Galway Forum

Do Galway Senior Footballers Need A New Approach?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Rayo1:  "The truth hurts sometimes......we need to face up to reality or we are wasting our time."
Galway came within a kick of a ball of beating the Dubs in last year's All Ireland semi final. A missed peno would have put them 5 or 6 points up. So don't be such a neg head. (negative). If Galway start playing their traditional kick and catch style they will do well. If they start playing hand pass they will lose. End of.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1554 - 30/06/2019 18:51:41    2203052

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "If Galway can't beat any of those well in Rd 4 after a big break & with all the injured ready again, there is no hope. These teams are fatigued & with injuries from playing week in week out. A comprehensive win is to be expected, no more excuses. A defeat should end the m'ment immediately & a lot of the players as well."
Damien Comer might be injury free but certainly not match fit or sharp. I hope he will have a role to play the next day. Also Paul Conroy hardly match sharp. A few lads from the qualifier counties I know delighted with the momentum so it can work both ways.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1604 - 30/06/2019 19:04:13    2203058

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I think if Galway v mayo might be in pearse stadium as Galway and mayo have home and away arrangement I know matches are supposed be neutral will Hyde park be able take the crowd with mayo probably bring 15-18 thousand and Galway maybe 5 I know it might not happen ,"
Home and away arrangement only in place for Connacht championship unless there is a more recent arrangement to account for qualifiers etc.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1604 - 30/06/2019 19:07:05    2203059

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Galway came within a kick of a ball of beating the Dubs in last year's All Ireland semi final. A missed peno would have put them 5 or 6 points up. So don't be such a neg head. (negative). If Galway start playing their traditional kick and catch style they will do well. If they start playing hand pass they will lose. End of."
"A kick of a ball of beating the dubs".......the game was a dead rubber. Dublin had the game won before it even started. We are so far off Dublin it's not funny.

Rayo1 (Galway) - Posts: 120 - 30/06/2019 19:10:29    2203060

Link

Replying To Rayo1:  ""A kick of a ball of beating the dubs".......the game was a dead rubber. Dublin had the game won before it even started. We are so far off Dublin it's not funny."
I think Ray might be a bit of a troll

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 168 - 30/06/2019 19:13:32    2203064

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "I think Ray might be a bit of a troll"
Correct

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 629 - 30/06/2019 19:27:13    2203074

Link

A year ago in Pearse stadium, Galway drew with the mighty Dubs..

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1554 - 30/06/2019 19:32:45    2203077

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "A year ago in Pearse stadium, Galway drew with the mighty Dubs.."
In a meaningless league match........ithe championship is the only game in town.

Rayo1 (Galway) - Posts: 120 - 30/06/2019 19:37:15    2203081

Link

Replying To Rayo1:  "In a meaningless league match........ithe championship is the only game in town."
We get it Ray, you don't rate the league. You're on your own on that, or at least in a very small minority, but we live in an age where everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when it's just plain stupid.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2604 - 30/06/2019 23:23:51    2203181

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Damien Comer might be injury free but certainly not match fit or sharp. I hope he will have a role to play the next day. Also Paul Conroy hardly match sharp. A few lads from the qualifier counties I know delighted with the momentum so it can work both ways."
I'm afraid if we are hoping on comers return to boost our chances,it wont be happening,if he is seen at all it will be a 10/15 min stint,he is training but foot/ankle are not 100% and as an other poster said no match practice.
Will power take over in goal? Its anyones guess.
There is another injured player in the half back line so one definite change from connacht final.
Hopefully we get a favourable draw but if we are to go out let it be mayo or tyrone that beat us.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 149 - 30/06/2019 23:58:05    2203197

Link

I'd say Sean Cavanagh must be a great poker player. On the Sunday Game, keeoing a straight face, he pleaded with Kevin McStay not to draw Galway v Tyrone in the morning. Galway would be lucky to score zero, never mind two points in one full half v the red hand..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 310 - 01/07/2019 00:29:49    2203207

