Galway Forum

Athenry And Sunday Indo

(Oldest Posts First)

Big article in Sunday Indo and online by Paul Kimmage in relation to Athenry GAA. Anyone know whats going on .The club didn't come out great in the article or the County Board/Croke Park for that matter but theirs 2 sides to every story

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 343 - 08/05/2018 11:11:23    2097234

Link

I have not read the article. But I do know the Sindo is fairly hostile to Gaelic games. So I would treat it with a pinch of salt.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1705 - 08/05/2018 20:07:48    2097390

Link

Wondering what all the talk was about. Would respect kimmage as an investigive journalist and how he exposed Lance Armstrong and his use of drugs in cycling.
Just read the article on line twice. Truly shocking. Mob mentally rules in some quarters. Well done to these parents. That club should hang there head in shame. The county board and croke park are to blame for not dealing with these concerns when they arose initially. Typical and not surprised. Sweep in under the carpet mentally and it will go away. Appaulling behavior and such incompetence from people in authority who should know better.

padthepostman (Galway) - Posts: 116 - 08/05/2018 21:49:05    2097404

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "I have not read the article. But I do know the Sindo is fairly hostile to Gaelic games. So I would treat it with a pinch of salt."
Having read the article i'd agree the club to an extent doesn't come out of it well insofar as it appears they could have reacted quicker. However the club say they tried to get complainants to meet but were refused.

If the letter of the law as Mr Kimmage expects was applied I'd imagine there wouldn't be too many clubs in compliance, but at the same time children should be encouraged and helped to reach their maximum potential.
The reality is that you can't be shouting/cursing at kids if you want them to play , they have too many other options available to them as an outlet so why would they bother.

The other issue that arises is if you ask any under age coach they will tell you the issue they have is mainly with the parents not the children. To be honest it's a thankless task to coach underage.

Glanfan2 (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 08/05/2018 22:01:16    2097407

Link

A parent wanting his 10 year old son to play with the U14s and Kimmage doesn't question that.

If that kid got injured then the anti GAA Independent would have another field day.

I don't know the man in question but he was 100% correct in not allowing those children to play. He obviously should have done so in the presence of another parent.

I coach another sport here in Australia. When you substitute a child it's their parents that are put out and not the kids. We receive and read out feedback from parents at committee meetings and almost 100% of the time it's the same troublesome parents who don't lift a finger from the start of the year to the finish.

GalwayDownUnder (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 09/05/2018 09:14:58    2097446

Link

I got to say when I read the headline, I automatically thought the story was going to be about something else. When it turned out to be a case of a coach acting poorly, the club backing him and then dealing with the issue even worse I really had to question why we had 2 pages in a national newspaper devoted to such a matter. Does such a story warrant the attention let alone the headline?
Kimmage will of course say yes and point the finger at child welfare. The way in which he projected both sides of the story lacks a lot balance. The transcripts of the phone conversations at the end of the piece project the respondents in a very poor light. Had he conveyed the complainants piece in the same way the story wouldn't have had as strong a foundation.
No matter what way you swing it, the club and the men involved have a case to answer for. Do they need to answer it via a Sunday Newspaper 2 page spread under such a hyperbolic headline, I don't think so.

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 903 - 09/05/2018 09:41:27    2097454

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "I have not read the article. But I do know the Sindo is fairly hostile to Gaelic games. So I would treat it with a pinch of salt."
Maybe you should read the article prior to commenting. All media will go after anyone that gives them a story.
The issue of bad language should be addressed.
However the main issue here it seems to me is how two under 12 players could be put on an under 14 team just because they didn't like the under 12 setup.
Did the club allow this to happen?
Under 12s, 10 year olds in this case it seems, were allowed play under 14. There kids are in primary school while the under 14s are in first or second year in secondary school. How could they be allowed near the under 14 setup? This is surely not good for their welfare for a huge number of reasons. And the parents wanted this???
The club needs to get its policies in order.

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 124 - 09/05/2018 09:52:16    2097457

Link

It is the Parents duty to explain to their children that team sports are separate to individual sports.

If Parents are whinging and complaining about there son/daughter not playing what kind of an example does that set.
Coaches are volunteers who aspire to get the best out of every individual while promoting a team ethos.

u10s wanting to play u14s because they don't like the set up is totally wrong. they will not improve sitting on a bench for the 14s while there mates are gradually learning the basic skills back in u 10s/12s

TribalThing (Galway) - Posts: 74 - 09/05/2018 09:55:49    2097458

Link

Irrespective of their preconceived ideas of who is right and wrong the complaint should have been investigated following all protocols. The truth would then out. It also leaves a cloud over the named individuals.

