Galway Forum

2017 Hurling All Stars

(Oldest Posts First)

Winning 7 out of 15 All Stars and providing the spine of 3, 6, 9, 11 and 14 is a powerful tribute to Galway Hurling in 2017 - who were fortunate to get the selection and who should be most grieved?

First of all the 7 Galway selections are fully deserving of their awards and believe we should have received a few more with Harte, Coen and Joseph Cooney being the obvious exclusions. Also, cannot understand why the inclusion of two Waterford half-forwards, these guys are approaching end of career and one more often than not was an early withdrawal for most matches, certainly Joseph Cooney should have been selected ahead of Walsh. Harte will get his reward later in the year!

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 02/11/2017 11:13:22    2059723

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "Winning 7 out of 15 All Stars and providing the spine of 3, 6, 9, 11 and 14 is a powerful tribute to Galway Hurling in 2017 - who were fortunate to get the selection and who should be most grieved?

First of all the 7 Galway selections are fully deserving of their awards and believe we should have received a few more with Harte, Coen and Joseph Cooney being the obvious exclusions. Also, cannot understand why the inclusion of two Waterford half-forwards, these guys are approaching end of career and one more often than not was an early withdrawal for most matches, certainly Joseph Cooney should have been selected ahead of Walsh. Harte will get his reward later in the year!"
100% agree with you TOC. Harte & Cooney should be in ahead of David Burke (almost cost us the semi he was so bad) and Brick. P Mannion lucky enough to get it but saying that I can think of nobody better in that position and he was solid. I actually thought that no2 position was a flick of a coin between Hanbury & Tuohy but in fairness Mannion was a shade ahead of those especially under the high ball.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 264 - 02/11/2017 12:34:26    2059743

Link

Joseph Cooney very unfortunate. Had a phenomenal year. Glad who proved myself and many others wrong in the last two years for doubting him.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 167 - 02/11/2017 12:55:36    2059749

Link

David Burke def deserves one.

I thought Hansbury, Coen and Joe Cooney very unlucky.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 138 - 02/11/2017 12:57:37    2059750

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "100% agree with you TOC. Harte & Cooney should be in ahead of David Burke (almost cost us the semi he was so bad) and Brick. P Mannion lucky enough to get it but saying that I can think of nobody better in that position and he was solid. I actually thought that no2 position was a flick of a coin between Hanbury & Tuohy but in fairness Mannion was a shade ahead of those especially under the high ball."
That is an dreadful comment about David Burke. Go back and look at the video and you will see no one worked harder. Just because a few so called pundits criticized him is no reason to ape them. He has had a brilliant year in keeping with the high standards he always sets. Id ignore Duignan and Jamsie with their usual irrelevant comments.

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 118 - 02/11/2017 13:05:54    2059755

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "That is an dreadful comment about David Burke. Go back and look at the video and you will see no one worked harder. Just because a few so called pundits criticized him is no reason to ape them. He has had a brilliant year in keeping with the high standards he always sets. Id ignore Duignan and Jamsie with their usual irrelevant comments."
Dreadful??!! Its totally accurate... A shocking performance from midfield in a game we won by the skin of our teeth and ultimately the class of Canning - therefore he did almost cost us the game.. FACT... And what are you on about, Duignan loves the lad Burke... hes always praising him.. one thing u cant criticise Duignan on is inconsistency because he has glorified David Burke at every opportunity since 2010...

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 264 - 02/11/2017 13:56:15    2059771

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "That is an dreadful comment about David Burke. Go back and look at the video and you will see no one worked harder. Just because a few so called pundits criticized him is no reason to ape them. He has had a brilliant year in keeping with the high standards he always sets. Id ignore Duignan and Jamsie with their usual irrelevant comments."
In fairness to Clare Sparrow, he's being consistent. After all he was calling for David Burke to be dropped from the team from the final!! Thankfully that call fell on deaf ears!!