Link

Replying To Really:  "I'd say Sean Cavanagh must be a great poker player. On the Sunday Game, keeoing a straight face, he pleaded with Kevin McStay not to draw Galway v Tyrone in the morning. Galway would be lucky to score zero, never mind two points in one full half v the red hand.."
Jesus would you ever talk some sense ffs

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 629 - 01/07/2019 10:13:41    2203330

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "I'm afraid if we are hoping on comers return to boost our chances,it wont be happening,if he is seen at all it will be a 10/15 min stint,he is training but foot/ankle are not 100% and as an other poster said no match practice.
Will power take over in goal? Its anyones guess.
There is another injured player in the half back line so one definite change from connacht final.
Hopefully we get a favourable draw but if we are to go out let it be mayo or tyrone that beat us."
As long as it's not John Daly I'm ok with that .

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 01/07/2019 11:57:29    2203450

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Jesus would you ever talk some sense ffs"
How in the name of Jesus would you be "lucky to score zero"?

streaker (Galway) - Posts: 338 - 01/07/2019 13:11:49    2203518

Link

If there is one team KW knows how to beat its mayo

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 01/07/2019 13:18:13    2203525

Link

If Galway loose it should be KWs last match. Players like Shane Walsh Ian Burke Damien Comer are players that only come around every so often. These guys along with many other quality players like Power the Daly's & Martin Farragher need a manager and a management team around them to put a system in place to get the best from them. It's obvious that isn't going on at the moment and if Galway manage to beat the spuddlers then it's onto the super 8s for more torture and failing to get the best from a group of players that have serious quality and skill

Pullin.lambs1 (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 01/07/2019 13:23:42    2203530

Link

Thanks to Kevin Walsh for the 5 years, but surely he must go now.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1554 - 06/07/2019 20:55:44    2206473

Link

Another game where we only played for one half and still nearly managed the win. Over the course of the last few years this team has bottled every major championship game bar the one against Kerry (which they more than made up for the next day out!), and this worrying trend of not being able to perform under pressure looks like it's here to stay. This can only be down to how they prepare for the game and their mentality coming up to it, and there's only one person how sets that tone.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2604 - 06/07/2019 21:30:50    2206514

Link

Replying To Pullin.lambs1:  "If Galway loose it should be KWs last match. Players like Shane Walsh Ian Burke Damien Comer are players that only come around every so often. These guys along with many other quality players like Power the Daly's & Martin Farragher need a manager and a management team around them to put a system in place to get the best from them. It's obvious that isn't going on at the moment and if Galway manage to beat the spuddlers then it's onto the super 8s for more torture and failing to get the best from a group of players that have serious quality and skill"
What?? Ian burke was shocking again today, power was terrible

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 06/07/2019 21:42:51    2206535

Link

The answer to the question is obviously yes, and we also probably need to start from scratch and rebuild a new team. Apart from a few good results against Mayo and one against Kerry the KW tenure was a failure, getting wiped out by mediocre teams in big c'ship games was the norm. Of course the KW rabid loyal supporters will give you stats that will confuse the ill-informed. (2 Connacht titles, AI semi final appearance , promotion etc)
The one thing that KW couldn't deliver in his 5 years in charge was one good performance in the knock out/loser goes home part of the c'ship, in 5 years Galway didn't perform when it really counted.
Some of the displays this season were shocking, and the confidence levels of the players were low which was there to be seen, despite what they say publicly they didn't buy in the KW mantra. Walsh prepared teams left the most important component to any player behind them in dressing room and that is instinct which is the most important trait any player should have.
Looking forward there is hope and under the right circumstances Galway could be genuine challengers, the Dalys, Mcdaid, Comer, Walsh, Burke, Molloy, SAO'C (given a role further out the field) are all players that have much to offer and could have bright futures.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 76 - 10/07/2019 01:25:45    2208812

Link