Galway Forum

Abuse Of KW & Some Players

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To galwayford:  "Pearse stadium is an important asset to the GAA in Galway city."
Its not really an asset from a playing perspective- no access, terrible wind, away from the traditional strongholds of Athenry and Tuam, no doorstep support, etc.

It is an asset that can be sold for housing however. Sooner the better.

The only people I'd feel sorry for are the die hards out West- Tuam is a long way for them.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 15/07/2019 09:08:59    2211161

Link

Mayo's showing yesterday is where we are now. Beaten by Roscommon and Tyrone in our other vital games this season not to mention hockeyed by Dublin in Croker.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 15/07/2019 09:11:12    2211163

Link

The people who think they can just "sell" Pearse Stadium are as smart as the ones who decided to set up shop there 17 years ago.

HighBaIlsPlease (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 15/07/2019 18:38:24    2211513

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Its not really an asset from a playing perspective- no access, terrible wind, away from the traditional strongholds of Athenry and Tuam, no doorstep support, etc.

It is an asset that can be sold for housing however. Sooner the better.

The only people I'd feel sorry for are the die hards out West- Tuam is a long way for them."
There is a very good club- Salthill Knocknacarragh right beside Pearse stadium. So that is not true about there being no GAA. Also an Gaeltacht is a stronghold of GAA. TG4 do a great job. Salthill is within walking distance of Eyre square.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1659 - 15/07/2019 18:57:32    2211531

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I think this 'on line abuse' business is a total red herring, that is just a distraction from the real issue of how the squad performed in 2019, and whether they met any or all of their goals for the season. 'On line abuse' is completely worthless, and why anyone attached to the Galway squad would be wasting their time reading or getting upset with it is beyond me. To be honest, it has sounded like a device that KW has decided to use in order to deflect the debate away from the core issue, which is whether he & his squad are happy with their 2019 output, and whether he & his squad have the conviction that they can deliver more in 2020."
Spot on.

There's no doubt he's been very unlucky with injuries but even still its no excuse for this years pathetic championship, he still had enough talent to produce far better performances. Its simply not good enough and he has to go, we went backwards at an alarming rate this summer.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 16/07/2019 14:04:34    2211878

Link

I suppose 5 years of KW is a long time, a big chunk of playing careers of the like of Shane Walsh etc. Even the most powerful man in the world gets a 4 year term and folks are counting down to his exit. Of course Kevin Walsh can be very proud of his term and he is a giant in Galway football, this might be good time to bow out really. Still, look at Tyrone, no Sam since 2008 and Mickey is the man, 17 years plus?

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 962 - 16/07/2019 18:02:30    2211987

Link

Look at the resignations of cian o Neill, malachy o Rourke and Liam Kearns from their managerial posts. They did great jobs yet knew their time was up and they had taken their respective teams as far as they could. They resigned with dignity. Yet our great leader thinks he has something more to Galway football and we have to endure his toxic football for another year.

zidane (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 16/07/2019 18:07:36    2211989

Link

Replying To zidane:  "Look at the resignations of cian o Neill, malachy o Rourke and Liam Kearns from their managerial posts. They did great jobs yet knew their time was up and they had taken their respective teams as far as they could. They resigned with dignity. Yet our great leader thinks he has something more to Galway football and we have to endure his toxic football for another year."
Kevin hasn't said whether he's staying on one way or the other, he's earned the right to make that decision in his own time. The only thing that's toxic is the abuse he gets from you and your fellow so-called "supporters". Do everyone a favour and keep your bitter rantings to yourself, I for one am thoroughly sick of them.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 16/07/2019 18:55:15    2212007

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Mayo a bigger pick than Galway? I could be wrong but I think ye have more football clubs than us.

Btw - is Walsh staying on? That's the rumor going around today that he is staying."
On the pick I note we have 43 football clubs ( very few dual at adult level) and ye have 48 clubs (not sure how many of those are dual and 2 I see are hurling only). Point is though people quoting population and one poster saying we had 4 times the population of Mayo. That in itself is incorrect but population in itself is an incorrect yardstick. We have 3 senior football clubs in the City which has a population of 75k. While their memberships I am sure are decent a significant proportion would be non natives (greater proportionally than anywhere in the country outside Dublin) with little tie in to the county scene. That in itself is telling.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1639 - 17/07/2019 08:41:25    2212194

Link

Replying To johnjoe21:  "Kevin hasn't said whether he's staying on one way or the other, he's earned the right to make that decision in his own time. The only thing that's toxic is the abuse he gets from you and your fellow so-called "supporters". Do everyone a favour and keep your bitter rantings to yourself, I for one am thoroughly sick of them."
Can you explain to us why you want Walsh to remain as manager because I see no reason

zidane (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 17/07/2019 10:10:28    2212228

Link

Replying To zidane:  "Can you explain to us why you want Walsh to remain as manager because I see no reason"
Can you explain to us why you feel the need to attack the man cause he has the temerity to consider staying on?

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 17/07/2019 10:41:34    2212250

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "I suppose 5 years of KW is a long time, a big chunk of playing careers of the like of Shane Walsh etc. Even the most powerful man in the world gets a 4 year term and folks are counting down to his exit. Of course Kevin Walsh can be very proud of his term and he is a giant in Galway football, this might be good time to bow out really. Still, look at Tyrone, no Sam since 2008 and Mickey is the man, 17 years plus?"
Shur Mickey has 3 Sams and another final appearance with countless semi finals- that's his cover. They've tried to push him out but its his choice when he goes.
We've managed one semi final in Kevin's 5 years and are now probably ranked 7th in the country? Dublin, Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone, Mayo, Roscommon all ahead of us. I doubt we'd beat Meath as we are currently either.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 864 - 17/07/2019 10:57:19    2212257

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "I suppose 5 years of KW is a long time, a big chunk of playing careers of the like of Shane Walsh etc. Even the most powerful man in the world gets a 4 year term and folks are counting down to his exit. Of course Kevin Walsh can be very proud of his term and he is a giant in Galway football, this might be good time to bow out really. Still, look at Tyrone, no Sam since 2008 and Mickey is the man, 17 years plus?"
Yes Mickey Harte is still in charge in Tyrone but Mickey won Sam on 3 occasions and if Kevin was there for 100 years he wouldnt win Sam once. And since 2008 Tyrone have always been very competitive and could do it again this year. Kevin Walsh is no Mickey Harte.Look at Cian O Neill in Kildare he knows that after 5 years its time to go. Kevin was a good player but hes not a good manager. He has done his best but his time is up.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 149 - 17/07/2019 11:07:02    2212262

Link

We live in a time where everyone seems to be a victim and now its the footballers and its manager. Supporters venting dissapointment and frustration on a team that has let us down spectacularly on multiple occasions in the Kevin Walsh tenure are entitled to their opinions. Wanting Walsh to leave after five years and getting new management is not abuse and its disingenuous saying that.
KW has been treated fairer than any manager I can remember. When you look at Anthony Cunningham and his achievements and the way his tenure ended with the hurlers it can't be said KW has been treated unfairly.
Cunningham took over the hurlers who were in a similar situation than the footballers were when Walsh took over and got close to winning an AI, a player heave followed and the rest is history.
Walsh is never going to come within a million miles of winning an AI with this team, he knows that himself -why otherwise would he play such defeatist football.
I still believe that this Galway team has potential and under the right circumstances could challenge for the big prize, I also believe that KW doesn't/can't see what needs to be seen to make the next big steps.
Respect goes both ways and while we are at it maybe the Galway football supporters are "victims" too.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 17/07/2019 16:18:28    2212411

Link