From a Galway point of view, Joseph Cooney is the one that is most unlucky to lose out. Tbh I dont think we had any other player who deserved it. Harte was in pole position to get an All Star going into the final but he completely forgot how to play the sweeper role in the final and was at fault for Waterford's first goal, so he lost it on that mistake alone in my opinion. Hanbury may have had a better case but hadn't done enough in previous game and again made what could have been a match-losing basic error in the final (the time when he blatently picked the ball off the ground).

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1307 - 02/11/2017 14:56:01    2059793

Link

did Brick Walsh do enough to get the gong ahead of Joseph Cooney?

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 02/11/2017 15:13:40    2059795

Link

I think aidan harte was hard done by. Was a solid performer all year.

WillieWarrior (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 02/11/2017 16:26:44    2059811

Link

David Burke totally deserved his allstar. I think Aidan Harte, Joseph Cooney and possibly Adrian Touhy were very unlucky. Callanan was in with a good shout until his blunders in the final.

VictorMeldrew (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 02/11/2017 22:13:03    2059903

Link

We got 7 All-Stars which equals our previous best in 1988. It's a remarkable achievement in the current championship compared to the old system where Galway played two games to win the title. (The most won by a single county is 9, achieved by KK a couple of times- surprise surprise!)
There are strong claims for Joseph Cooney, Johnny Coen and maybe one more, but you have to agree that the other winners were consistently strong in their respective positions. We have done brilliantly with HOTY and YHOTY to be decided yet.

onthebench (None) - Posts: 35 - 02/11/2017 22:18:25    2059906

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "Dreadful??!! Its totally accurate... A shocking performance from midfield in a game we won by the skin of our teeth and ultimately the class of Canning - therefore he did almost cost us the game.. FACT... And what are you on about, Duignan loves the lad Burke... hes always praising him.. one thing u cant criticise Duignan on is inconsistency because he has glorified David Burke at every opportunity since 2010..."
Bloody hell!!! I remember you calling for David Burke to be dropped for the final. If that had happened, we probably would have lost. What is your issue with Burke? No player can be outstanding in every single game - there has been a few big games where Joe Canning had little or no impact but he is still our key man. Burke has consistently been one of the top midfielders in the country for the last few years and his all-star is well deserved.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 791 - 02/11/2017 23:40:36    2059933

Link

Replying To Gaillimh_Abu:  "Bloody hell!!! I remember you calling for David Burke to be dropped for the final. If that had happened, we probably would have lost. What is your issue with Burke? No player can be outstanding in every single game - there has been a few big games where Joe Canning had little or no impact but he is still our key man. Burke has consistently been one of the top midfielders in the country for the last few years and his all-star is well deserved."
Burke has 4 deserved all stars & I except a couple more on de horizon. from galway only Joe Cooney & Pete Finnerty have more in de history of de game - surely that means something.

BigNualaBurke (Galway) - Posts: 77 - 03/11/2017 14:32:56    2060127

Link

Daithi Burke and David Burke are after winning three all stars consecutively some feat very few can say that expect the likes of Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh shows us just how good they are.
Daithi must surely be heading to the status of one of the all time great full backs

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 03/11/2017 16:59:52    2060179

Link

The 7 lads who got their All stars are well deserved; there will be always 1 or 2 who would have been there thereabouts & feel unlucky eg Harte, Cooney & Hanbury. Great Achievement. Hopefully to win the POTY & YPOTY Later.

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 03/11/2017 17:17:32    2060188

Link

Joseph Cooney the most unluckiest. Huge contibution in key games. In truth 7 is a decent return for any all ireland victor. if Cooney got in someone else would have been sacrificed. It happened in the football with Parsons sacrficed for O'Shea.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1639 - 04/11/2017 12:14:36    2060414

Link

When you look at the standard of performance out of Hanbury, Tuohy & Harte in every single game they played all season, and consider that they were the half of our defense that wasn't allstared, it tells all you need to know about the standard of defense that's required to win all-irelands.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2297 - 04/11/2017 20:56:21    2060492

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "did Brick Walsh do enough to get the gong ahead of Joseph Cooney?"
Good question and the answer to it is a resounding 'No'.
Would 'Brick" get into the Galway or Tipp forward lines? Doubt it.Sentimental selection.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 05/11/2017 14:53:09    2060588

Link