The whole "rallying the troops" and we support our coaches mentality does them no service. People sending emails of support when they are not privy to the facts. Ridiculous and the club loses lots of credibility.

It has to be remembered that club officials are generally doing this in their spare time and are not experts in how to handle these things. So I will cut them some slack on this. I also believe that it is a good club, run by genuine people and very important in the community. But the messed up.

They should now forget about what has gone before. Go to the relevant GAA authorities, say we made a balls of the procedures. Where do we go from here. Help us to put this right.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1025 - 09/05/2018 11:18:47    2097488

Link

Whether it warrants a 2 page spread is a matter how seriously one takes children protection and best practices working with them. Using filty and threateninglanguage on an on going basis is totally unacceptable.
We seem to ignore the fact that parents are entitled to complain about such matters. As a previous poster said parents and their children are gravitating to other sports because we seem to have a huge problem accepting crticicism send corrections in these matters, not to mention acting quickly before things get out of hand as happened in this case
Hopefully this will be a watershed for an end to this behavior and a wake up call to people in authority from croke park down to club officials that this cannot continue., And if it does more clubs will be amalgamating because of a lack of members.

padthepostman (Galway) - Posts: 116 - 09/05/2018 11:27:23    2097492

Link

I read the two pager twice, and while it hardly warrants treatment as a national scandal there are a number of questions requiring answers.

1. While it was sheer carelessness(and stupid) to talk to the young lads alone, was the conversation about not playing for the u14s since they were only 11 or was he having a cut at the u14 manager? He most certainly not telling them they would never play for the club again.
2. Where was the club Childrens Officer in all of this? They must have one as all clubs do. That should have been dealt with by him/her before it went any further, assuming of course the complainants knew who that person was in the club.

I have no knowledge whatsoever of St Mary's but I do know the systems that most clubs now operate, and from my experience they work well if procedures are followed. In this case it would seem that Athenry displayed a degree of arrogance that does not do them any favours. It appears that their record as self proclaimed standard bearers in Galway gives them a right to give two fingers to both the CB and Croker Park during the operation of due process.

On the bad language issue, yes it happens, but again from my experience it is being weeded out as coaching gets better. Most of the Neanderthals are in the parental support category and not on the pitch anymore. If Athenry have a few of these lads, regardless of their standing in the club they need 'rehabilitation '

I suspect other agendas at work here, probably of a personal nature, and a few individuals on both sides have allowed it to spiral out of control, when the sensible thing was to sort it out in-house and not get plastered all over the national papers.

onthebench (None) - Posts: 35 - 09/05/2018 22:43:01    2097708

Link

Always found Anhenry hurling people to be decent skins....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 09/05/2018 23:24:04    2097720

Link

Ah sure this has been coming for the last few years. They are a dual club - per say, ya?? The way they treat the underage football out there is a national disgrace too. Image telling kids who want to play football, sorry we're not going to allow any underage football training in this 'dual' club. Blaming the lack of success of the senior hurling team on underage football.

Something is rotten within the club and they'd be better off picking a brand new committee next year with forward thinking people.

MTS (Galway) - Posts: 252 - 10/05/2018 14:43:50    2097857

Link

Much Ado over nothing. I've had trainers who used colourful and emotive language all throughout my GAA career and it didn't do me one bit of harm (unless you count a couple of divorces!!). In fact I think it brought the best out in me.

I transferred football clubs within county Galway to get more game time and as successful a decision that was for me I hope it doesn't happen with the kids involved here.

DaveDangleberry (Galway) - Posts: 50 - 10/05/2018 16:37:52    2097916

Link

Replying To padthepostman:  "Wondering what all the talk was about. Would respect kimmage as an investigive journalist and how he exposed Lance Armstrong and his use of drugs in cycling.
Just read the article on line twice. Truly shocking. Mob mentally rules in some quarters. Well done to these parents. That club should hang there head in shame. The county board and croke park are to blame for not dealing with these concerns when they arose initially. Typical and not surprised. Sweep in under the carpet mentally and it will go away. Appaulling behavior and such incompetence from people in authority who should know better."
Snowflakes, it's a pity some of these underage players couldn't be transported back to the 70s or 80s where we had to cycle 10 miles to and from training and matches and have our backsides kicked if we put a foot out of line.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 11/05/2018 11:53:00    2098425

Link