Galway Forum

Galway vs Donegal

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Flaherty:  "As one of the Nay sayers I see no reason to make apologies. We don't want GALWAY to LOSE no more than you! On the contrary Kevin Walsh adopted all of the changes we'd been calling for (I was just one of several posters making these points!), i.e. drop Lavelle, quit the silly short kickouts and go long, bring Comer out the field and concentrate on winning possession above all else, press up on the opposition kickouts instead of giving free possessions away...not to mention drop O'Curraoin and bring back Armstrong and it all worked, how about that!

Credit to KW at the 11th hour to admit the error of his ways but it still irks to think of all the wasted opportunities to employ these tactics long before now. How much more developed the team would have been if these strategies had been worked on all winter and spring...not just the Mayo and Ross games. We now have just one week to work on and refine these tactics...what a shambles and just not good enough!

All credit to the team for showing such backbone, I think they could yet be a good team but the jury must still be out on why management took till now to see what was so obvious to so many of us ordinary fans. Can't see them beating kerry but if they are to do it...they must put winning possession and taking the game to kerry uppermost as the full only way our full backline will survive is if it doesn't come under the pressure I fear it will! Ian Burke a mainstay...suggesting Cummins is nonsense, he wastes two out of every three chances and has poor peripheral vision...tries hard though!"
O'Curraoin wasn't dropped he is injured

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 236 - 25/07/2017 20:36:14    2023466

Link

Replying To Jellybaby:  "O'Curraoin wasn't dropped he is injured"
FOC will definitely still be "injured" for the rest of the year now

AustinGleeson6 (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 26/07/2017 08:51:56    2023639

Link

Would find it hard to imagine FOC ever getting back into this Galway side considering his lacklustre performances for the senior team the last 4/5 years.

NathinButSteel (Galway) - Posts: 115 - 26/07/2017 09:53:00    2023671

Link

Replying To Jellybaby:  "O'Curraoin wasn't dropped he is injured"
Ok, he was injured...my faux pas. Then it reflects even less well on KW...as dropping Fintan was the right decision but Kevin didn't get to make it. I do however, think Fintan has a role to play off the bench and it's a shame we can't use his fielding ability somewhere as a starter in the team. You would think he could be an option at full forward even if it's only a second half option. Now that i think of it, is it possible KW has had Fintan and Damien Comer the wrong way round (position wise) this time...?

Should have been checked out before now!

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 26/07/2017 11:24:41    2023749

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "Ok, he was injured...my faux pas. Then it reflects even less well on KW...as dropping Fintan was the right decision but Kevin didn't get to make it. I do however, think Fintan has a role to play off the bench and it's a shame we can't use his fielding ability somewhere as a starter in the team. You would think he could be an option at full forward even if it's only a second half option. Now that i think of it, is it possible KW has had Fintan and Damien Comer the wrong way round (position wise) this time...?

Should have been checked out before now!"
Sorry..."all this time"!

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 78 - 26/07/2017 11:38:22    2023759

Link