Galway Forum

Playing in America for summer

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The problem here is that no deliberate wrong doing took place. Turlough had nothing to gain by looking for a sanction for their player before he was actually heading to the US.. so if a rule was broken at all, it obviously was a question of when the request was submitted and therefore an admin error. For the player to be suspended, the club fined and also to loose the points to Portumna would be wrong. The punishment does not fit the crime in this case. Of course Portumna feel aggrieved because they lost the game on the field which has been magnified by the loss to St Thomas' at the weekend but to try to have the result over turned is in bad taste especially as the player in question is a legitimate Turloughmore player. Come on lads there has to be sense of fair play. I'm not saying that rules be ignored or swept under the table because if a club deliberately plays an illegal player from lets say another club or county then there must be a penalty but in this case no rule has deliberately or otherwise been broken. Win on the field of play..

westernpass (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 12/07/2017 08:44:43    2015381

Link

Very well put

VictorMeldrew (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 12/07/2017 10:43:02    2015435

Link

So what the last two posts are saying that its ok to play ILLEGAL PLAYERS in Galway!! There is no grey area in this situation the player signed a form to go to America on the 1st june he played a championship game with his club on the 3rd june regardless of what he scored or not he was ILLEGAL and NOT INSURED TO PLAY!! Had he got injured in that game what would have happened? The County Board were made aware of the situation and by all accounts have chosen to ignore it. what message does that send out?!!

dontknow (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 12/07/2017 14:02:24    2015587

Link

Replying To dontknow:  "Posted this question before, what has the hurlers chances of winning an All Ireland got to do with a club fielding an ILLEGAL PLAYER IN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME??? Having seen the hurling Cork/Waterford played at the weekend, there will have to be a better reason put forward when we don't the All Ireland. Rules are rules and it states quite clearly on the CROKE PARK list of players that had signed TRANSFER PAPERS that the player in question had TRANSFERRED on JUNE 1st 2017. and he played for his club on June 3rd. The club then loses the game and is fined. End of story.!!!"
You say in the Quoted post "Posted this question before" etc. Where did you post it. Yankee posted that question tbh. Are you the same person under two different user names. Look you obviously are from or indeed play for Portumna and want the 2 points from the Turloughmore game. There is no rule broken, the player in question, from Turloughmore played for his club as he was entitled to do. This was upheld by the county board and as established was due to administration error over two days (1st of June 3rd of June). You want to punish them not to uphold the "rule book" but to take the points you didn't win on the field. I also wouldn't be afraid of how either Cork or Waterford played at the weekend as I believe Galway are as good as any team left in the competition. However , if Turlough were fined and the player suspended but the points remain the same would that satisfy your need for "justice"

westernpass (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 12/07/2017 15:27:57    2015652

Link

Replying To westernpass:  "You say in the Quoted post "Posted this question before" etc. Where did you post it. Yankee posted that question tbh. Are you the same person under two different user names. Look you obviously are from or indeed play for Portumna and want the 2 points from the Turloughmore game. There is no rule broken, the player in question, from Turloughmore played for his club as he was entitled to do. This was upheld by the county board and as established was due to administration error over two days (1st of June 3rd of June). You want to punish them not to uphold the "rule book" but to take the points you didn't win on the field. I also wouldn't be afraid of how either Cork or Waterford played at the weekend as I believe Galway are as good as any team left in the competition. However , if Turlough were fined and the player suspended but the points remain the same would that satisfy your need for "justice""
I'm only in it once anyway. Yes I'm am from Portumna no problem saying that u must be from turlough as well as Tommie. explain this clerical error to me pls who made it and how? Easiest thing for the county board too to put this to bed was blame it on a error on there part. U have said Portumna will get the points from the game but that is completely wrong Portumna will not gain any points from it. As far as I'm concerned turlough broke the rule again for the county board not to do anything about it in the first place is absolutely appalling & really puts in to question their professionalism and practise as a county board.

yankee1 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 12/07/2017 20:10:36    2015793

