Galway Forum

Feile Na Ngael Hurling/Camogie 2018

(Oldest Posts First)

Are people aware the National Feile is on this weekend , most of it staged in Galway? 576 games to be played by 5,000 kids in 3 days. No mention of it in the Connacht Tribune and not a word on the GalwayGaa.ie website.

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 08/06/2018 11:45:45    2108640

Link

I'll take that as a resounding no or else nobody is interested. You would be hard pressed to find results of the weekend anywhere. Turloughmore won Div 1 incidentally. A similar FAI competition u14 Kennedy Cup runs all this week in UL and there is extensive social media coverage inluding a dedicated website and live streaming every day of matches.

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 11/06/2018 13:55:17    2109944

Link

Replying To conordee:  "I'll take that as a resounding no or else nobody is interested. You would be hard pressed to find results of the weekend anywhere. Turloughmore won Div 1 incidentally. A similar FAI competition u14 Kennedy Cup runs all this week in UL and there is extensive social media coverage inluding a dedicated website and live streaming every day of matches."
There is a twitter page and a website with updated scores every day for both Camogie and Hurling.

Don't forget there was hundreds of games played over the weekend all over Connacht, Westmeath and Longford!

http://www.gaa.ie/feile-na-ngael/

I had a great weekend following it around, some great games. Huge crowds in Ballyhaunis yesterday for semi's and finals.

WastedTalent (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 11/06/2018 14:15:23    2109955

Link

Replying To conordee:  "I'll take that as a resounding no or else nobody is interested. You would be hard pressed to find results of the weekend anywhere. Turloughmore won Div 1 incidentally. A similar FAI competition u14 Kennedy Cup runs all this week in UL and there is extensive social media coverage inluding a dedicated website and live streaming every day of matches."
I must add also that the Kennedy Cup has only 32 teams playing over a week. The Feile Na Gael had 256 teams playing over one weekend, with every team getting at least 4 games!

WastedTalent (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 11/06/2018 14:31:36    2109967

Link

Replying To WastedTalent:  "There is a twitter page and a website with updated scores every day for both Camogie and Hurling.

Don't forget there was hundreds of games played over the weekend all over Connacht, Westmeath and Longford!

http://www.gaa.ie/feile-na-ngael/

I had a great weekend following it around, some great games. Huge crowds in Ballyhaunis yesterday for semi's and finals."
The lad on the twitter page wasnt too busy....4 tweets sent out over the 3 days so following that account wouldnt have been of much use. The whole point of twitter is instant updates on whatever is happening. Im sure it was a great weekend for everyone involved, i know the teams staying at our club had a brilliant time. I just think there could be more publicity before and after. Hard to believe there would be not a mention in the Connacht Tribune.

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 11/06/2018 20:49:03    2110226

Link

The Connacht GAA Twitter account had very regular updates all weekend. I was well informed following that account.

Anyway, the Galway GAA website is an absolute disgrace. Ugly website and hard to navigate. I wouldn't mind but the older one they had a few years back wasn't half bad! I get the impression someone with bare knowledge of website creation in the inner county board circle made this one as a cost cutting measure. I think it's an absolute embarrassment.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 176 - 12/06/2018 09:00:50    2110374

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "The Connacht GAA Twitter account had very regular updates all weekend. I was well informed following that account.

Anyway, the Galway GAA website is an absolute disgrace. Ugly website and hard to navigate. I wouldn't mind but the older one they had a few years back wasn't half bad! I get the impression someone with bare knowledge of website creation in the inner county board circle made this one as a cost cutting measure. I think it's an absolute embarrassment."
i thought the twitter updates were very poor, only random results were posted on the account ! is it really that hard to do it right ? believe me its not ..

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 12/06/2018 11:03:12    2110434

Link

Replying To devrandom:  "i thought the twitter updates were very poor, only random results were posted on the account ! is it really that hard to do it right ? believe me its not .."
maybe you should have offered your services

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 124 - 12/06/2018 11:29:13    2110458

Link

Replying To devrandom:  "i thought the twitter updates were very poor, only random results were posted on the account ! is it really that hard to do it right ? believe me its not .."
Sure you were looking at the right feed?

https://twitter.com/ConnachtGAA

That account above had great coverage on the Friday.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 176 - 12/06/2018 12:35:50    2110483

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "Sure you were looking at the right feed?

That account above had great coverage on the Friday."
for national event i would expect the results of every match ! they didn't even post the winners of the div 1 final :(

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 12/06/2018 15:00:54    2110563

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "Sure you were looking at the right feed?

That account above had great coverage on the Friday."
I thought I was following the right feed,
the official Feile na nGael account is
https://twitter.com/feilegaa which was useless.
Didnt know about the Connacht GAA one you mention which was providing good updates
I guess that just shows how difficult it is to access info.
Youre right about the GalwayGaa website, seems like something from early days of 90s internet .

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 392 - 12/06/2018 15:25:08    2110575

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "The Connacht GAA Twitter account had very regular updates all weekend. I was well informed following that account.

Anyway, the Galway GAA website is an absolute disgrace. Ugly website and hard to navigate. I wouldn't mind but the older one they had a few years back wasn't half bad! I get the impression someone with bare knowledge of website creation in the inner county board circle made this one as a cost cutting measure. I think it's an absolute embarrassment."
Oh ya the website is a disgrace. In this day in age it should be so much better. Especially for those abroad with a keen interest in local GAA news, fixtures and results etc. It would be a great service for them.
But its 2018, you should be able to look up your own club fixtures with ease, navigating the website for that is a task in itself!!

WastedTalent (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 12/06/2018 20:36:04    2110739

Link

Replying To conordee:  "I thought I was following the right feed,
the official Feile na nGael account is
https://twitter.com/feilegaa which was useless.
Didnt know about the Connacht GAA one you mention which was providing good updates
I guess that just shows how difficult it is to access info.
Youre right about the GalwayGaa website, seems like something from early days of 90s internet ."
Well yeah to be fair I just happened to be following that account and noticed the results popping up. Hadn't gone out of my way to find something so was lucky in that sense. Find the access to information in Galway GAA shocking in general.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 176 - 12/06/2018 20:37:04    2110741

Link