of positives to build on for the future. The fundraising opportunities in the States, UK, Australia, Canada and at home are certainly there if we can tap into them in a gracious and very professional manner.

Lots of ideas in the grassroots if there was a forum we could share them at, even if just a once-off meeting to brainstorm a few ideas with Gottsche, Mike Burke and others of the more commercially minded like PJ and KW. Galway can get much better and slicker at this.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 28/07/2019 23:03:41    2217924

Link

Think if Galway GAA had a van or whatever outside of the stadium (like Mayo GAA or Connacht Rugby) for all league and championship games selling gear they would:

1: Sell more gear = turn over more profit
2: Start to see more maroon jerseys around the county
3: Could also use it to promote the next game or club championship etc.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 601 - 29/07/2019 09:18:03    2217979

Link

His priorities need to be as follows.
1. New York and I would even take in Boston on the trip, start working on Galway Association, Connemara Gaels, Jimmy Glynn and every other person going to show up. The cruise last time worked well but a huge amount more needed.
2. Match Day, bit more effort, family fun zones etc, let a couple of players out to sign stuff/photos etc, even an Eddie the Eagle mascot thing.
3. Camps, load these with county players and get kids interested in going to games. I go now with my boys, but I know no other way. Was dragged along as a kid by my dad.
4. City, create an atmosphere linked to Galway GAA when they are playing, let people congregate in an area, Latin Qtr etc.
5. North Galway, move training every now and then to Dunmore, Williamstown, Tuam. These areas are key to our support base and they are not coming out for lots of reasons.
6. Parkmore/Valeo etc, get the multinationals more on board, jobs for players, sponsorship of any kind.
7. Social Media, pathetic at the moment.
8. Ex players,, golf outings, pre game events, breakfast mornings, all money.
9. Corporate Hospitality, let companies use Pearse Stadium, build a meeting room, I've been to Croker, it's just a room.
10. Travel, Lallys run a great service, help clubs run buses, let them park in Endas/Prairie, make it easy

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 290 - 29/07/2019 11:41:58    2218083

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "His priorities need to be as follows.
1. New York and I would even take in Boston on the trip, start working on Galway Association, Connemara Gaels, Jimmy Glynn and every other person going to show up. The cruise last time worked well but a huge amount more needed.
2. Match Day, bit more effort, family fun zones etc, let a couple of players out to sign stuff/photos etc, even an Eddie the Eagle mascot thing.
3. Camps, load these with county players and get kids interested in going to games. I go now with my boys, but I know no other way. Was dragged along as a kid by my dad.
4. City, create an atmosphere linked to Galway GAA when they are playing, let people congregate in an area, Latin Qtr etc.
5. North Galway, move training every now and then to Dunmore, Williamstown, Tuam. These areas are key to our support base and they are not coming out for lots of reasons.
6. Parkmore/Valeo etc, get the multinationals more on board, jobs for players, sponsorship of any kind.
7. Social Media, pathetic at the moment.
8. Ex players,, golf outings, pre game events, breakfast mornings, all money.
9. Corporate Hospitality, let companies use Pearse Stadium, build a meeting room, I've been to Croker, it's just a room.
10. Travel, Lallys run a great service, help clubs run buses, let them park in Endas/Prairie, make it easy"
Not sure if his priority needs to be #North Galway (comma),' anything!

Why just North Galway clubs? great idea to have training once a month in a different club so that players get a chance to have training in their home ground and also that kids etc will get to see Galway train in their own GAA clubs

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 601 - 29/07/2019 13:47:36    2218185

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Not sure if his priority needs to be #North Galway (comma),' anything!

Why just North Galway clubs? great idea to have training once a month in a different club so that players get a chance to have training in their home ground and also that kids etc will get to see Galway train in their own GAA clubs"
I'm not from North Galway but from reading the stuff on here and what I see at matches it's an area that is not coming out to support the football team in a way it has in the past for a variety of reasons which have been teased out to death on here. Maybe Tuam Stadium will be part of Mark Gottsches plans but it is an area that needs attention

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 290 - 29/07/2019 13:53:08    2218194

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I'm not from North Galway but from reading the stuff on here and what I see at matches it's an area that is not coming out to support the football team in a way it has in the past for a variety of reasons which have been teased out to death on here. Maybe Tuam Stadium will be part of Mark Gottsches plans but it is an area that needs attention"
Agreed. Get around the county build a support. Big job ahead of him but he needs to be given time. Fortunately or unfortunately NYC trip is 10 months away. Big opportunity but also means he needs to get his skates on.