Link

Replying To yankee1:  "I'm only in it once anyway. Yes I'm am from Portumna no problem saying that u must be from turlough as well as Tommie. explain this clerical error to me pls who made it and how? Easiest thing for the county board too to put this to bed was blame it on a error on there part. U have said Portumna will get the points from the game but that is completely wrong Portumna will not gain any points from it. As far as I'm concerned turlough broke the rule again for the county board not to do anything about it in the first place is absolutely appalling & really puts in to question their professionalism and practise as a county board."
Yankee i think its time for you to go to the States, i will sign the forms

tommie (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 12/07/2017 20:47:32    2015809

Link

Replying To yankee1:  "I'm only in it once anyway. Yes I'm am from Portumna no problem saying that u must be from turlough as well as Tommie. explain this clerical error to me pls who made it and how? Easiest thing for the county board too to put this to bed was blame it on a error on there part. U have said Portumna will get the points from the game but that is completely wrong Portumna will not gain any points from it. As far as I'm concerned turlough broke the rule again for the county board not to do anything about it in the first place is absolutely appalling & really puts in to question their professionalism and practise as a county board."
Well Yankee. Let us know how your appeal to the DRA went?

VictorMeldrew (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 13/07/2017 08:07:02    2015905

Link

Replying To tommie:  "Yankee i think its time for you to go to the States, i will sign the forms"
Your ok Tommie no guarantee u will get the paper right there either

yankee1 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 13/07/2017 10:34:25    2015973

Link

No point in continuing this discussion, obviously Portumna are seen to be the " bad guys" in this problem. So from now on clubs can chance playing ILLEGAL/UNINSURED players and if they are found out they can refer back to this case. Nothing changes in galway,

dontknow (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 13/07/2017 12:24:33    2016044

Link

Replying To VictorMeldrew:  "Well Yankee. Let us know how your appeal to the DRA went?"
Sit back and relax victor all good things take time.

yankee1 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 13/07/2017 19:59:29    2016253

Link

Replying To yankee1:  "Sit back and relax victor all good things take time."
Might get Trump to build a wall around yankee to cool him down

tommie (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 13/07/2017 23:18:26    2016311

Link

Replying To yankee1:  "Sit back and relax victor all good things take time."
Thought there was very little interest in this but now I think the moderator may be removing any posts with factual references. Anyway let's sit back and let the good ol appeals process kick in.

VictorMeldrew (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 14/07/2017 09:00:09    2016369

Link

The silence from the county board on this is nothing short of disgraceful!looks like they tried to sweep it under the carpet & are now trying to cover there tracks!

galway21 (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 20/07/2017 17:31:31    2020152

Link

This is far from over as far as I am aware

AustinGleeson6 (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 21/07/2017 10:47:07    2020438

Link

Other cases awaiting the outcome in Galway & if nothing happens then the Galway case is going to be used as reference which will lead to the collapse of the transfer system with "admin" errors. Unlikely that Croke Park will allow this to be swept under the carpet or listen to another sob story from the Galway County board. The rule & deadline is there for a reason, one exception due to an "admin" error will result in chaos for the running of the whole scheme. The usual rigmarole of referring it back to the board, to the Connacht Council, CCCC, DRA, Croke Park will now ensue. What's amazing is that nobody bats an eyelid in that once again it's Galway GAA involved. Croke Park must be sick of them at this stage from the floodlights in the Stadium, the multi million Mountain South debt, to the Anthony Cunningham debate, it's always something & for those in the know it's only the tip of the iceberg.

Uimhir.a.3. (Galway) - Posts: 409 - 21/07/2017 11:41:31    2020466

Link

Replying To AustinGleeson6:  "This is far from over as far as I am aware"
Don't understand why Austin Gleeson would be posting here in the Galway forum. Surely you should be focusing on the rest of the Championship?

Whatever happens, I'm a big fan.

BigNualaBurke (Galway) - Posts: 77 - 22/07/2017 11:32:39    2020836

Link