Galway Forum

Galway Vs Killkenny

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To baire:  ""So, let's everyone never foul again, try winning matches with that approach".
No one suggested 'that approach'. No need for the generalities. Giving a penalty away when a forward has 4 defenders to deal with is not the same as conceding a free. I know DB is now being targeted by supporters from other counties as a way of getting at the AI champions, that goes with the territory."
Agreed baire and even the current Galway selector Francis Forde stated on the Connacht Tribune that he wasn't happy giving away some of those frees albeit some of them were questionable which I also thought at the time.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 31/05/2018 19:59:31    2106084

Link

After all the misery that Kilkenny have inflicted on us over the years, I am more than happy with a comfortable win in a game in which we never looked to be in any serious trouble. Daithi Burke's hit on Scanlon could prove to be well worth it in the long run - opposition forwards might think twice before putting the head down for a run through the heart of the Galway defence from now on.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 793 - 01/06/2018 04:51:37    2106146

Link

What is the problem with Kerin - is he injured? I know he sometimes plays on the edge but no harm to have that element as long as its disciplined! Also I would prefer Duggan or Cooke to Flynn at midfield.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 01/06/2018 10:33:56    2106196

Link

I thought the ref gave some very soft frees last Sunday.He was certainly a lot more whistle happy than he was when he reffed the All Ireland final last year.Maybe someone had a word in his ear?
Regarding the penalty I have no great issue with it.Its easy to be wise after the event and say that DB should have done this or that.The KK forward was through on goal and had to be dealt with.If I had an issue with anyone it would be with the 3 lads who were drawn to Walter Walsh and left Scanlon unmarked.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 01/06/2018 12:10:41    2106229

Link

Replying To Barnowl94:  "I thought the ref gave some very soft frees last Sunday.He was certainly a lot more whistle happy than he was when he reffed the All Ireland final last year.Maybe someone had a word in his ear?
Regarding the penalty I have no great issue with it.Its easy to be wise after the event and say that DB should have done this or that.The KK forward was through on goal and had to be dealt with.If I had an issue with anyone it would be with the 3 lads who were drawn to Walter Walsh and left Scanlon unmarked."
Exactly, it's easy to use hindsight to say what Burke should or should not have done, you get one shot at it and he made the right decision in the moment. He couldn't make his decision based on a potential outcome afterwards in a split second. You do what you have to do, and he did.

Stool Pigeon (Galway) - Posts: 449 - 02/06/2018 10:25:44    2106418

Link

Replying To baire:  ""So, let's everyone never foul again, try winning matches with that approach".
No one suggested 'that approach'. No need for the generalities. Giving a penalty away when a forward has 4 defenders to deal with is not the same as conceding a free. I know DB is now being targeted by supporters from other counties as a way of getting at the AI champions, that goes with the territory."
Targeted?

Can you expand on this please?

Stool Pigeon (Galway) - Posts: 449 - 02/06/2018 10:27:02    2106420

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Agreed baire and even the current Galway selector Francis Forde stated on the Connacht Tribune that he wasn't happy giving away some of those frees albeit some of them were questionable which I also thought at the time."
So how does that work, are you blaming the players for 'fouling' or blaming the referee for 'questionable decisions'

Because you can't really have it both ways, who's fault is the free count, the referee or the players?

Frees happen in every game.

Seems to me like you are looking for the kind of perfection that doesn't exist, from players and referee.

Stool Pigeon (Galway) - Posts: 449 - 02/06/2018 10:30:40    2106423

Link

Replying To Stool Pigeon:  "So how does that work, are you blaming the players for 'fouling' or blaming the referee for 'questionable decisions'

Because you can't really have it both ways, who's fault is the free count, the referee or the players?

Frees happen in every game.

Seems to me like you are looking for the kind of perfection that doesn't exist, from players and referee."
Two different things Stool so its not having "it both ways" but I think you are only feigning ignorance as is your wont. There were some questionable decisions against Galway no doubt but I didn't say the Burke foul was one of them. I said that it was avoidable as Reid doesn't miss too many penalties and it kept KK in the game when Galway were well in control. Even Henry Shefflin said that Michael Donoghue would be raging about it when there was no need to do it.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 02/06/2018 17:49:05    2106517

Link

Replying To Stool Pigeon:  "Targeted?

Can you expand on this please?"
A bit of reflection now on your part and I'm sure you'll work it out! Interesting that DB was one of the first if not the first player to get a yellow last Saturday. Coincidence?

baire (Galway) - Posts: 784 - 04/06/2018 10:59:58    2107207

Link