Excellent idea to incorporate Boston into trip somehow.

One thing I've noticed on this site is the passion for Galway. A lot of it is negative but that is because people are hurting. It means people care and that is a good start. The is a support out there waiting for something to get behind. All you have to do is see the numbers that went to Longford.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 988 - 29/07/2019 21:51:43    2218497

Link

We need to take a deep breadth here, lets not dive into the nitty gritty ! first of all we need a plan/strategy similar to what the Dubs did with their blue wave plan. Also lets look around at other counties to see whats working well and not working well in other counties. Lets not be too proud to copy ideas that work !

The plan should set out a vision of where the county wants to go, it should be full of metrics that can be used to track our progress, we need to get the right people on board to create this plan, people who have previously created and executed on plans. A simple question do we know how many coaching sesssions each school in Galway got this year ? why did some schools get none ? how do we address this ?

Welcome back Mark !

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 29/07/2019 21:57:32    2218502

Link

Hopefully he will work with TG4 too. It is important that he works with the Irish language officer to try and boost an teanga Gaeilge in the GAA too. TG4 have great coverage of Gaelic games. I don't know has Mr Gottsche any Irish?

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1618 - 30/07/2019 10:54:37    2218643

Link

Replying To devrandom:  "We need to take a deep breadth here, lets not dive into the nitty gritty ! first of all we need a plan/strategy similar to what the Dubs did with their blue wave plan. Also lets look around at other counties to see whats working well and not working well in other counties. Lets not be too proud to copy ideas that work !

The plan should set out a vision of where the county wants to go, it should be full of metrics that can be used to track our progress, we need to get the right people on board to create this plan, people who have previously created and executed on plans. A simple question do we know how many coaching sesssions each school in Galway got this year ? why did some schools get none ? how do we address this ?

Welcome back Mark !"
I assume to get the job he has already outlined this to the powers that be. Does anyone know if Croke Park had to sign-off on the appointment?

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 855 - 30/07/2019 11:08:37    2218652

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Hopefully he will work with TG4 too. It is important that he works with the Irish language officer to try and boost an teanga Gaeilge in the GAA too. TG4 have great coverage of Gaelic games. I don't know has Mr Gottsche any Irish?"
Do you know who the current Irish Language officer? Afaik he doesn't have a word of Irish :(

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 30/07/2019 11:18:47    2218661

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "I assume to get the job he has already outlined this to the powers that be. Does anyone know if Croke Park had to sign-off on the appointment?"
It was croke Park who conducted the selection process, Galway gaa weren't included in the process

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 30/07/2019 11:19:55    2218663

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Hopefully he will work with TG4 too. It is important that he works with the Irish language officer to try and boost an teanga Gaeilge in the GAA too. TG4 have great coverage of Gaelic games. I don't know has Mr Gottsche any Irish?"
German i think

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 390 - 30/07/2019 21:13:27    2218884

Link

Is he of German extraction. Anyway it is important that he does well. Is there an email address for putting ideas to him? I would urge posters to contact him with any ideas they have.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1618 - 31/07/2019 11:45:43    2219046

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Is he of German extraction. Anyway it is important that he does well. Is there an email address for putting ideas to him? I would urge posters to contact him with any ideas they have."
His dad is German - came to Ireland and immediately embraced all that is GAA.

I'm sure Mark will bring traditional German detail and efficiency to the table - in the German household, It's almost an economic catastrophe if the Esb bill is overdue by a week.. lol

Really (Galway) - Posts: 327 - 31/07/2019 20:46:56    2219228

Link

Replying To Really:  "His dad is German - came to Ireland and immediately embraced all that is GAA.

I'm sure Mark will bring traditional German detail and efficiency to the table - in the German household, It's almost an economic catastrophe if the Esb bill is overdue by a week.. lol"
Never knew the ESB branched out to Germany...

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 31/07/2019 23:04:51    2219284

Link