Galway Forum

Support Our Footballers V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Marooned:  "The Mayo support has not always been like this. It's really this current team that has attracted a big following but Mayo have not had nearly the same support for many of their past sides.

I was in Castlebar in 98. There was actually a huge Galway crowd there that day. We were stuck in traffic going up there such was the amount on the road heading up."
Do any of ye remember the manager we had before KW? Do any of ye remember the FB we had before SAC?

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 09/07/2019 09:20:58    2208300

Link

Galway County Board need to make a serious effort in driving support from the county's main population centre, Galway City and adjacent commuter towns within let's say a 15km radius of the city. Having attended Galway football matches for over 35 years, I have to say that the support seems dominated by the same familiar faces that we know through the club and county scene from North Galway and Connemara/West. I wonder what kind of crowds Pearse is drawing from Salthill-Knocknacarra, Barna, James', Michaels, Oranmore-Maree, even Claregalway etc? I would hazard a guess that the stats would be pretty damning when it comes to city/suburban Galway attendance of games. These should be and can be the big bases of support if targeted correctly at a schools/underage level.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 09/07/2019 09:24:04    2208303

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "It varies here. I'm involved in my local club. The club championship games especially those between neigbouring clubs are well attended. Leagues games can be poor but often times don't suit.

It should be noted that many GAA supporters form mayo don't actually live in the county either, Dublin, Galway, UK etc...

Ironically the biggest club in the county, Castlebar Mitchell's are one of the worst supported teams in my view.

And yes as one poster said this Mayo team is very well supported but they are easy to support because they never give up or throw in the towel.

Mayo were, during my time anyway always well supported but the support has swelled in r went years..I know a few Mayo "supporters" who wouldn't be able find the front gate of their local club" so you have that bandwagon element too."
I am from the Galway/Mayo border, married to a Mayo woman etc.
Have been going to Galway games since the late 80s I guess. In that time Mayo have never been what i would call poorly supported. They always had a decent following.
But it was nothing like what they have now. As you say Yew - it has swelled in recent years.
I think 2013 was broadly the start of it. Even in 2012 I was at the AI final and there were definitely more Donegals about Dublin that weekend.
Over the past number of years though their support is unlike any other team in the country in any sport.

I even see it in the in-laws - none of whom really ever played beyond national school or would have much clue about the game in all honesty. When I started going out with my now-wife they weren't even going to championship games against us but are now going to league games as well as championship.
The support the current team have is something else though.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 642 - 09/07/2019 09:34:15    2208309

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Galway County Board need to make a serious effort in driving support from the county's main population centre, Galway City and adjacent commuter towns within let's say a 15km radius of the city. Having attended Galway football matches for over 35 years, I have to say that the support seems dominated by the same familiar faces that we know through the club and county scene from North Galway and Connemara/West. I wonder what kind of crowds Pearse is drawing from Salthill-Knocknacarra, Barna, James', Michaels, Oranmore-Maree, even Claregalway etc? I would hazard a guess that the stats would be pretty damning when it comes to city/suburban Galway attendance of games. These should be and can be the big bases of support if targeted correctly at a schools/underage level."
If you want to be really honest about it, the support from the football heartlands is pretty damning too. There wasn't a single club in North Galway that ran a bus to Limerick to my knowledge. With the motorway on its doorstep. It was mind boggling.

I strongly believe the County Board needs to mobilise supporters from all parts of the county, not just the city. Some will take more work in the grassroots than others but a major refocus is necessary.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 09/07/2019 09:38:03    2208314

Link

Galway county GAA board does not have any one from any of the City clubs on it. It is all rural clubs, all clubs from the county. This is not good. There should be at least two members from the city- it is the main population centre.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1659 - 09/07/2019 09:42:47    2208317

Link

From my experience the vast majority of city clubs and clubs within a 15k of the city are populated by mostly non galway people that have moved in from other countries for work etc many from mayo just take a look at make up of many of the club executives so they follow their own counties the reason they get involved with club's is because their children are playing I know severely galway born kids that follow their parents country

minor77 (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 09/07/2019 14:17:32    2208457

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Galway county GAA board does not have any one from any of the City clubs on it. It is all rural clubs, all clubs from the county. This is not good. There should be at least two members from the city- it is the main population centre."
The County Secretary which is an appointed paid position was from a City club up until October of 2019 and was in place for a long period of time. All other positions are nominated and voted for at the county convention. If you have an issue, join your club, go to the agm, put in a motion and have a vote. That is how it works at my club.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 342 - 09/07/2019 14:38:27    2208469

Link

Replying To minor77:  "From my experience the vast majority of city clubs and clubs within a 15k of the city are populated by mostly non galway people that have moved in from other countries for work etc many from mayo just take a look at make up of many of the club executives so they follow their own counties the reason they get involved with club's is because their children are playing I know severely galway born kids that follow their parents country"
Galway clearly going to have to put more work into the City. There's a big population there and think more needs to be done to get those who live there to the games.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 09/07/2019 14:38:33    2208470

Link

Replying To GDL:  "The County Secretary which is an appointed paid position was from a City club up until October of 2019 and was in place for a long period of time. All other positions are nominated and voted for at the county convention. If you have an issue, join your club, go to the agm, put in a motion and have a vote. That is how it works at my club."
Should say 2018 and not 2019.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 342 - 09/07/2019 18:31:22    2208585

Link